PDA

View Full Version : Who has Zero's ???..........

Big Muddy
06-28-2013, 12:23 AM
As in zero-turn-radius mowers....my John Deere 54 inch cut LX280 is only 3 years old, and does a fantastic job, each and every week, on our 2 acre yard.

Wifey keeps harping about getting a zero-turn....h3ll, she doesn't even mow the yard, anymore....just watches to make sure the yard boy does it correctly.

They're more expensive, but they do look fun to drive.

Anywho, for you guys who own a zero-turn, are they necessarily any better or faster???

Thumper
06-28-2013, 12:28 AM
Better? Yes!
Faster? Yes!
Do I own one? No! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
06-28-2013, 12:32 AM
I have a Deere ZTR thats three years old. Best mpwer I've ever owned. It'll run you into a tree quicker'n shit if you have a serious thought.
BKB

Big Muddy
06-28-2013, 12:51 AM
What size is your deck???

I said, "what size is your deck"....NOT your dick!!! ;)

Captain
06-28-2013, 06:36 AM
The last three mowers we have had were all John Deere zero turn.
I have so much to mow at the SC farm we bought the biggest one they make now. It's a 997 diesel zero turn with a 72 inch deck, I said deck.....
They are fast and the best way to mow. The only thing wrong with them is they will make you angry you did not buy one sooner.
I HIGHLY recommend one.
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Niner
06-28-2013, 07:37 AM
We bought one of the Cub Cadet Zero Turners when they first came out at the Lowes. We got it mainly for cutting the grass/weeds down at The Farm, which is....I'd estimate about maybe 10 acres give or take. Had to replace the blades about once a year due to wifie hitting rocks and such (the woman LOVES to cut her some grass).

She had a bad habit of cutting too close to the edge of the lake, and the SECOND one of the tires got mudded-up, it was stuck and I'd have to get the tractor, or something to pull it out of the mud. SO, I fixed that issue by getting some ATV knobby tires at the Tractor Supply. After I put those tires on, the thing was (and is) like a goat. It cuts the back side of the dam like it was flat....but we did put a concrete cap block where your feets go to keep the front end down. Prolly not one of the ways Cub would say to use their mower!

We have since "retired" that mower to the house yard, and replaced it with a Kubota B model 4x4 with a 5' finish mower (but that's another story).

We are looking at getting our "smallish" yard here at the house sodded with some centipede grass to replace my seasonal weed patch of clovers and whatnots. So I will be changing the knobby tires out and putting the stock ones back on as the knobbys can really tear up some grass if you turn toooo quickly.

OH.....deck size is 52" and that is almost too big to fit onto my utility trailer, which may or may not be something you might need to consider if you think you might need to haul it somewhere sometime.

In all of the abuse we put that mower through down at The Farm, the only thing that ever broke on it was one of the two cables that holds the deck up broke. And that was an easy fix!

I do think the Zero Turn units allow one to cut a LOT faster. Mainly because they can literally turn on a dime if you want to, and doing a "three point turn around" takes a fraction of the time it does with a regular riding mower. AND you can cut reallllllllly close to your trees and sidewalks and whatever, and that cuts down on the weed-wacker time.

Arty
06-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Gravely and Dixie are both good units as well.
If you got big hills in your yard think twice before getting one.

Buckrub
06-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Grasshopper
Gravelly

Thumper
06-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Grass grows down here year-round and it seems most of the yard maintenance people here use Dixie Chopper. I assume that means something.

Niner
06-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Wellllll...if we're talking professional grade stuff, then don't forget Exmark.

Captain
06-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Grass grows down here year-round and it seems most of the yard maintenance people here use Dixie Chopper. I assume that means something.

That does mean something, it means they are mowing postage stamp size yards...
If Eddie has the acreage to mow that I do he will look at John Deere, Exmark, or Gravely.
Dixie Choppers are the fastest mowers but you need them little well landscaped yuppie yards that are all level and planted with sod with no holes and run off ditches etc....
For farm yards where there is always tractor ruts, washes, holes, and general non landscaped mowing conditions you need a different mower.
Take Care, Captain

Captain
06-28-2013, 03:23 PM
I just checked and the Dixie Chopper says its the fastest mower but its top speed is 15 MPH.
The John Deere 997 I have is 31 horse power 3 cylinder diesel and top speed is 18.5 MPH.
So I guess Dixie Chopper is wrong in their claim.
Take Care, Captain

Thumper
06-28-2013, 03:43 PM
I don't know squat about the ZT's ... you may be right about the Dixie Chopper ... the yard maint. guys around here are doing "landscaped" lawns. It's just what I seem to notice on the majority of the yard dude's trailers around here. On the rough stuff, I always used a bush hog! ;)

Buckrub
06-28-2013, 04:36 PM
Huh?

You mean Toyota doesn't make mowers?

Geez.

Honda does. Surely they're way better, no?

Thumper
06-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Well, yeah ... if you want a PUSH mower. Remember, they (Honda) makes the little stuff ... they leave the big penis envy stuff up to us.

Honda makes mowers ... Toyota makes forklifts. ;)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zDOC-V43yeM/TcLuMqUAVUI/AAAAAAAAByg/8t9W7qfor-E/s1600/Toyota_Forklift.jpg

Buckrub
06-28-2013, 04:42 PM
And I make trouble.

Fido
06-28-2013, 04:49 PM
I have a Gravely 260Z model, 25 hp Kawasaki,60 in. deck, bought it new in 2000. I have approx 4.5 acres tooo mow, it takes me approx 2hrs. 40 min. I have hills and got my dealer tooo put cleated tires on it, no problems. The only dislike is changing blades, the deck does not pivot up like some of the other models, the Gravely blades have some kind of alloy that makes them hold an edge for a longer time. This was told tooo me by a dealer. but the biggest plus is that zero turn mowers are ergonomic friendly, just a small amount of hand movement controls speed and direction. your not tired after you've finished.

Thumper
06-28-2013, 04:52 PM
A Gravely 260Z? You sure you don't mean an old Datsun 260Z? ;)

Great to see you dropping in here Fido. Quit being such a stranger.

Fido
06-28-2013, 04:56 PM
just can't get your brain off them ferign cars jimmy!!!

Buckrub
06-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Amen Bill..........he's a myopic person for being so large..........

Thumper
06-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Huh?

You mean Toyota doesn't make mowers?

Geez.

Honda does. Surely they're way better, no?

Hey! Bucky started it!

Buckrub
06-28-2013, 05:19 PM
It's what curmudgeons do.

Niner
06-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Kubota also makes diesel and gasoline ZT mowers.