PDA

View Full Version : I gots a question (re; Facebook)

Thumper
07-09-2013, 10:25 AM
I get a zillion messages every day from "friends" on Facebook. That's not a problem ... but there's one thing I don't really understand. Many of them are simply statements like, "Homer is at Applebies", or "Posthole is at Murray's Bait Shop" or "Dinglebutt and Shit-for-brains is at O'Hare Airport", ... you get the idea. Where do these things come from? There's never any message attached ... just that so-and-so is wherever.

Is this something that's automatic if you walk into a place and use their Wi-Fi or sumpin'? What really intrigues me is the last example above. For instance, I just received one from a friend in Washington (State) that says, Walt XXX (my buddy) is at West Coast Dental with Walter XXX (his son). I could see where it could be a real problem for some folks. I'd hate to think Lynn would get a Facebook message from "me" saying, "Thumper is at the Day's Inn with Layla Lovetosuck"! :smash

BarryBobPosthole
07-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Has to do with how folks have their profiles set up. If you get those messages from me let me know because I thought I had mine set up not to do that shit.

BKB

Thumper
07-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Heck, I don't know if mine is or not. What setting is that anyway? Is that on the phone itself? Or a setting on Facebook?

Thumper
07-09-2013, 10:34 AM
You know what? Now that I think of it ... I think I did get some from you while you were on vacation. I may be mistaken as I get so many of them and normally just delete them. I can't check my "trash file" because I have it set up to dump daily. I'll pay closer attention to it and let you know.

Thumper
07-09-2013, 10:39 AM
And how the hell does it know who you're with? That one stumps me. I get those all the time from my bro-in-law. His son (my nephew) works for him and they usually go to lunch together. I get messages almost daily that read something like "Mark XXX and Eric XXX are at Hooters" or when he and my sister are out I'll get, "Mark XXX and Laura XXX are at Joes Bar & Grill".

BarryBobPosthole
07-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Only thing you should see from me is if I post something on my wall it'll show up in your news feed unless you have me blocked from your news feed. I have a bunch of friends blocked on mine because the only stuff they ever post is political shit or if they post a lot of nonsense, like 'Ate a hamburger for lunch today'. All you have to do to have someone not show in your news feed is click on their name and the drop down box will show a line that says 'show in newsfeed' with a little checkmark by it. just uncheck and they won't show up in the future. doesn't unfriend them or anything but it sure cleans up your news feed a lot. I honestly can't remember how I shut off the notification thingy in my profile that made it stop sending something every time I went somewhere and logged in. Its in there somewhere in your privacy settings I think.
BKB

Big Muddy
07-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Hahaha....Lynn would know better, and prolly just laugh, and think you were at Day's Inn looking for some old tvs, used bars of soap, or left-behind razors to sell on ebay. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-09-2013, 10:55 AM
and sure as heck, I go check Facebook and Curt (Hunter) has a cat video posted. As Uncle Jed used to say about Jethro, " I'm gonna have to have a long talk with that boy someday"

BKB

LJ3
07-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Google it dufuses. What you're seeing are people on your friends list when they "check in" somewhere. It's a setting you can alter so you don't get any notifications about it.

http://www.facebook.com/help/260530967329500/

Chicken Dinner
07-09-2013, 11:07 AM
To paraphrase, "There's something wrong with a grown-assed man posting cat videos."

Thump, I think those folks must be using the "check-in" feature and tagging who they're with for stuff like that to post to their news feed. I do it occasionally when I'm traveling because there's a cool map feature that will show pins from the places you've checked in from. Anybody who checked in from the dentist would definitely be a candidate for blocking from my news feed...

Chicken Dinner
07-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Speaking of grown-assed men and cats, Len beat me to it...

LJ3
07-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Where's my friggin' stool?

Thumper
07-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Yep, I got the video also .. kinda funny actually. BUT ... I've gotten to the point I immediately delete anything that has the words "Cross Fit" ... sheeesh, I think the boy's obsessed. Hurry and have your talk with him ... I'm next in line!

Oh, and MY stool is even taller than Len's ... start climbing! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-09-2013, 11:31 AM
My DIL is into crossfit now and it apparently is quite an obsession if you do it the right way. Its hard to be critical of folks wanting to be healthier.
And I don't think the brownie I had for breakfast with my coffee is on the paleo list.

BKB

LJ3
07-09-2013, 12:10 PM
You can't tell me a caveman wouldn't fuck up a brownie in short order if he had one.

BarryBobPosthole
07-09-2013, 12:28 PM
He'd be on it like a hobo on a baloney sammich.

BKB

quercus alba
07-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Ya'll can use the cat video reference but I have a copyright on the "grown men posting cat pics". No need to get the lawyers involved.....

Chicken Dinner
07-09-2013, 01:25 PM
I'll be sure to add a "TM" next time I steal it. And, weren't all those paleo motherfuckers like 5' 2" and died around 40? Just sayin...

BarryBobPosthole
07-09-2013, 01:26 PM
and wore tee shirts that were too small for them too I'll bet.

BKB

Thumper
07-09-2013, 01:43 PM
... and had lots of mirrors to pose in front of to admire themselves. ;)

Sunshine
07-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Another reason not to have Facebook!!

I like my privacy!! :D

HideHunter
07-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Thump - the "who you're with" thing is an option you can tag with when you post. I was posting some pictures the other day and saw it pop up.

Thumper
07-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Oh, ok ... I haven't touched my FB page since I threw it together many months ago ... maybe a year or more, can't remember. So, I'm pretty unfamiliar with the options.

Here's a good example I got from my BIL just today. (my BIL, my nephew and his wife)

Mark Fourmy is with Eric Fourmy and Signe Peterson Fourmy at The Square - San Marcos.

That's scary! I can see it now, going to everyone on my friends list ... Thumper K is at Motel 6 with Suzie Suxalot!

LJ3
07-10-2013, 09:29 AM
If you don't "check in" on facebook, it doesn't magically tell the world where you are. Dufus.

BarryBobPosthole
07-10-2013, 09:37 AM
If I saw that status I would definitely 'like' it.

BKB

LJ3
07-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Not only would I "like" it... I'd tweet that bitch and ask that you instagram it and snapchat it.

Chicken Dinner
07-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Be careful what you ask for Len as what has been seen cannot be unseen.

Thumper
07-10-2013, 10:24 AM
If you don't "check in" on facebook, it doesn't magically tell the world where you are. Dufus.

Well, I guess that answers my question then. Like I said, I don't play with FB ... I set up a page long ago and never went back to finish it. So when I get a message that Len Dufusbutt is at MacDonalds ... it's because you WANT me to know that? Sheeesh, who cares? I have one friend who posts a message about every 10 minutes. I guess she LIVES on FB. Most of her posts go sumpin' like this.

I'm eating breakfast now.

It sure is hot today.

I just finished washing my laundry.

I'm tired today.

I think I'll have soup for lunch.

I tied my shoe and the string broke!

I just got back from taking the trash out.

I wish I didn't have to work today.

Sheeesh! I keep thinking ... get a frigging life! Who cares?

BarryBobPosthole
07-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Another symptom of the current generation's shortcomings: the extensive use of first person pronouns.

BKB