PDA

View Full Version : Here's My Deal on PEDS

BarryBobPosthole
07-11-2013, 12:12 PM
And this goes for baseball or football. The real responsibility for managing this problem, if the respective commissioners and owners really want their sports to be free of them, lies with the teams as much as it does the players. As long as the teams have no accountability for the results of their testing then players will continue to go outon their own and use them. Its when the teams have to forfeit wins and titles and it starts hitting the incentive pay of other team members as well as the pocketbooks of the owners of the teams that we'll see the player unions and locker room peers and teams actually do something more than the token testing they are doing now. The current policies both in the NFL and in MLB are just eye candy for the media and fans.

These comments by Ron Washington is what got my motor running on this, this morning. I'm hot and cold on him as a manager. Mostly cold to be honest. I think he's one of the most overrated managers in the game today.
BKB

BALTIMORE -- Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington said the organization knows what it will do when the situation with Nelson Cruz gets resolved. But right now, Washington said, the Rangers are just focusing on each game.

ESPN's "Outside the Lines" recently aired a report saying Cruz is one of approximately 20 players Major League Baseball might suspend as a result of its ongoing investigation into the use of performance-enhancing drugs and the Biogenesis clinic in Florida.

More Texas Rangers coverage

For more news, notes and analysis of the Rangers, check out ESPN Dallas' Rangers Report. Blog

Washington said whatever happens, the Rangers will be prepared.

"I know how I'm going to deal with it," Washington said before Wednesday's game with the Orioles. "We know how we're going to deal with it. Once the decision is made, he and his people have a decision to make."

Washington said that despite the situation, he sees no reason the right fielder won't be able to enjoy his second selection to the All-Star Game.

"No sense in him thinking about what may happen because if he's at the All-Star Game, it certainly hasn't happened yet," Washington said. "That's not going away. However, he's dealing with it. I think he's doing a damn good job of it."

Earlier this week, Rangers CEO Nolan Ryan said in a radio interview that he wasn't worrying about losing Cruz to a long suspension.

Washington is taking the same view. He said his main concern was the Orioles and starter Wei-Yin Chen.

"There's always stuff for me to worry about; I'm a manager," Washington said. "[But] not regarding that."

Buckrub
07-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Washington said zero in all that. Nada. He didn't say anything.

You have a good point. But players move to new teams, so if a team is penalized, and the player moves due to free agency, the team is still paying while the player is gone.

Like most 'crimes' in society today, the solution is really simple but will never happen. Just Ban Them For Life. Period, starting tomorrow, no recourse, no appeals. The End. "NEXT!!"

But they won't.

Odd to me that the ones mentioned as users are the BIG names. You'd think it's the other way around. Or maybe that's how they got to be big names????

I dunno. I've abandoned pro basketball, and pro football is just when nothing else is on or its the Super Bowl. Baseball was/is my last resort (but my first love).

What they NEED is Kennesaw Mountain Landis again, instead of Caspar Milquetoast. That's what they really need.

BarryBobPosthole
07-11-2013, 01:00 PM
I'll probably come off sounding like john rocker here, but team owners made lots of money off of PEDs and the performances of those players who used them were a big reason for it. They weren't illegal in baseball then, but how much money do you think the Cubs and Cards made off of the race to 61 between McGuire and Sosa? The owners have enormous skin in the game on the plus side but hardly any when it comes to consequences. And as long as that hypocrisy exists then nothing serious is ever going to be done about them.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
07-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Sometimes you make an awful lot of sense for a broken-down old Okie.

Buckrub
07-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Do not do that to him. Agree with him more subtly.

Geez.

Buckrub
07-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Paper today has article that this may drag on forever, and no one can be publicly noted until appeals are done, and all kinds of legal mumbo jumbo about why it will be at least 2014 before anything is done..........and it hints that some of these guys will simply walk away clean and not be punished at all.

Tempest in a Teapot, it is beginning to appear.

Chicken Dinner
07-11-2013, 03:50 PM
I heard the other day on the radio that if their names are already out there (ie, Braun) than that doesn't apply. Supposedly, there's more people involved than what we've heard so far and those won't become public until after the appeals have run their course. Personally, I think MLB has a serious hard-on for Braun and they're going to smack him with a 100 game suspension. (He made them look bad last year.) 50 games for PEDS and 50 games for lying about it. This morning Jason Stark was even saying that as he travels around the other players are quite open about their disdain for Braun as well and they want to see him nailed as well.

BarryBobPosthole
07-11-2013, 03:56 PM
St Louis fans RARELY boo a player. They even cheer for ex-Cards and have been known to give ovations to opposing players that do good stuff. There was a pitcher here earlier this year that got an ovation from the St Louis fans as he left the mound in his last inning. They boo like Philly fans when Braun is in the house. He's pretty much universally hated. Does help he looks like a frat boy from Duke.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
07-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Dude, that's really a low blow...

Buckrub
07-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Posty, you are converting to a TRUE fan. I am humbled.