PDA

View Full Version : Well What'cha Think?

Big Skyz
07-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Here's the latest hot off the drawing board.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/New%20Pics/MuleDeerNT5S_zpsc9ffca9d.jpg

Bwana
07-08-2013, 02:46 PM
I'd shoot it in a heartbeat!

It's worth what you are paying for it but there is something about the whiteness on the lower half of the face when coupled with the white outlining that gives it a bit of a ghost-like appearance on my computer screen. Then again, a critter like that most likely is part ghost. Again on my screen the whiteness of the face makes it appear to be a piebald.

Is this one from your dreams or have you seen the above beauty?

BarryBobPosthole
07-08-2013, 02:57 PM
I'm guessing moonlight, Bwana. That's the immediate image I got in my head anyway.

BKB

Big Skyz
07-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Early morning light. The actual buck used for reference looks quite a bit like this, but I did alter the antlers. It's a late summer coat so the front half of the buck is a little lighter and raggedy looking. I don't get much of a glow on my computer screen so I'm not real sure what you are seeing.

Thumper
07-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Ya' know sumpin'. I never, EVER thought I'd ever say this about ANY of your works ... but I've been staring at this thing and I'll be honest ... it's just not "grabbing" me. Your art has always been something to behold and I normally stare in awe at what you're able to do with a pencil and sheet of paper ... but this one? I just can't get into it for some reason. You have no idea how weird I feel for saying that, but I'm being honest.

Big Skyz
07-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Thump I'm already do a little reworking here and there on it and perhaps when I'm done it will grab you a little more.

Thumper
07-08-2013, 03:21 PM
I continue to stare trying to figure out what's turning me off. I don't have an artistic bone in my body and can barely write my name or draw a stick man, so I'm not sure what my opinion is worth. I 'think" it's mostly the rack. It seems out of proportion (maybe?). Too big for the deer? Like the deer is in the background and the rack is in the foreground and you joined the two? (does that make sense?) I don't know what it is persactly ... but it's driving me nuts. Maybe it's just a certain art form or media I don't totally understand as a layman.

It'll be really interesting to see if my opinion changes with a bit of tweaking. I envy your art skills.

HA!! Like I'm a frigging art critic!

Thumper
07-08-2013, 03:27 PM
I continue to stare trying to figure out what's turning me off. I don't have an artistic bone in my body and can barely write my name or draw a stick man, so I'm not sure what my opinion is worth. I 'think" it's mostly the rack. It seems out of proportion (maybe?). Too big for the deer ... especially the bases? Like the deer is in the background and the rack is in the foreground and you merged the two? I don't know what it is persactly ... but it's driving me nuts. Maybe it's just a certain art form or media I don't totally understand as a layman.

Big Skyz
07-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Thump I can see why you'd think the antlers are too big, but they aren't. Muley's can get enormous. However what I "think" the problem is is that there is too much contrast between the deer and the back ground. Perhaps too strong of highlights. Anyway, I'm in the process of fixing that right now and so far I like it better. Here is the buck that was used as a reference so you can see just how crazy big those antlers are. Note how heavy the bases are.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/New%20Pics/buckA_zps0d0e0161.jpg

Thumper
07-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Looking at that picture and reading what you said ... I think you're totally correct. I think "something" was bothering me and I just couldn't put my finger on it. Your drawing looks persactly like that pic and now that I think about it ... I believe it IS the contrast that's throwing everything off for me. Heck, I guess it takes an expert to tell me what I'm seeing as I couldn't figure it out on my own!

Niner
07-08-2013, 06:15 PM
I keep looking and looking, but I can't find Waldo anywhere in that pic.

jb
07-08-2013, 08:09 PM
You're saving that real deer for me, right?,:D