PDA

View Full Version : A boat "how to" question....

Big Muddy
07-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Last weekend, I greased the two fore and aft bearings on my electric pontoon lift, and thought I was being very careful, not to put too much into the bearings....I even used some translucent type grease in case I over-greased.

However, as the temp. climbed, later in the day, two globs of grease oozed out and fell onto the carpet....and, wouldn't you know it, before I could remove the globs, one of my big-footed grandkids, stepped in it, and tracked the glob all the way down the center aisle....so, now my carpet looks like translucent sheeit!!!

Almost makes me wanna rip it out, and put in new stuff.

Any of you guys/gals have a good way to clean boat carpet??....I've not had much luck with the over-the-counter stuff.

Oh, yeah, thank you very much.

BarryBobPosthole
07-23-2013, 11:12 AM
WD 40. Spray a bunch on it. Best carpet cleaner there is.

BKB

Thumper
07-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Umm, I've heard of using WD40, but that would make me nervous trying to clean grease with more "oil".

I used to run into similar carpet stains in my pressure cleaning business. People would BBQ on their back porch or deck and the catch can would overflow and drip grease on the outdoor carpet. Heck, some people didn't even use a drip can and they'd have a real mess. I had commercial grade stuff I bought in bulk ... but there's some common stuff you can use.

Sprinkle baking soda or cornstarch on the area to help soak up the grease (first scrape up any globs). Let that work for 15-20 mins, then vacuum it up. If there's still a stain, sponge on some "dry-cleaning" solvent (some hardware stores carry it). Don't scrub or rub it in too much, but try to blot as much as possible.

If you STILL have a stain, mix up some quality dish washing liquid and vinegar (1:1 ratio) with warm water .. same deal, blot rather than scrub.

Clean up the left over detergent solution with cool water.

If that doesn't do it ... rip out the carpet and replace it! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-23-2013, 12:22 PM
WD 40 is water soluable and I guarantee it won't leave a stain. I've used it 100 times to clean grease off of carpets.

If it does, I'll hire a 20 year old Ole Miss cheerleader to get down on her knees and scrub it out. (also guaranteed not to graze on astroturf)

BKB

Buckrub
07-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Sea Foam

Big Muddy
Ill try the wd40, but you can forget the ole miss cheerleader.

H3ll, half of 'em are fruity-looking sissy-boys!!! ;)

Buckrub
Resolve, and a pressure washer.

Big Muddy
07-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Ive already tried Resolve....it did zip, zilch, nothing.

Buckrub
07-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Sea Foam then.

Big Muddy
07-23-2013, 02:21 PM
I don't think Seafoam is applicable in this case....however, I DO use it in the Merc. OptiMax.....and, all other engines that I got. ;)

Buckrub
07-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Thump's pressure washer would help.

And you SURE Sea Foam wouldn't just erase that mess, POOF??? you SURE?????

Big Muddy
07-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Yep, you're prolly right....it will erase the grease spots.....along with the carpet, too.

Big Muddy
07-23-2013, 02:59 PM
I read the label on a can of Seafoam....it says to not spill it on vinyl, plastic, or carpet.

However, it also said that it's safe for all seals....prolly kill a day'um walrus, however. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Well, did you try the WD40?
BKB

Big Muddy
07-23-2013, 10:44 PM
Well, did you try the WD40?
BKB

I definitely will try it, when I go back to the lakehouse, this weekend. I'll do a test spot on a hidden corner first, just to make sure it doesn't harm that particular type of carpet....but, since you've used wd40 on lots of carpet with no problem, I doubt that'll be a concern.

Sure hope it works, as well as you say it will.

BarryBobPosthole
07-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Spray it on there, let it sit for a little spell, and then wash the area with some regular cleaner. Ifyou aon't happy with it i'll eat my hat.

BKB