PDA

View Full Version : Breaking In A New Barrel...

Niner
08-08-2013, 04:54 AM
Well, I FINALLY got a chance to take my new Winny M70 Ext Weather (30-06) out for a test drive last weekend.
I've "only" had it about a year now. Between being sick and the rainy weather this year.....anyway...

We went down to The Farm where I could shoot and work on it.
I had decided to take Winchester's advice and follow their barrel break-in procedure.

Thumper, that gun vise I got from you REALLY came in handy for this!!

http://www.winchesterguns.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=223

....and I am glad that I did. For the first several shots, when I pulled the bolt and looked down the barrel...I could actually SEE some of the bullet's jacket that had been shredded off. About the 6th or 7th shot, I quit seeing that.....and by the 20th shot the inside of the barrel was looking like a mirror.

I also used this time to get the new scope dialed in. After I got it "on paper" at about 30 yards, we moved the target out to 100 yards to see how it would do. Well, by this time the temp had gotten up to about 90 degrees, and the barrel was a little warm too. BUT, it was shooting just a little over MOA. I am hoping that the next time I take it out that I can get that down to sub MOA like my OLD Featherweight does. It usually puts three shots into a nice ragged cloverleaf at 100 yards. Hopefully, it will like either the 150 or the 165 grain loads that I have had such good luck with in the past, and I won't have to "tinker" with loading this and that and the other to find the sweet-spot.

:rocket:rocket:)AR:)AR:)AR

Buckrub
08-08-2013, 08:42 AM
I always just took mine antelope hunting! :)