PDA

View Full Version : Attention you 10 Percenters

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2013, 03:24 PM
No, not you. I mean the left handed folks, like JB and me. Us smart people who use the right side of their brain for what it was intended to be used for. What, you think I'm going to tell you? Its a lefty secret.

Its International Left Handers Day. Enjoy it, my sinister brethren and sistren!

BKB

http://healthland.time.com/2013/08/13/happy-left-handers-day-what-science-says-about-handedness/

Brain
Happy Left-Hander’s Day! What Science Says About Handedness

It's a day to celebrate the 10 percent who always feel they’re being elbowed out by the other 90 percent.
By Alice Park @aliceparknyAug. 13, 20132 Comments

Left-handed? Today is your day — International Left Handers Day, that is — a day to celebrate the 10 percent who always feel they’re being elbowed out by the other 90 percent.

While the body is remarkably symmetrical in many ways, in some key areas, it’s decidedly one-sided. About 10 percent of people are left-handed, a proportion that, for whatever reason, has remained relatively stable throughout human history (scientists have even determined that some cave painters etched their masterpieces with their left hands).

People who study the brain, and early development, have a number of theories about what drives handedness, but are at a loss to explain why humans are the only species with handedness. One theory holds that hand dominance is established in the womb by the hand that babies prefer hold to their mouths, while another says that higher testosterone in utero can increase the chances of becoming a lefty.

But regardless of what sets the pattern, handedness can play a role in how we think, behave and interact with others. The brain, after all, is asymmetrical, with many thinking and intellectual skills centered in the left hemisphere, while emotional and mood-related functions are concentrated in the right. Some studies, for example, find that left-handed people tend to be more vulnerable to negative emotions such as depression and anger, possibly because southpaws, as they’re known, engage the right sides of their brains more actively.

An interesting trial published earlier this year even showed that people who clenched their right fists before memorizing a group of words, thereby activating the left sides of their brains, performed better on recall tests than those who balled their right hands into a fist (the left side is home to the lobe of the hippocampus, the brain’s memory hub, that’s responsible for context-dependent and autobiographical recall, while the right hippocampus is linked more strongly to spatial memory.

Scientists have also found that lefties may be more prone to fear than righties, and therefore may be vulnerable to post traumatic stress disorder.

Clearly, these associations aren’t absolute – otherwise no left-handers would ever jump out of a plane or brave New York City streets as a taxi driver. But scientists have found that left-handers have more symmetry between the right and left sides of their brains compared to right-handers. And that can have implications for everything from language to motor skills.

“The majority or people who are right-handed are left-hemisphere language dominant,” says Dr. Daniel Geschwind, a professor of neurology, psychiatry and human genetics and University of California, Los Angeles. That means most of their language processing occurs in the left side of the brain.

“Almost 10 percent of [left-handers] have that flipped, and have right-hemisphere language dominance, and many have almost equal distribution of language skills in both hemispheres,” Geschwind says. “The notion is that left-handers are less constrained when it comes to brain asymmetry, so their skills are most randomized and less specified” to one side of the brain or the other.

MORE: Brain Science: Does Being Left-Handed Make You Angry?

That can have advantages, particular after a stroke. Right-handed patients who have a stroke on the left side of the brain tend to recover their speaking abilities more slowly than left-handers, since they don’t have the wider distribution of language networks throughout both sides of the brain.

But there’s also a reason why left-handedness isn’t more common, even if it provides such advantages.

“Having more distributed language abilities probably makes the system more complicated, so it may increase the susceptibility to developmental [abnormalities] and neurodevelopmental disorders,” says Geschwind. That could explain some studies that correlated risk of autism, ADHD and dyslexia with being left-handed or with being ambidextrous.

So which comes first? Does being left-handed contribute to a different organization of the brain that makes it less asymmetric, or does the brain’s layout veer someone toward left- or right-handedness?

“It’s fundamentally related, but it’s more like it happens together,” says Geschwind. “Left-handedness is a marker for how the brain is organized in a more symmetric than less symmetric way.”

Appreciating how that lack of symmetry translates into benefits — among high test scorers at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, for example, about 22 percent are lefties, which is double their proportion of the population — or risks is still a work in progress.

Which means that, in the meantime, lefties should celebrate their differences — or, in the case of their brains, the lack of difference between their right and left sides.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2013/08/13/happy-left-handers-day-what-science-says-about-handedness/#ixzz2bsYE31Z8

Buckrub
08-13-2013, 03:46 PM
I ain't one (my folks made me switch). But I created one.

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2013, 03:54 PM
My first grade teacher made me switch, and then gave me poor grades for penmanship. Then I moved to another school and my teacher there told me to write with whatever hand I wanted to. I still have bad penmanship unless I print. I don't do that backwards leaning stuff though. I still get ink all over my hand when I write, which these days is seldom.

BKB

Buckrub
08-13-2013, 03:55 PM
If you think lefties and righties are identical except one is on one side, and the other is on the other side...........then view a slow motion video of an MLB baseball pitcher throwing a ball.

The lefty will make you cry, it looks so painful and impossible.

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2013, 04:11 PM
Look at ANY overhand pitch in slow motion and you wonder why the pitcher's arm doesn't just detach itself and hit the batter in the head, left or right. I think its a misconception that lefties have more spin or movement on a baseball and I think that encourages a lot of lefties to throw junk. I threw a pretty good breaking ball back in the day but i threw it all wrong and imparted the movement with my elbow and wrist instead of doing it with my grip like they teach nowadays. I've been noticing how many young pitchers throw overhand these days and its ugly. Its still the best way to pitch mind you, but it just doesn't look natural.

And I wonder if a person could throw a baseball like some women can throw a softball underhanded. That looks like the most natural way to throw to me. And they throw BBs. And HARD. Is it against the rules to throw underhanded? I know submariners, I think Dan Quisenberry might have been the last I saw at Kansas City, actually throw a sidearm ball that comes from less than 90 degrees.

BKB

Buckrub
08-13-2013, 04:23 PM
No, it's not against the rules. The rules merely say you must begin your motion in contact with the rubber, AFTER the catcher is in position........and you can't take your sign from the catcher if off the rubber.

I think MANY current pitchers lose contact with rubber WAY too soon and let go of ball WAY afterwards.........which I think is illegal. But no one calls it.

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Maybe if the buttholes get their way and they add more instant replay they'll start calling it more. I'll stop watching baseball when they give the umps flags to throw.

Speaking of baseball, Waino and the Cards have a big series this week. I don't imagine you'll have time to watch it though.

BKB

Buckrub
08-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Don't get it here. I'm in withdrawal till about 08/28 or so..........

More Spongebob. I am getting more Spongebob.

I so much hate Spongebob. HOWEVER, he is better than anything on Cartoon Network. Spongebob is silly, but he has a job, a friend, a boss, a home, and tries to do the right thing. I can live with that........but just for another week. Then I'm going to lose it.

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Most lefties I've met, Sunshine are little mixed up like that. I shoot righty, cast a spinning and casting reel righty, bat righty, golf righty, but do everything else practically lefty. My son is left handed too but throws a ball right handed. Bats lefty, shoots lefty, and is pretty much lefty except for throwing a ball and that's screwy.

You're a lefty at heart, Sunshine, that's what matters!

BKB

Buckrub
08-13-2013, 05:08 PM
I deal cards left only.
I drink holding glass left hand, mostly.
I can write either, but right is best.
I can bat either way, both poor if it's a curveball, my downfall.
I can throw left if needed, not as hard, but I can.
I use spinning reels ONLY with left hand, casting reels ONLY with right.
I count money left handed.
I eat right handed.

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Here's the deal, Einstein. Look at your list. You do all the fun shit with your left hand and all your work with your right hand. It's as plain as the nose on your face: its more fun being a left hander.

BKB

Buckrub
08-13-2013, 05:34 PM
I shoot right handed.

The nose on my face is plainer than the nose on most people's faces.

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2013, 05:39 PM
I wouldn't think anyone who misses as often as you do would consider shooting fun.

BAM!

BKB

Buckrub
08-13-2013, 05:40 PM
OH geez.

So, shooting one time is fun? That's insane.

I have way more fun shooting at stuff than anyone I know.

BAM BAM

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2013, 05:45 PM
One of the things I loved about the elder George Bush is that, being a lefty, he'd hold a spinning reel upside down so he could reel it with his left hand. I guess he learned that way and fished that way his whole life. Look at any old vacation photo of him and he usually has a fishing rod in his hand and its usually upside down. That just the coolest thing ever.

BKB

Buckrub
08-13-2013, 05:48 PM
??

What is "upside down"?

I reel all spinning reels left handed.

johnboy
08-13-2013, 06:00 PM
A 'lefty' holds the rod and casts with his left hand and reels a spinning reel with his right hand. Dad was a lefty and I've got all his old Mitchell reels and they are all right hand crank.

Buckrub
08-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Then I'm a righty.

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Depending on how you read that, I guess it could raise a few questions. Like, what exactly is a 'used left boob'?

BKB

Captain
08-13-2013, 06:49 PM
A "used left boob" would be one with a lot of miles on it??? As opposed to a new boob or perhaps a recapped boob...
Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Boobs, both used and new and recapped, are an attention getter around here. It's why Bucky is so popular. He's one.

BKB

Buckrub
08-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Hey dude! I don't even like you anymore.

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Go Cards!

BKB

Buckrub
08-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Can't beat the Cubs.

Can't beat the Pirates.

May not be the year.

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Oh hell. You giving up? At 18games over 500 in August? The Cards will finished with 90+ games won this year, more than their last championship year.
BKB

Buckrub
08-13-2013, 08:50 PM
I never give up. But I know the team. You are just a wild eyed fan. I'm a fanatic. A studied one.

I am always optimistically pessimistic.

Too many pitchers hurt..........simple as that.

Losing 3-0 to Pirates with our ACE pitcher on the mound.

You need to stand on the 60 1/2 foot mound and face reality, you Democrat.........

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2013, 09:05 PM
I see a team that got a comeuppance right when they needed it. This series is important. I look for them to sweep.

BKB

Thumper
08-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Stinkin' baseball! Now THAT was a thread hijack if I ever saw one. Speakin' of 'jacking ... I can start out right handed, switch to lefty ... and pick up a stroke! :D

Captain
08-13-2013, 10:08 PM
How did this thread go from an informational topic on left handed folks, to entertaining banter about boobs, to the dull topic of baseball.
Focus folks! Get back to the boob talk! :D

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Its Thumper's fault. Now he's on self gratification.

BKB

Thumper
08-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Mention boobs and I'm all over it! ;)

Captain
08-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Did you read above where Sunny reels in fish with her boob?
How we went from THAT conversation to baseball is beyond me...

jb
08-14-2013, 08:24 AM
I'm a true lefty except back in 63 Uncle Sam said there were no lefted handed magots in the Marines, made me shoot and qualify shooting right handed. Only made Sharpshooter but have used the skill taught me a few times having to take a deer with a right handed shot.
When I'm salmon fishing the reel and the rod guides are facing down, hold pole in my right hand and reel with my left.
Why would anyone do it different. When they show pictures of fishing poles the rod and the guides are on the bottom.
Oh ya, I'm partial to left boobs, easier to get at the way womens blouses button :)

Thumper
08-14-2013, 08:32 AM
I guess it was the way things were done back in the day. I remember one of my brothers was left-handed as a young kid, but my parents always made him change hands and do everything right-handed. He's been "right-handed" ever since as far as I know. I'd forgotten all about that until reminded by some of the comments in this thread. I wonder if parents still try to "guide" their left-handed kids into using their right hands as young kids?

Jerry, I remember in the military, all the left handers caught hell with their M-16's. The DI's would make 'em button the top button on their shirts. They had a heck of a time with that hot brass flying out and straight down the neck of their shirts. Nothing like taking cover in a foxhole in 'Nam while getting shot at, then standing up to do the "hot brass in my shirt dance" after returning fire! :D

BarryBobPosthole
08-14-2013, 08:38 AM
My grandson is almost 2 1/2 and he does stuff pretty equally now with both left and right hands. I'd never try to guide a kid as far as their handedness goes. But now that we're talking about it, we do pay a lot of attention to it. At least I do. I'm ready to have the next Sandy Koufax in the family.

JB, those blouse buttons always gave me trouble, since you almost have to unbutton them with your right hand. Wonder who dreamed that stuff up? Some righty?

BKB

Niner
08-14-2013, 04:19 PM
I write left handed.
I eat left handed.
I drink left handed.
I hold and cast my fishing rod with my left hand and reel with my right.
If I hold the steering wheel of the car with one hand....it is the left.
I shoot long guns right handed.....because that is my Master Eye.
I CAN shoot handguns with either left or right hand....but usually right handed.
I run the computer's mouse with my right hand.

There's a family story that when I was a baby and learning to feed myself that I used my left hand. Dad would put the spoon in my right hand and before I got it to my mouth I'd have swapped it to my left hand. Dad used to tell that story and just laugh and laugh.