PDA

View Full Version : Sad day and gonna get sadder.....

Big Muddy
08-15-2013, 02:56 PM
Yesterday, wifey finally made the dreaded decision to put down her little Papillon.
I love the little dog, just as much as she does, but I left the final decision up to her.
The little dog is now totally blind, and has lost both bowel and bladder functions.
It's just no longer fair to let her suffer and struggle.

Our vet who is a good friend is coming to our house to perform the procedure, Tuesday morning, while wifey is at work. She doesn't want to be here. She will have all weekend and Monday to love on her, and say her goodbyes.

We've had many pets through the years, but this is the first one that we've actually had to put down. Most have either died suddenly from old age, got hit by vehicles, or other accidents.

I built this little wooden casket for her, and finished digging the grave in our pet cemetary in our backyard, this morning.

Bwana
08-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Sorry to hear it B.M.

Though she is going pretty good right now on her 3.5 legs I have been thinking about what is going to have to be done when my 7.5 year old lab loses her good back leg and it ain't something I'm looking forward to.

Again, my condolences.

BarryBobPosthole
08-15-2013, 03:34 PM
That's tough sledding, Eddie, and a tougher assignment. I couldn't do it with my last dog, my wife had to take her to the vet. Maybe folks who put them down themselves with a 22 have it right, I don't know. Still, I don't think I could do it now. I HAVE done it a few times when I was younger and it hurt then too. Those were farm dogs though and were viewed by the family as much livestock as pets. Just part of it.
None of that makes your job any easier. I'll be thinking of you guys.
BKB

Sunshine
08-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Sorry to hear this Eddie, but you are making a good decision for your family dog.

The hardest part of being an animal owner, is deciding when the quality of your animals life isn't good.

No reason to let an animal live in pain and fear, because its health has deteriorated beyond repair.

You made a beautiful casket and it will be filled with a lot of good memories!

Here's a poem I really like!

If It Should Be
Author Unknown.

If it should be that I grow weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.
You will be sad, I understand;
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years -
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come, so let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
And please stay with me until the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve - it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years -
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

Thumper
08-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Man the sucks Edward. It's never easy. I'm always the one that has to do the deed and make that final trip to the vet. Lynn can't handle it and totally loses it if she's present. It's not easy for me either, but somebody has to do it. I always insist on holding the pet in my arms as it's put down. I want that small amount of comfort and security to be their final memory.

Buckrub
08-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Sorry man.

It's the main reason we don't do dogs anymore. Enough sadness with the people!

Big Muddy
08-15-2013, 05:49 PM
I'd get another Papillon in a heartbeat....most loving little buggers I've ever been around....wifey says "NO" more inside dogs.

Guess I'm stuck with Sandy. ;)

johnboy
08-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Done it twice and don't ever want to do it again. That's part of why I never got another dog after the last. All my sympathies to you and the missus.

Captain
08-15-2013, 07:14 PM
That's the reason we will not have any more dogs either. It is too hard to let em go.
So sorry for your loss.
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
08-15-2013, 07:30 PM
It hurts to lose 'em, but I can't imagine not having oneto yell at once in a while.
BKB

Buckrub
08-15-2013, 07:32 PM
I can.

I have just learned a little of the value of being alone. Memories help. Friends help. But in the end, it's you and the Universe. The Universe always wins.

Niner
08-16-2013, 06:21 AM
Man, Eddie........Sorry to hear about the pup. That indeed IS some tough duty. One of the big reasons I too have not gotten another dog. Leaves too big a hole in your heart. I know you and mama will get through this.

HideHunter
08-16-2013, 09:15 AM
Sometimes I feel like I have dogs buried all over this farm. I took one to the vet. One of the hardest things I've ever done. I do it myself now. Doesn't seem like it should be easier - but for me it is. I know God don't make no mistakes - but why would a parrot live to be seventy and a good dog twelve?

Big Skyz
08-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Eddie you know I just went through this and frankly it still stings pretty bad. So I know exactly what you and your wife are going through. We are not going to get another dog, not for a long time, if ever. Good dogs are hard to get over, but great dogs, I'm not sure one ever gets over the loss.

Big Muddy
08-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Sunny, my vet calls that "twilight" sleep, and yes, he will put her into the twilight sleep before the final procedure is administered.

Sunshine
08-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Good. That way she knew you were there with her and she just went to sleep.
Sorry you had to go through it, but you made the right decision for her.
You have a good vet!!!!