PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question

BarryBobPosthole
08-14-2013, 09:00 AM
I've been sort of struggling with this the past couple of weeks and thought I'd just ask advice of the crew here.
I'm a pretty open minded guy, I think. Not particularly set in my ways. In fact, when I encounter a friend who is unreasonably set in their ways, I pick on 'em a bit because of it. And I think my experience as a fisherman through my life has seen me go through several stages, much like hunters go through, and in fact went through myself. Its why I don't hunt much any more. Not because I don't like it or because I have any moral feelings about it, I just enjoy fishing twelve months out of the year. Its easier. I'm lazier maybe. Hard to describe. I say that to say that I've been both meat hunter/fisherman in part of my fishing career. My family are still that way. You catch a five pound bass in the pond, its likely to end up on the table. Its where the fascination with size first came from, before TV made outdoor sports into a silly process of hunting and fishing for trophies instead of just enjoying the hunting and fishing part for what it is. I know that and accept it. I still take fish home for the table once in a while, not every time but often enough to be able to eat fish when I want to. I like to eat bass, some claim it isn't good table fare but phooey on them and I typically have a nice mess of bass and bluegill when I do bring them home. The bigguns get kissed on the head and released, mainly because we're part custodian/part guest at the place we fish the most often. We owe it to the landowner not to rape and pillage his waters but to take care of them.
At Dogtooth, among the friends that go up there I thought we had an agreement not to cut big fish. I've been the call from the governor for many a 17" smallie in the livewell that is called The Green Mile for a good reason. This year, there were SEVERAL 18+ " smallmouth that got cut, frozen, and brought home. And there was a 25" and 27" walleye cut that I am not supposed to know about. That stuff really really bothers me but I've not said anything. First, it ain't my fish and it ain't my business. I can only control what I do. If I say something I'm the old worrywort busybody. So I keep my trap shut. (and write about it on the internet for the world to see)
I've went so far as had the thought to go a different week up there than those guys do. That'd break my heart. Its a good group of guys and we've become good friends over the years. That'd be stupid. But the thought has occurred to me. It bothers me that much.
I know I just need to get over it. But it ain't that easy. Maybe if I heard that from you guys it'd help me just move on.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
08-14-2013, 11:50 AM
One of my issues is I drive 1100 miles to fish for trophy walleyes, not to fish for food. That's a bonus. and we catch plenty of chickens, as we call them. Every big fish taken out of there lessens my chances of catching a huge on one of these years. So I'm looking at it entirely selfishly. Or am I? Maybe I'm just being a curmudgeon.

BKB

johnboy
08-14-2013, 01:34 PM
No you're not a curmudgeon. Well, maybe you are but not on this topic. I've never been a big 'keeper of fish' but maybe that's because I really don't like eating fish all that much and am a fun fisher and not a meat fisher. Fresh walleye or whatever, right out of the water is great but once it's been in the freezer I'm not that interested. I've always practiced catch and release on big fish with more than a few comments from people I've been fishing with but it's my fish and I'll do what I want with it. Guess that works both ways. My biggest walleye ever was 10.5 and it went back in the water and I felt good about that. Like you said, there are lots of eater size fish out there so no need to kill the big breeders.

On this note, there has been much talk around town about a 61.5 lb tyee that was taken the other day out of the Tyee Pool (http://www.tyeeclub.org/) which is the biggest fish caught by the Club in 30 years or somesuch. A beautiful fish and kudos to the angler but I must admit to a touch of sadness to see that beautiful fish and all those 'big' genes going to waste. It would have been better in the long run if it had made it up the river to spawn.

Bwana
08-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Here is the way I see it. You have set a personal standard as to what caliber of fish YOU will keep (I do something similar with deer but that scale can slide depending on that year's conditions and how badly I want to eat sausage) and are upset when others don't share the same view. I understand that and it makes sense that if you harvest that dandy fish or buck, it isn't going to grow into a MONSTER. The thing is that alot of folks are quite tickled to catch/shoot a dandy, as they should be, and is it your/my right to rain on their parade just because they view is "skewed?"

I see several ways of dealing with it:
- rather then brow-beating them for keeping the dandy fish, educate them. Explain to them how releasing the dandies to grow into a MONSTER can benefit them, which you likely have, tell them how much better eating the smaller fish are, etc.
- don't fish with such folks and search out a group that share your view but know that this group will likely have other issues you will need to contend with.
- lastly, realize that what few bigger fish members of your party keep during the few days you are there likely have a negligible affect on the overall population of big fish. I understand that if everybody keeps these dandy fish it will be detrimental to the chance of any MONSTER fish but if your tripmates are the exception rather then the rule then I truly don't think it is a big deal.

Just my two cents worth.

BarryBobPosthole
08-14-2013, 05:39 PM
There you go being sensible, Bwana.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
08-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Well, I think the answer that I knew and prolly wouldn't want to admit, is that I need to stop being so high and mighty about it. I won't stop fussing at anybody who cuts a trophy fish. I think its stupid to kill an animal like that for meat whenthere's plenty available that are just as good or better for the table. But these guys are good friends, great people to fish with, and they're a big part of why I look forward to these trips.
BKB

Bwana
08-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Hey, you just need to agree to disagree Jack. (said in my best Si Robertson voice)