PDA

View Full Version : Current River Float

BarryBobPosthole
06-30-2013, 05:01 PM
My wife, oldest daughter, and I loaded up Thursday night and hit the road early friday morning for Eminence, Missouri (they say Mizzoorah in that part of the state). Its about five hours for us and we got there and got camp set up right on the river by about 3:00 Friday. The river is the Current River and it's one of several in southern Mizzou that are fast, cold, and clear. You Potomoc and Shenandoah boys would like it. This one is spring fed and runs about 68 or so, perfect for a summer day. You just gotta dive right in off the bat or you'll puss out. There were 19 of us i think I counted, all in tents. All were either my wife and her brother's and their families, or the boyfriend of the kids'. We hit the river on Saturday with an assortment of canoes, kayaks, and rafts. I, of course took my fishing pole and Julie and I had our baloney and cheese sammies and a cooler of frosties. We floated 10 miles of river and it was a blast. Only caught a couple of fish but I didn't hit it too hard. The river is friggin awesome and we made several gravel bar stops to drink beer and enjoy the sun and water.
No pics, my dive camera has some issues and couldn't chamce the other one in the canoe. We may some camp pictures I'll post if there are any decent ones. At one sand bar Julie and I were getting back in our canoe and found a water snake had taken up residnce. He bit my bro in law when he was trying to catch him but it wasn't any great shakes. Just a nasty ass bad attitude brown water snake about a foot and a half long. I will say, Julie was a bit pickered up after that and squealed when I steered us under a limb from then on but we didn't do any more Bill Dance outtakes.

What a great time. There's two more rivers I want to float up there. The Jakc's Fork and the Eleven Point. And I'm gonna really fish next time.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
06-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Man, that sounds like a great way to spend a hot summer day.