PDA

View Full Version : Well.......Bye

BarryBobPosthole
07-23-2013, 08:47 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1712710-how-does-ped-admittance-affect-ryan-brauns-image

How Does PED Admittance Affect Ryan Braun's Image?
By
Zachary D. Rymer
(MLB Lead Writer) on July 22, 2013

44,913 reads

162 Icon_comment
Share Tweet
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more storiesNext
Screenshot2013-07-22at5

Say goodbye to Milwaukee Brewers slugger Ryan Braun for the rest of the 2013 season.

While you're at it, say goodbye to what was once a squeaky-clean image. Once one of the top good guys in the league, it is now official that Braun is among the game's biggest villains. And a real throw-back style of baseball villain, at that.

If you missed it, the following appeared on MLB's official Twitter account on Monday afternoon.

This suspension isn't happening because MLB beat Braun in a fair fight. This suspension is happening because Braun chose not to fight. He decided to make it easy on himself by just admitting instead.

"As I have acknowledged in the past, I am not perfect. I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions," said Braun in a statement issued via MLB.com.

Braun acknowledged that he wasn't perfect in the past? If he says so. I don't recall him saying anything of the sort, but maybe that's because my memory is going straight to a different word that he was so fond of using once upon a time:

Innocent.

Braun repeatedly professed his innocence the first time MLB charged him with performance-enhancing drug use following the 2011 season. He chose to challenge MLB's ruling on the grounds that it was "B.S." and ultimately walked away the victor. It turned out that there had been a violation of baseball's chain of custody procedure, making the urine sample that got Braun in trouble invalid.

As Braun saw things, this was all he needed to bust out the "I" word.

"We were able to get through this because I am innocent and the truth is on our side," he said in a victory statement, via the Journal Sentinel.

And later, during a press conference conducted at the outset of spring training (via ESPN.com): "The simple truth is that I'm innocent. The truth is always relevant and the truth prevailed."

Courtesy of MLB Advanced Media via MLB.com.

Braun really, really, really wanted everyone to believe him. He wanted everyone to believe that he had been wrongfully accused, and that it was therefore wrong to convict him in the court of public opinion. He demanded the benefit of the doubt.

But as much as Braun wanted everyone else to accept it as true, he hadn't been declared innocent. He had merely been declared not guilty. His victory was won not with innocence, but with cleverness. Trusting the word of a clever man isn't always easy.

Braun tried to be clever again when Yahoo! Sports first linked him to Biogenesis in February, saying in a statement (via the Journal Sentinel) that his association with the wellness clinic and director Anthony Bosch had nothing to do with PEDs. Braun's excuse was that he had used Bosch as a consultant while preparing for what he reminded everyone was a "successful" appeal the year before.

Even after ESPN reported that Braun was among the players that MLB was seeking to target with suspensions due to their connections with the PED clinic, he continued to act like he didn't have a care in the world.

"The truth has not changed," he casually told reporters, via MLBlogs.com. "I don’t know the specifics of the story that came out today, but I’ve already addressed it, I’ve already commented on it, and I’ll say nothing further about it.”

Hi-res-166077486_crop_exact Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images

He stuck to the same old refrain earlier this month after ESPN reported that a suspension was coming Braun's way.

"In regards to that whole crazy situation, the truth still hasn't changed," he told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com and others. "I'm still going to continue to respect the process and not discuss anything in the media. Beyond that, the vast majority of stories that have come out are inaccurate. But aside from that I'm not going to say anything else tonight."

Here was Braun once again wanting so badly to be trusted. Except this time, he also seemed to want the same thing that some notable stars of the late 1990s and the early 2000s wanted when they started to feel the heat: to be left alone.

Certainly the last thing he wanted people asking was, "How long can he keep this charade up?"

As it turned out, not long at all.

Only a couple weeks after Braun was insisting that the truth hadn't changed, he's given up on his version of the truth. In no time at all, he's gone from proclaiming his innocence to readily accepting what MLB was accusing him of being two years ago: a cheater and a liar.

All those who were skeptical of Braun for so many months can feel vindication. All those who felt compelled to stand by him for so many months can only feel disappointment and, justifiably, anger.

And now there they all are standing together, united against Ryan Joseph Braun. The mission at hand is to look back at all he's accomplished as the work of a fraud.

Hi-res-6202416_crop_exact Benny Sieu-USA TODAY Sports

What about Braun's brilliant debut campaign in 2007, in which he homered 34 times and won the Rookie of the Year? Knowing what we know now, there's no way to trust that it was all for real.

His five straight All-Star appearances from 2008 to 2012? Some, if not all, of those should have gone to players who were playing the game the right way.

His back-to-back 30-30 seasons in 2011 and 2012? Who knows if he would have been able to achieve those without, you know, help.

His MVP from the '11 season, in which he hit 33 homers, stole 33 bases and led the National League in OPS to help the Brewers reach the playoffs? There was already an outcry that it should have gone to Matt Kemp. Now we can look back on it with more certainty and conclude that, yes, it should have.

Looking back with a skeptical eye is warranted in this case, but it must be noted that that's about all anyone can do. The accolades and numbers Braun has racked up in his career aren't going anywhere. The same goes for the numbers in his bank account.

Braun signed a five-year, $105 extension with the Brewers in 2011 that will last him through at least 2020. By the time that extension kicks in, his suspension will be old news and it will only have cost him less than $4 million, according to ESPN's Darren Rovell.

Braun gets to keep his numbers and will continue cashing his paychecks once his suspension is over. That's just how it is. He shall remain a successful baseball player on paper, which cares little for how he became a successful baseball player. As far as paper is concerned, whatever he did worked just fine.

That makes Braun a relic from a bygone era, and that makes him a figure that Major League Baseball neither wants nor needs.

Chicken Dinner
07-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Next up, A-Roid.

BarryBobPosthole
07-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Grilli looks to be gone from the Pirates from injury too, but not sure for how long. And Garza gone to the Rangers. NL Central pitching just collectively went down a notch.
BKB

BarryBobPosthole
07-23-2013, 10:24 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/ryan-braun-10-damning-quotes-slideshow/

Yeah, its a nekkid link. Tremble in fear.

BKB

Buckrub
07-23-2013, 02:18 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/ryan-braun-65-game-suspension-biogenesis-investigation-great-for-baseball-072213

This one has a lot of clothes.

Captain
07-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Well.......Bye

Tombstone. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
07-23-2013, 09:07 PM
Here's a good read on this steroid thing.........

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/ryan-braun-mlb-steroid-scandal-should-bring-attention-to-steroid-abuse-amongst-young-adults-072313

quercus alba
07-23-2013, 09:31 PM
If they didn't have the balls to go after Barry bonds then they need to drop it

Buckrub
07-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Oh posh. You're just worried about your sweet little A Rod. :swordfight

But you better be, cause 65 games will be a drop in the bucket to him.

and they can't go after Bonds, he ain't an active player.

BarryBobPosthole
07-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Wow, those numbers are scary, Bucky.
BKB

Chicken Dinner
07-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Trust me, the Yanquis are praying ARod gets banned. That's the only potential out they have on the worst contract in the history if the game. (That is until Pujols gets a couple of years older...)

Buckrub
07-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Insightful!!!!

One good thing Pujols will have done, is probably show the idiocy of 10 year contracts at any price (much less stratospherical ones) to 30+ year olds......all the while young phenoms show up daily.

BarryBobPosthole
07-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Watching him play on that gimpy foot was sad to watch.

BKB

Buckrub
07-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Speaking of which...........

Last December at deer camp I thought I had a stone bruise. Turned out to be Plantar Faciitis. In the next 5 months, it got so painful I cried at night. I tried the OTC stuff where it ties your toes back to your calves, and that did SOME, but it just HURT. I finally understood Alberts' problem. He's had it for years.

Then mine went away, about 95%. Poof. I have no clue. I feel it, but it is not pain anymore, just a small feeling.

Odd.

Chicken Dinner
07-23-2013, 10:46 PM
That whole Pujols deal is a perfect example of why the Cardinals are consistently do damn good. It takes a great organization to have the guts to cut loose a guy that meant so much to them because they recognized signing him for 10 years was just plain stupid.

BarryBobPosthole
07-23-2013, 11:03 PM
Mozeliak has made some good decisions. And the whole consistency from the farm system isn't new; it's been going on for a long time. Longer than Mo has been there for sure. This young crop they have in double A and triple A now are scary. I hope they resist the temptation to trade some of it away for some supposed big talent. I know that's probably inevitable, but I sure would like to see three or four of these guys get a shot. Problem is, this team is pretty damned good.
BKB

Buckrub
07-23-2013, 11:13 PM
They have a lot of skill. I think Jockety was an albatross, and when he left things took off. He's not terrible, but he isn't innovative. He thought hiring pitchers off of the trash heap was smart.

They have skill in evaluating talent. And guess what? They found another one..........Petrick. Didn't even draft him. He'll be a star.

They're just loaded. Doesn't mean they'll win, but it does mean they will compete, consistently.

Hey, you COULD be a Cubs fan, you know? The Depths of Permanent Despair. This is much better.

Dang I am missing seeing them this year. Dang.

P.S.
They will have to trade someone. Kolten Wong, Freese, Carpenter, Descalso, Kosma, (and Furcal is still under contract), can't all abide........too many the same age and ability. Carpenter is a star, they have to find a place for him, period. Hey, so is Adams.

And Motte is not even around, nor is Carpenter. Amazing..........

And sorry, but Beltran is expendable next year.........and Holliday is going to have to restructure to stay long term.

quercus alba
07-24-2013, 06:39 AM
Oh posh. You're just worried about your sweet little A Rod. :swordfight

But you better be, cause 65 games will be a drop in the bucket to him.

and they can't go after Bonds, he ain't an active player.

Not it at all Bucky,
the Yanks would be better off with Arod gone. The thing is , they crucified McGuire and he was using Andro which was legal at the time. Bonds gets a pass and now holds the most important record in baseball which will never be broken. They knew Bonds would holler "you don't want a black man to have the record yada yada" and all the black leaders would jump in. That's my complaint, sauce for the goose. Selig is too busy trying to keep Pete Rose out of the HOF to be truly concerned about the integrity of the game.

Buckrub
07-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Just bustin' yore chops, Vincey.....:)

I agree 100% on both McQwire and Bonds.....for what it's worth. And two million percent on Pete Rose. Pete Rose is a choir boy compared to 1/3 of the HOF.

OH, and what Pete Rose did should not be banned. In fact, it should be REQUIRED of EVERY MLB player. He only bet on HIS team to WIN. Never anything else. Or so it appears. And I believe him. Every player should put his own money on his own performance.

No one on Earth deserves the HOF more than Pete Rose. Period.

Well, maybe Willie Mays.

BarryBobPosthole
07-24-2013, 11:56 AM
The ignoring of Bonds' PED use had nothing to do with race. It had to do with money. MLB was making money hand over fist during that era. You had the McGwire-Sosa home run run, you had the Maris family at the St Louis ball park on national television when he hit number 62, you had all of these mad pitching performances, and you had Bonds. and that is what is so damned hypocritical about all of this hype about 'cleaning up baseball'. And the damned sports writers are just as hypocritical and as much the cause of this as anyone. But bottom line is, the number of non-players who benefited monetarily from PED use GREATLY outnumbers the number of actual players who did. And now those same people (read: BUD SELIG) are the ones who righteously say they're going to clean up baseball.
Poppycock. Clean up the sport but at least be honest and contrite about it. Make baseball spend a portion of the money the owners made off the thing on educating youth about the dangers of PEDs. And Stop these charades like the Braun and A-Rod stories. The owners have as much skin and responsibility in the game as any player. Take away a pennant if a player on the team is busted and you'll start seeing some action taken and some self policing by the union happen.

BKB

Buckrub
07-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Preach on, Bro' Red!!! Amen.

Buckrub
07-24-2013, 12:25 PM
And did you ever get Fox Sports Midwest?????

BarryBobPosthole
07-24-2013, 12:48 PM
I got it but had to pay for it. Had to add 'HD Premium' for seven bucks a month and now I get all of the Fox regions. Baseball a-go-go. They gave me a month free and said if I called sales and bitched I'd get another few months free. Still....it says I have it in my guide and I didn't. There's something ain't right about that.

BKB

Buckrub
07-24-2013, 12:51 PM
UM...........maybe I ought to call and discuss this. I want more info. Or you call me, you never answer. ha.

I have that too.........but I do NOT get all the Fox stations. The channels are in the 600 range..........and I get a lot of them, but not all by any means. I have no clue what the reasoning is on which ones I get. And they CHANGE!!! What's up with that? FSM stays, yes. So does Fox Sports South. But the rest move around.

If you get them all, you call me. This is serious stuff here.

Buckrub
07-24-2013, 12:57 PM
By the way, daughter and SIL here in CO Springs have Direct TV. They have the low end package. If they click "All Channels I Get", they get a MILLION channels on the guide that they don't get. There's few that are NOT in that list.

"All Channels I Get" is a joke.

quercus alba
07-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Charlie Hustlle and Bud Selig need to fight to the death in a cage match