PDA

View Full Version : Stand your Ground

Buckrub
07-21-2013, 05:33 PM
What is your collective opinion of this law?

Good or bad?

One thing I don't get, is why Sharpton and the other idiots are hammering this law so much, when Zimmerman certainly didn't do any such thing, and did not use it in his defense at all. In fact, it would have been difficult for him to Stand his Ground while lying on his back getting his head pummeled into the ground repeatedly. That's the position he shot Martin from. So in this case, it makes NO sense that they are wanting to get rid of it. Now even RINO McCain is on board. What a joke he is. Glad he didn't make POTUS. This is like getting rid of 30 round magazines on rifles to fix murder problems, when about 300+ total murders are done with rifles at all in any year.

But this "You Must Flee First" is a bit unnerving to me. I probably WOULD flee first. But I don't want to have to.

(Speaking of which, I'm going to a movie in Colorado tomorrow.............don't know what to "do about that".......)

Keep it, expand it, or eliminate it?

Captain
07-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Good law, keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
07-21-2013, 06:00 PM
The issue was best described by Bill O'Reilly believe it or not. When after Zimmerman decided to ignore the police and decided to get out of his car is when he went out on his own. In my opinion Stand Your Ground, or Make My Day laws only cover situations where you are threatened by another person that aren't your own doing. If you fuck with somebody of your own volition I don't care if its a black fucking panther then you're on your own. Still, according to the jury he was defending himself and that's all I know. He's a dumbass if that's true. And it ain't against the law to be stupid.
The racial part of this is manufactured by people who want to gain from it. On both sides. The Stand Your ground laws also aren't part of this IMO. This was a guy that challenged someone he should have let the police handle, and ended up having to kill the guy. Simple.
BKB
BKB

Captain
07-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Blacks use the stand your ground defense in Florida more than any other race...
http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/16/blacks-benefit-from-florida-stand-your-ground-law-at-disproportionate-rate/

BarryBobPosthole
07-21-2013, 06:35 PM
I'll apologize in advance. But this guy makes more and more sense to me on a lot of levels. I'm not ready to label him a savant yet, but the more I read on a topic the more I find myself ageeing. Maybe I'm easily led.
BKB

For those who don't like nekkid links, if you can't take my word for it, well bite me. It's safe. Less germs on this than there are on my ass.
http://www.fredoneverything.net/Zim.shtml

Captain
07-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Good read... Amen to his comments on Jessie and Al...

Buckrub
07-21-2013, 07:04 PM
This Fred guy seems pretty observant. I gotta admit it surprises me some that you agree with him. I guess that says more about me than you, though.

Stand your ground laws were probably fomented because so many perps were bashing in the heads of so many innocent folks. And to use these events to claim that such laws need repealed, and we should all become sheeple and fraidy cats, is amazing to me.

I tell ya what. Y'all are not paying enough attention to Bubba. (Not OUR Bubba, but the Bubba's of the world). Bubba is gonna rise up at some point. He may lose, and it may be quick and in a flash, but he ain't gonna sit and watch every chance he's got to protect himself and his own be taken away because half of 'us' are scared of our shadows. He just ain't.

Buckrub
07-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Wonder what Al and Jesse thought of this one when ti happened?........course it can't be as sensational as Martin, because, um.....well, too many perps involved. Yeah, that's it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/girl-14-pregnant-victim-age-11-repeated-gang-rape-article-1.1351930

Buckrub
07-22-2013, 09:45 PM
I don't know if this is true or not........but I'll admit I couldn't read the whole thing for laughing tears in my eyes.........

http://www.examiner.com/article/zimmerman-s-lawsuit-against-al-sharpton-nbc-and-the-martin-family-attorneys

Penguin
07-23-2013, 10:25 AM
I honestly believe that the stand your ground law needs a good scrubbing. As it stands now I don't believe it provides a proper balance between honest self defense and what we saw with Zimmerman.

For instance the law states that you cannot initiate a fight and then resort to your firearm.... unless the force that the other guy brings to bear on you is overwhelming. Don't believe me? Read the law. So according to this law you can start a fight and then if the other guy is giving you a first class ass whipping you can pull a gun and shoot him. This is complete bullshit. There is no excuse for a man to start a fight and then get scared because he is losing and pull a gun and shoot someone. And the way the law is written in Florida that is exactly what can happen.

Second there needs to be some clarification on two points: What constitutes a life threatening situation and what constitutes provoking a fight.

The injuries that Zimmerman had in no way showed a true life threatening confrontation. I've been messed up much worse than that in fights that I won. I don't care that he "thought" he was in danger. The proof is in the eating of the pudding. A broken nose and a couple scratches on the back of his head are not life threatening to a grown man in the prime of his life. A woman or an elderly man? Maybe. Zimmerman's problem wasn't that he was overmatched his problem is that he is a coward who (intentionally or not) got a fight started and then freaked out when he started losing.

Next there needs to be some clarification on what exactly amounts to provoking a fight. Some folks see Martin as having been provoked because of Zimmerman's actions. Some folks do not. I am in the middle on this and TBH I would have needed to see Zimmerman's body language and what, if anything, was said before making a decision. It is obvious to me that the environment you are accustomed to will play a large part in where you stand on this. I can tell you this, if a man followed me down the street like he did and then got out of his truck and showed the slightest bluster I would have belted him. And then I would have done my damnedest to knock him out before leaving. There is no way I would allow someone who behaved in that way to know where I lived.

In the end we will never know a lot of the crucial facts I would need to know what I would have done. The law needs to be more concerned with what actually occurred and constitutes a life threatening situation and a lot less about how the guy who pulls the gun "feels".

As an example there is an old law on the books in WV called the mob law. It was the result of mining companies hiring groups of thugs to beat up labor organizers/members in the coal wars. If three or more people jump you then you are allowed to use whatever force you wish to defend yourself. Cut and dried. No wiggle room and not a word about how threatened you "felt". This is an example of a law that works versus one that hasn't been thought out and can leave both people in the position of being justified in pulling a gun and blasting.

Will