PDA

View Full Version : The Man-Eaters......

Niner
06-29-2013, 06:57 AM
Our local library had a big sale last week. They were selling off some of their older books.....I assume to make room for some new stock or somesuch.

I went by to see what the deal was. They had a teeny-tiny section of the library partitioned off and had the For Sale stuff in there. It was quite a mixed bag. I'd gotten there on the second day of the sale. My sister had been there the day before and said the place was "mobbed". I picked up a couple of woodworking books, and also got a stained glass book for the Mrs.

One book that caught my eye and I just had to get was J.H. Patterson's "The Man-Eaters of Tsavo".....in hardly-used hardback. (Odd thing about this book is it never had a "card thingy" glued inside, and they didn't stamp it with their library stamp on the edge of the pages like I am sure you've all seen on library books.) Not a bad deal for 12.5 cents!

This is the true first-hand tale of a pair of man-eating lions that literally stopped progress on construction of a railway line in East Africa in the late 1800's. They made a movie out of it some years back called "The Ghost and The Darkness". It's a pretty good read. Patterson's style is a bit "Victorian" and he uses words and phrases that ya just don't hear in modern parlance.

Anyways..........I do a good bit of reading, but mostly periodicals and how-to books. Kind of nice to sit down with a book that tells a story for a change. :biggrin-new: AND to MAKE TIME for it!!!

Fido
06-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Not a good thing tooo be down on the food chain, the movie was top shelf!

quercus alba
06-29-2013, 10:27 AM
If you like that one co-9, you might try "Death in the Long Grass" by Peter Capstick.