PDA

View Full Version : Question for the GH brain trust.....

Big Muddy
07-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Okay, Phole solved my carpet stains on the pontoon, so here's another, more complicated, quershun for you guys:

One of my docks has a real nice live box for keeping fish in, until I'm ready to clean them....it's mounted on chains, which are attached to a hand-crank type winch to lift and lower it outta the water....it's a real pain in the azz for both me and the kids, at least when the fish are biting good on the dock.

Someone gave me a nice little 12 volt 2,000 pound power winch, that came off an atv....it'd sure be nice if I could mount it, in place of the hand winch.

However, I really don't want to keep a battery charged up to run it, when there's a 110 volt socket less than 3 feet away.

What do I need to power up the winch, using 110 volt....transformer, etc., etc. ???

I know a lot about a lot of things, but two things I am positive of:

#1- I am NOT an electrician!!!
#2- That sheeit will kill you!!!

Thank You

Thumper
07-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Heck, that's an easy one Edward. Just do a net search for something like "Power converter ... 120VAC to 12 VDC" or some such. Most will prolly have a plug-in converter and a cigarette lighter type plug on the other end. Just cut the plug off and wire in the lift. Find out what the amperage draw is on the lift first ... you may have to go to a heavier converter. Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-PC-6-120AC-Power-Converter/dp/B0012BL8LG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1375117641&sr=8-3&keywords=120v+to+12v+adapter

I have one here but it's very low amperage ... I used it to use an auto type CB radio in the house as a base station a zillion years ago.

LW
07-29-2013, 03:04 PM
I am not an expert but I know that those winches draw quiet a bit of juice. If I did it, I would put a deep cycle battery on a trickle charger and wire to that. Just my thoughts.

Thumper
07-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Actually, that was my first thought. I'd set the battery right there with the winch and plug in a simple trickle charger or possibly even one of those little solar chargers. Tractor Supply has 'em.

Big Muddy
07-29-2013, 04:23 PM
After I looked at the pic on Thump's amazon link, I remembered that I had one of 'em for some odd reason, and tossed it up on a shelf in my shop, years ago.

Found it, dusted it off, plugged it in, and it works great....just need to put some new wires on it, coming outta the back.

It isn't a heavy duty type, so how do I tell if it's strong enough to run the winch???

The live box only weights about 30 pounds, then add another 20 pounds for the fish, so I'll only need to lift 50 pounds total.

Thumper
07-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Eddie, like LW says, those winches draw pretty heavy amps normally (especially on start-up) and that "sample" unit I posted is probably too small (I think it's rated at 6 amps or so). There should be a label/tag on your converter as well as one on the winch. The converter amps should be the same ... or preferably greater than your winch. Be carefull if the winch/bait tank binds up ... that'll prolly jump your amps up quite a bit also. Keep spare fuses handy.

'Course, you could play around with pulleys (like a small block and tackle) and reduce the strain quite a bit ... IF you have room ... but then you'd be making a Bucky project for yourself. The battery trick would be the simplest if you have one lying around. If you have to BUY a new battery, a nice converter might be more feasable.

Big Muddy
07-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Yep, the winch cable goes thru a single pulley at the end of a support bar out over the water, so there will be little resistance.

Think Ill just play around with converter, but prolly just end up with a battery and small charger.

Thanks.

Captain
07-29-2013, 07:38 PM
It isn't a heavy duty type, so how do I tell if it's strong enough to run the winch???

Plug the winch in, add 20 extra pounds of weight and hit the button. If it pulls it up its strong enough... :D

OR get Bucky to test it for you.
You are welcome, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
07-29-2013, 07:57 PM
That made even me laugh.

Niner
07-29-2013, 07:59 PM
I also agree with the battery and trickle charger method. You could probably get by with a Lawn Tractor battery, or an "inexpensive" car battery from Wally World. Not sure how much up/down action the fish basket gets, but I do believe this would be cheaper than an inverter capable of handling the current rating of your ATV wench. Of course, it money is of no object....

https://www.google.com/#q=20a+12v+inverter&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=mgH3UbztGYuI9ATDqIDoDQ&ved=0CEMQsxg&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49967636%2Cd.eWU%2Cpv.xjs.s.en_US.9jgl75mdu Ig.O&fp=7f6677816b31c7e6&biw=1280&bih=56
(https://www.google.com/#q=20a+12v+inverter&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=mgH3UbztGYuI9ATDqIDoDQ&ved=0CEMQsxg&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49967636%2Cd.eWU%2Cpv.xjs.s.en_US.9jgl75mdu Ig.O&fp=7f6677816b31c7e6&biw=1280&bih=569)

EDIT:
Oops, I was thinking bass-ackwards on the link above. You would need a 120VAC-to-12VDC converter.......better known as a power supply, NOT an inverter which is 12VDC-to-120VAC. My Bad!
PLUS, I imagine the unit would need to either be weather proof, or housed in a weather proof container of some sort.. Your idea for the Harbor Freight hoist is IMHO your best bet.

Niner
07-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Getting away from the 12VDC unit you have on hand. You could go with this Warn 120VAC powered unit that Tractor Supply carries.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/warn-120v-ac-pullzall?cm_vc=-10005

Big Muddy
07-30-2013, 01:27 PM
This oughta do it, and cheap, too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/110-volt-440-lb-capacity-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-40765.html

Thumper
07-30-2013, 04:29 PM
This oughta do it, and cheap, too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/110-volt-440-lb-capacity-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-40765.html

A half-ton hoist? Typical fisherman ... overstating the size & weight of his fish. ;)

Niner
07-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Ed, that looks like it should be just the thing.

Niner
07-31-2013, 05:40 AM
PLUS it is on sale through the end of August!!

One thing that concerns me on that hoist though, is that your application has it out in the weather.....kindof sortof. If I remember correctly, the dock is covered, so mounting it up in the rafters might work out ok.

Big Muddy
07-31-2013, 09:03 AM
Yep, Niner, the only thing exposed to the elements is the very tip-end of the hoist's lift arm....the rest of the hoist, including the winch is under the roof of the boat dock....and, the elec. socket is actually inside the dock's storage shed, so weather shouldn't be a problem.

But, just to be on the safe side, I'll prolly put a waterproof cover on the winch, when it's not in use.