PDA

View Full Version : Sheeesh! Feeling old ....

Thumper
07-30-2013, 08:47 AM
I remember a conversation I had with my kid about 20 years ago. We were riding along in the car as an "oldie-goldie" came on the radio. I reached over to turn the volume up a bit. My son was about 10 years old and I mentioned to him that I like the song and used to have the album. After his questioning look, I had to explain to him what an album is (was?) and it progressed into a full explanation of what a "phonograph record" is.

I was reminded of that conversation this weekend at an estate sale. There was a lady there who had brought along her grand(?)son who appeared to be around 10 years old. She pointed to a ("modern", not so old) typewriter there and said she used to have one just like it when she was in college. She then had to explain what a typewriter is and show him how it worked. The whole time, the kid was looking at her like she was from another planet! :(

Fido
07-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Technology can indeed make us senior citizens feel a bit ancient!

Buckrub
07-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Went to bank in the town that the farm is in, today. They have an internal TV thing showing ads for the bank above the tellers. One of the 'ads' was "Used typewriters for sale, $50.00"...........

quercus alba
07-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Technology can indeed make us senior citizens feel a bit ancient!

So will grey hair and arthritis

Thumper
07-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Went to bank in the town that the farm is in, today. They have an internal TV thing showing ads for the bank above the tellers. One of the 'ads' was "Used typewriters for sale, $50.00"...........

Ouch! Those are a dime-a-dozen at estate sales ... you can't GIVE 'em away! Unless of course, they are the ancient museum piece type.