PDA

View Full Version : Hey youse old-timers ....

Thumper
07-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Back in the early 60's (through the early 70's), there was a band called the Gentrys. They were a band in one of the high schools in Memphis and did a lot of local gigs in the early days. They eventually landed a contract with a recording company and hit it big with a gold record. They did a bunch of tv shows, toured, did a movie, etc. but eventually fizzled out and disbanded in '66 I think. Then one of the original members started them back up around '69 when I was a senior in h/s (in Memphis). The "new" group had a lead guitarist/singer named Wesley Stafford. I remember them banging around town for a few years and then they split up and went on to do their own thing about the same time I headed for 'Nam.

Anyway, during our last trip to Memphis, we attended an estate sale and I purchased a small jewelry box. I stuck it on a shelf here and never looked at it again until a couple hours ago. Inside was a guitar pick (no jewelry) with the name Wes Stafford on it. Doubt it's worth anything, but it's a pretty cool piece of nostalgia. I was gonna toss it in with my Buddy Guy pick ... but now I can't FIND my Buddy Guy pick. :(

Ya' think Wes Stafford is "Wesley Stafford" of the Gentrys?

Buckrub
07-16-2013, 04:07 PM
No.

He was "Wess Stafford"

Thumper
07-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Who was "Wess" Stafford. I'm having trouble following you today.

Wesley went by Wes as well as Wesley back in the day. Not sure who the "Wess" is you're talking about.

Buckrub
07-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Just a stupid messin with you answer. I should have said "I dunno".

Thumper
07-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Oh.

I was just wondering if the more musically informed might know another Wes Stafford. For all I know, there could be a company that makes Wes Stafford guitar picks named after their founder or sumpin'. Like "Gibson" guitars. I don't know nuttin' 'bout guitars or guitar picks. I was just guessing due to the "Memphis connection".

Thumper
07-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Ha ha! Here's the early Gentrys (before Wes) ... just out of h/s in Memphis. I had this 45 back in the day. ;)

I think Wes is dead now, but I really can't find much about him on the net.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m2apM0DAe1g?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buckrub
07-16-2013, 05:00 PM
I absolutely LOVED "keep on dancin"

Big Muddy
07-16-2013, 05:01 PM
pretty good assumption that it is him, Thump....I mean, Memphis=band=guitar player=Wes....I'd say yes, that's your guy.

I remember them, as well, and if not mistaken, the Gentry's played at a lot of the MS Delta proms and weekend dance clubs and teen clubs back in the '60s around here.

Thumper
07-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Yep, that they did Edward. The guy "Hart" who started the group used to come into the dealership I worked at. He was always hanging around with the wrestling crowd ... in fact I think he was a wrestler after the band gig. I remember Dusty Rhodes and all the dudes of that era were always coming into the dealership. They were all buddies during the week, but on the weekends, they pretended to hate each other and "tried" to kill each other. :D

Big Muddy
07-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Years ago, I watched wrestling on tv at the dorm at MS State....nothing else to do there on weekends, since I was broke as a haint.

The "Hart" family is, or was at one time, a big name in pro wrestling....don't know if your Gentry's "Hart" is related to them, but the Hart family has been associated with pro wrestling for a very long time....i.e., Owen Hart, Gary Hart, Bret Hart(Hitman Hart), and even a lady wrestler, Natayla Hart.

Thumper
07-16-2013, 06:03 PM
We shared a name ... it was Jimmy Hart. Not sure if it's the same family or not. There were about 5-6 of those old wrestlers who came in all the time, Jackie Fargo, Dusty Rhodes and others I've forgotten. Buford Pusser (Walking Tall) was also a regular and hung with that same crowd. That crook would buy a new Caddie every year and we'd install the lights behind the grille of his new car before he picked it up. That was one crooked "Revenooer" IMHO. I think the only stills and prostitution rings he busted up were the ones who didn't pay him off. He finally killed himself driving drunk a bazillion miles/hour in his hopped up Corvette. The family says he was murdered (car sabotaged), but he'd been drinking and partying all day.

Ahhh, the good ol' days! ;)

jb
07-16-2013, 08:48 PM
Great song, remember it well.

Wes Stafford
07-27-2015, 07:42 PM
Hey Thumper... Wes Stafford (Wesley Stafford) was my husband and high school sweetheart. He was killed in an auto accident in Memphis, TN. 1983. This is one of his guitar picks. He had them printed up and gave them to people where he played, as well as played with them. He replaced Larry Raspberry of the Gentry. An excellant Lead guitarist, if I say so myself. Dearly missed. Judy

Nandy
07-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Judy, sorry for your loss and Welcome aboard!

Thumper
07-27-2015, 08:15 PM
Wow Judy! Gosh, we've been talking about two newbies checking in all day and I didn't put the name together with this post. Dang, it didn't even sink in! I'm assuming you simply dropped in to read that post after Googling Wes's name and stumbling in here. I'd love to know a little more about you. What high school (I assume Treadwell)? When were you there, etc? BTW, I went to Frayser back in the day. I'm so sorry to hear about Wes ... what a tragedy.

We may not be your kind of crowd, but it sure would be nice to hear some of the history involved. I'm getting pretty old here and my memory isn't what it used to be, but some of those old h/s memories are locked in my gray matter forever.

BarryBobPosthole
07-27-2015, 08:27 PM
Welcome Judy!

BKB

Captain
07-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Welcome Judy! Sorry for your loss.
Good to see you here.