PDA

View Full Version : So ... Malia and Sasha are "Senior Staffers"??? (FWIW)

Thumper
08-19-2013, 11:09 PM
Judicial Watch Obtains Documents Detailing the Cost to Taxpayers for Michelle Obama’s Family Trip to Africa

Charges for the Aircraft and Crew Alone Amount to $424,142

Judicial Watch, the organization that investigates and fights government corruption, announced today that it has obtained mission expense records and passenger manifests from the United States Air Force related to the June 21-27, 2011, trip taken by First Lady Michelle Obama, her family and her staff to South Africa and Botswana. Judicial Watch obtained the documents pursuant to an August 19, 2011, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit (Judicial Watch v. U.S. Air Force (No. 11-1496)). Judicial Watch is investigating the purpose and itinerary of the trip as well as a breakdown of the costs to taxpayers.

On June 28, 2011, Judicial Watch filed a FOIA request seeking the mission taskings, transportation records, and passenger manifests for Michelle Obama’s Africa trip. Documents were only provided after Judicial Watch filed suit:

•According to U.S. Department of Defense’s published hourly rates for the C-32A aircraft used for the trip, Judicial Watch calculated the total cost to American taxpayers was $424,142 for use of the aircraft (34.8 flight hours x $12,188 per hour). (The C-32 is a specially configured military version of the Boeing 757.) Other expenses – meals (off the plane), transportation, security, various services, etc. – have yet to be disclosed.

•The passenger manifests confirm the presence of Obama’s daughter’s, Malia and Sasha on the trip. The two girls are listed as “Senior Staff.” The manifests also list Mrs. Obama’s mother, Marian Robinson, and niece and nephew, Leslie and Avery Robinson, as well Mrs. Obama’s makeup and hairstylist (Carl Ray and Johnny Wright).

•The expense records also show $928.44 was spent for “bulk food” purchases on flight. Overall, during the trip, 192 meals were served for the 21 passengers on board.

The professed purpose of Michelle Obama’s trip to South Africa and Botswana was to encourage young people living in the two growing democracies to become involved in national affairs; and during her scheduled stops in Pretoria and Cape Town, South Africa and in Gaborone, the capital of Botswana, the First Lady used the opportunity to speak on education, health and wellness issues.The trip also included such tourist events as visits to historical landmarks and museums, plus a nonworking chance to spend time with Nelson Mandela, a meeting that Mrs. Obama described as “surreal.” The trip ended with a private family safari at a South African game reserve before the group returned to Washington on June 27. “This trip was as much an opportunity for the Obama family to go on a safari as it was a trip to conduct government business,” said Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton. “This junket wasted tax dollars and the resources of our overextended military. No wonder we had to sue to pry loose this information.”

LW
08-20-2013, 07:52 AM
I bet this is the first time that the tax payers have footed the bill for a presidential family get-away.

Thumper
08-20-2013, 08:06 AM
Ha ha! Yeah, VERY doubtful ... but it seems "lately", these family get-aways are extremely frequent. I think the point is in the deception. It's deemed a "business trip" and the kids are listed as Senior Staffers to be part of the "necessary" entourage. When I traveled for my company, if I'd done that, I'd have been fired ... not to mention the fact the IRS would have nailed me if caught charging it off as a "business expense". Even if the family doesn't tag along, I don't think I've ever seen a President take so many "vacations". I don't get involved with many of these political discussions ... what's the point? But this dude and his family seem to have simply thrown the "rulebook" out the window and nothing is ever said about it.

I suppose what it all boils down to is not so much WHAT is done ... but HOW it's done.

Buckrub
08-20-2013, 09:03 AM
This place is out of control. There is no fix.

Niner
08-20-2013, 10:01 AM
I always thought Camp David was where the POTUSes were supposed to go to "get away" from DC.

Thumper
08-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Heck, I don't even think the POTUS went with them. This was a "girls only" trip! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-20-2013, 10:54 AM
This gets brought up every time some first lady changes the china or the drapes in the White House (Nancy Reagan), has fancy dinners (Laura Bush), goes on a family vacation (Bush I) or entertains friends in the White House (Dolly Friggin Madison and Hillary Clinton).

Must be a slow news day.

BKB

Thumper
08-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Awwww, it's old news actually. But, it's slow here too ... just wanted to stir a bit of mud. The difference is ... in all those other instances, our economy wasn't quite as fucked up as it is now in the days of sequesters and crap. Maybe the First Family should practice a bit of "sequestering" in these days of hard times.

Naaaaa! THAT ain't gonna happen!

se·ques·ter /səˈkwestər/

Noun

A general cut in government spending.

Buckrub
08-20-2013, 12:38 PM
I get it now! Since it happens a LOT, it's ok this time!!!

BarryBobPosthole
08-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Sigh. Yeah, I guess its worse this time. I mean, its gotta be. He's a black, muslim Kenyan, right?
BKB

Buckrub
08-20-2013, 01:06 PM
FINALLY!! You have come to the light.

Hallelujah and stuff.

Buckrub
08-20-2013, 01:10 PM
P.S.
No, it's because he's an even bigger egomaniac and Elitist than Bill Clinton. That's the real answer. They both see themselves as King of Earth.

BarryBobPosthole
08-20-2013, 01:28 PM
I know, those elitist travelling Obamas. they're worse than the Clintons! And maybe even worse than the Reagans! the nerve of them representing their country! Who do they they thing they are, the first family or something?

BKB

http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/photographs/trips.html

LJ3
08-20-2013, 01:46 PM
heh heh heh.... :beer:spank:slap

Chicken Dinner
08-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Bucky, I couldn't agree more. To date, no POTUS other than possibly Dick Nixon has been a bigger egomaniac than Bill Clinton. In spite of how much I fundamentally disagree with Mr. Obama on just about everything, he has not brought personal disgrace to the Office of the President just because he thought he could get away with it.

Thumper
08-20-2013, 02:02 PM
I think the whole point is being missed here. The "point" is actually made in the title to this post ... not the content.

Why do you suppose they were listed as such?

BarryBobPosthole
08-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Ah, I see. Its an allegation of fraud. Based on what? The story as I recall it was that the Senior Staff designation was the section of the plane they sat in and not the function that they were performing.

To me its pretty funny that someone would think that the president/first family would do something that stupid to get past some supposed travel and expense accounting rule.

anyway, believe what you will. Most do nowadays regardless of the facts.

BKB

Thumper
08-20-2013, 02:28 PM
I dunno ... did we read the same article?

The passenger manifests confirm the presence of Obama’s daughter’s, Malia and Sasha on the trip. The two girls are listed as “Senior Staff.”

BarryBobPosthole
08-20-2013, 02:38 PM
You're reading the 'Judicial Review's statements of fact. when this came out in the news ( a few years ago actually), it was all pretty much explained that the Judicial Review was FOS. Not sure why its being brought up now.

BKB

Buckrub
08-20-2013, 02:53 PM
I dunno. I worked for one of these for 12 years and know stuff. It's amazing. This one is worse, IMHO.

I realize I am not smart, and not a good thinker. But I am always seriously amazed that other sentient beings cannot see what I see. Or vice versa. Honest, it floors me. Where is the disconnect? Probably me.........but I don't get it.

BarryBobPosthole
08-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Well, one reason I don't see what you see is it seems like what you think you see is based on stuff like this article. an article that is factually inaccurate, over two years old, and totally and completely misleading in the rest of its facts too (look it up).

I have enough that I don't like about this president without making stuff like this up or getting upset over it even if it was true.

BKB

Buckrub
08-20-2013, 03:09 PM
I didn't even read that article. I could get JUST as upset as you, if I let myself think that your opinion of MY opinion is based on what YOU think I read, and don't read.

Did you follow that? :)

I mostly read very liberal news sites. I do not watch news on TV. I never watch Fox news except for that one blonde, and I dunno what she says. I never EVER watch 'talking heads', from either side. I erase 99.999% of political emails. I only keep the ones that are funny, cause I don't see ANY purpose to a POTUS other than Comic Relief, and never have.

I just bristle at this one. I have heard him talk. I listen to him. He's a jerk. His background is awful, suspect, and unbecoming a POTUS. He has demonstrated hate for what I love. He has demonstrated love for what I hate. He acts like a King.

I base that on observation, not email, and not articles.

BarryBobPosthole
08-20-2013, 03:19 PM
If you said what I think you said, its not what you thought I said when I said it in that other post.
BKB

Buckrub
08-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Well dang.

Clearly I'm wrong again.

Thumper
08-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Like I said ... the whole purpose was to stir the mud a little. This place has been a bit boring lately. :D

I could give a squat. Nothing I can say or do is going to change anything and bitching about this dufe is like pissing into the wind.

Nothing could have been "hidden" ... the trip was highly publicized and photos were in all the papers. Nothing more than another vacation for the kids paid by our taxes during a recession. (sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

Buckrub
08-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Which somtimes is just dadgum unavoidable.

:D