PDA

View Full Version : What about the Third Amendment?

Buckrub
07-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Seems Liberals and Academia don't like the 2nd, and now don't like the 1st Amendment, either. Which one is next?

http://news.yahoo.com/student-ordered-remove-cross-necklace-sonoma-state-university-125006230.html

"Or prohibit the free exercise thereof............."

FooBang
07-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Seems Liberals and Academia don't like the 2nd, and now don't like the 1st Amendment, either. Which one is next?

http://news.yahoo.com/student-ordered-remove-cross-necklace-sonoma-state-university-125006230.html

"Or prohibit the free exercise thereof............."

Hmm. I'm liberalish and do very much like both the first and the second. It's the conservatives who don't like the Free Exercise Clause of the 1st ammendment.

--Foo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Exercise_Clause

BarryBobPosthole
07-03-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm wondering how one asshole supervisor qualifies as all 'liberals and academia'? the school has pretty much said this guy was wrong in his actions.

BKB

Buckrub
07-03-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm wondering why he isn't. Don't you EVER read the Letters to the Editor? Here, they are full of UA Professors belittling everything Conservative, and praising all things Liberal. This just looks like one more guy.

And I just looked, and I did not say "all". You did. You disparaging fool, you.

And Foo, I'm Conservative and I like the Free Exercise clause. Why do you say I don't?

BarryBobPosthole
07-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Happy 4th of July.

BKB

Buckrub
07-03-2013, 05:59 PM
It ain't the 4th yet. It's the 3rd. If'n you ever get so lucky as to be my age, you'll not rush things so much. :usa

But happy one to you too. And thank you for your service.

FooBang
07-03-2013, 06:17 PM
It ain't the 4th yet. It's the 3rd. If'n you ever get so lucky as to be my age, you'll not rush things so much. :usa

But happy one to you too. And thank you for your service.

Independence Day is on the 2nd, so you're both late. According to John Adams in a letter to his wife:

"The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epocha in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forevermore."

From http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Adams

During the American Revolution, the legal separation of the Thirteen Colonies from Great Britain occurred on July 2, 1776, when the Second Continental Congress voted to approve a resolution of independence that had been proposed in June by Richard Henry Lee of Virginia declaring the United States independent from Great Britain.[4][5] After voting for independence, Congress turned its attention to the Declaration of Independence, a statement explaining this decision, which had been prepared by a Committee of Five, with Thomas Jefferson as its principal author. Congress debated and revised the wording of the Declaration, finally approving it on July 4.

--Foo

FooBang
07-03-2013, 06:21 PM
And Foo, I'm Conservative and I like the Free Exercise clause. Why do you say I don't?

Just generalizing.. Seems to be OK around here. :D
But to address your point, G.H.W. Bush said that nobody has freedom from religion. That's his conservative (and widely held) opinion, which clearly diverges from the rights protected by the Free Exercise clause.

--Foo

Buckrub
07-03-2013, 06:30 PM
"from"????

What does "From Religion" mean? BTW, that ain't what it says.

And I don't know that I am comfortable with someone from New Jersey telling what is Conservative and what isn't. :swordfight:beer

FooBang
07-03-2013, 06:36 PM
"from"????

What does "From Religion" mean? BTW, that ain't what it says.

And I don't know that I am comfortable with someone from New Jersey telling what is Conservative and what isn't. :swordfight:beer

According to George H.W:

Bush: No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.

Anyone who subscribes to this philosophy cannot be a supporter of the 1st ammendment:

In 1965, the Supreme Court removed God from the definition of religion, in United States v. Seeger. The defendants were conscientious objectors who had been convicted in federal district courts for refusal to submit to induction after Selective Service officials had rejected their claims for exemption. All three men had similar worldviews, and none had a traditional concept of God. Seeger, for example, said that he was uncertain of whether a Supreme Being existed, but that his "skepticism or disbelief in the existence of God" did "not necessarily mean lack of faith in anything whatsoever." His, he stated, was a "belief in and devotion to goodness and virtue for their own sakes, and a religious faith in a purely ethical creed." --from http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/gaynor/050820

Also, we have a Republican Governor, not like you Arkansian pinkos! :P

Buckrub
07-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Um, thanks. But not what I asked.

Where did you get the preposition "From" from?

It's not in the Amendment. I don't care if Bush, Tree, or Twig says it is. Or you, you Yankee.

It's freedom OF religion, a completely different meaning than FROM religion. You have no right to be free FROM religion. And I have a RIGHT to free exercise OF religion.

Which was what the post was about. A state supported school told someone that they could not have freely exercise their religion, not even silently. You'd think the ACLU would go nuts. Of course, they won't. They're biased against religion, and therefore the complete exercise of the 1st Amendment.

FooBang
07-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Fine, "of". The semantics don't matter, I do have that right and plenty of Court decisions to back it up. This is why I am still a patriot and citizen, regardless of what that dunderhead said.
By the way, I think it is silly to stop someone from wearing a cross, a buddha, or whatever.. Just plain silly.

--Foo

BarryBobPosthole
07-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Organized religion has gotten plenty of sanctions from plenty of governments. Show me one where the citizens are better off. Just one and I'll concede the point. I prefer ours to remain secular, thank you. And folks are free to worship as they please where I live. I don't know of a single person that has been disenfranchised of that. That, at the root, is what is protected by our constitution and creed and its good enough for me.

BKB

Buckrub
07-03-2013, 07:48 PM
This person was disenfranchised, at least to a degree. If you think that's the only one, you're naive.

I also want freedom TO worship or not. But I don't want an atheist to dictate that I cannot worship, in public or private, anymore than he wants me to dictate to him. You ensure it works both ways, and we're on the same page. I think you both know that these days, it does not go both ways often.

and I also think it's silly. But I also think it's illegal.

Sunshine
07-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Enjoy your Independrnce, while we have it!!

Being out populated by American Muslims and soon they will out number the population.
Once that happens, its bye bye Freedom!!

So enjoy, in the future your children will be telling their children how this country was once free!! :(

Buckrub
07-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Nah. At worst, we'll split up and at least half of us will always be free.

Government can't make you free. Government can only recognize it.

FooBang
07-03-2013, 09:48 PM
But I also think it's illegal.

If that's all that was happening, wearing a necklace, then you're prolly right. If, however, it was used to prosthelytize or intimidate, then that would be a problem.

--Foo

Buckrub
07-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Geez.
Atheists sure do have thin skin.........

FooBang
07-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Geez.
Atheists sure do have thin skin.........

:P