PDA

View Full Version : Salina Kansas

Buckrub
07-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Was NOT settled by white settlers on purpose.

There is little chance of that. In reality, I am going to assume that two wagons, going in opposite directions, either collided on the single two-track, or both broke down at the same time, right before a monster wind/snow storm.

And thus, they ultimately opened a Hampton Inn.

There's no other explanation for this godforsaken hole in Earth.

BarryBobPosthole
07-17-2013, 08:13 PM
Ha! It's like Goodland, Ks without the rural charm.

BKB

Buckrub
07-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Did you know there is a "Pretty Prairie, KS"?

Weather said they got rain today.

Seriously.

BarryBobPosthole
07-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Note the stone fence posts. that's getting desperate for trees ain't it?

BKB

Buckrub
07-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Had a guy I went to high school with, got into custom carpentry, and all kinds of wood stuff. He passed away years ago, but at one time he sold fence posts all over the place. He said that for every 100 miles west of Arkansas, he could raise his prices 10%.

Niner
07-17-2013, 11:38 PM
Just wait until you get to Hays, KS. I think that is the place they were talking about when they invented the phrase "innnnbreeeeders".

Thumper
07-18-2013, 07:28 AM
Did you know there is a "Pretty Prairie, KS"?

I remember when I was driving my truck, I thought it would be cool to record all the odd or crazy names (for towns) I saw while on the road. I never did, but I sure wish I had as it would be good for a laugh to go back through it every once in a while.

'Course prolly the top of the list would be right there in your own back yard. I think it would be pretty hard to beat "Toad Suck, Arkansas!" :D

BarryBobPosthole
07-18-2013, 07:58 AM
I used to have a hat that said "Toad Suck Bass Club" on it that I stole from my cousin who lived in Conway. I thought it was pretty unique too.

BKB

Big Muddy
07-18-2013, 08:22 AM
I mentioned this before....years ago, I blew out the pistons on a 150 hp Johnson outboard, coming outta the Toad Suck lock-and-dam....day'um discarded plastic minnow sack got sucked into the water intake.

Captain
07-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Climax NC near Greensboro

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

jb
07-18-2013, 04:58 PM
When I worked for Levitt & Son's Construction, our Erection Superintendent lived in Climax MI. Loved to give out his business card.
We also have a Hell, MI and a Christmas MI.

BarryBobPosthole
07-18-2013, 05:15 PM
We don't have any towns with funny names. We're not that flippant in Oklahoma.

BKB

Sunshine
07-18-2013, 08:23 PM
I think I went through Intercourse Pennsylvania once. Think that's the state its in. :D

Thumper
07-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Cappy and Bubba ... I dated a gal in h/s from Climax, Georgia. I asked her why they called it Climax and she said it was a little town at the top (climax) of a hill, hence the name. Said the town was so small, there was just a flashing caution/stop light at the intersection. Ha! Thinking back, I don't even remember her real name ... I called her "Little Bit" ... she was a tiny little thing ... blonde. ;)

Thumper
07-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Ha! Got me thinking about it and I decided to Google the place. Sheeesh! She said it was a tiny town, but dang ... if there were only 297 people there in 2000 ... I wonder how many were there when I dated her back in '67? :eek:

Climax, Georgia

Area:
• Total 0.8 sq mi (2 km2)
• Land: 0.8 sq mi (2 km2)
• Water: 0 sq mi (0 km2)

Climax is a city in Decatur County, Georgia, United States. The town was named Climax because it is located at the highest point of the railroad between Savannah, Georgia and the Chattahoochee River. The population was 297 at the 2000 census.