PDA

View Full Version : Remington 7600

Arty
08-23-2013, 09:07 AM
Anyone have any experience with these? I have one that doesn't want to feed the shells very well. It WILL feed, but they catch and will mar up the tip of the bullet.

I'm thinking may be a worn magazine, but google searches say a new mag may not help.

Possibly the chamber needs polished?
It looks clean to me, but I guess there could be small burs on it.

Anybody have one or work on one in the past?

LJ3
08-23-2013, 09:10 AM
Agree... sounds like poliching the feed ramp is what you need. It's easy peasy to do if you have a dremel.

BarryBobPosthole
08-23-2013, 09:15 AM
I've always wanted one of those in 223. Nice guns.

BKB

Arty
08-23-2013, 09:41 AM
This is a 1981.... MUCH prettier than the new ones.

I love remmys

Arty
08-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Damn iPhone pic orientation ...

Niner
08-25-2013, 06:21 AM
I'm surprised Thumper hasn't chimed in on this one. He's a big fan of the ol' 760.

Thumper
08-25-2013, 06:49 AM
Yep, I'm a huge fan of the Rem. 760 and killed every bear I ever hunted with one (about 8-10 of 'em I think?) If that's an '81, it would have been the first year of the 7600 as the 760 was phased out in '81 when the 7600 was introduced. I didn't comment here because I've never had a feed/ejection problem with either of my 760's. My answer would have been the same as LJ's ... my guess would be a burr on the feed ramp. I'm not much for workin' on guns ... I just shoots 'em ... so I'm not the best one to ask for advice when it comes to fixin' problems. I was waitin' for Cappy to chime is as he's the expert in that regard. ;)

The only "complaint" I ever had about the 760 was if you didn't carry it "right", the slide rattled it's ass off if you jiggled it while walking etc. I learned to hold it a certain way to prevent that if I was in stealth mode.

Captain
08-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Sorry, traveling and not much play time to post. I've worked on a bunch of 760, 7600, 742, and 7400's. Provided the chamber is cleaned and no one has monkeyed with the feed ramp with a dremel tool my guess would be the ammo and bullet type causing your problem. If you are handloading the overall length is critical for pump and semi auto rifles. With a bolt you can get away with "necking out" the bullet.
Also bullet type will cause these problem. Some spire point bullets will cause a problem but the round nose will feed all day! This would be my guess if it is factory loads.
Again if handloading the bullet, being too short overall will cause it to hit the feed ramp later in the cycle and turn the nose up.
It is possible to polish the feed ramp and adjust the angle to correct these issues but you really need to take it to someone that works on them. It is easy to get the feed ramp off and ruin the rifle. The ramp and chamber must align without any gap or hump....
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
08-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Hahahaa.....as long as some idjit with a dremel tool.......got that one right away!
BKB

Captain
08-25-2013, 11:11 AM
I did not say that....
A Dremel tool is what you use to polish and adjust the feed ramp. All I said was that it needs to be done by someone that knows what they are doing. Cause when you polish the ramp you are also adjusting the angle which can have bad results if not done correctly. The ramp is part of the main frame and there is no building it back up if its cut wrong or on the wrong angle. It has to marry perfectly with the throat of the chamber or feeding problems will happen.
Take Care, Captain

Arty
08-25-2013, 08:04 PM
Cappy. So what you're saying is, I should have it with my on the weekend of October 12th?
I mean, just in case I run into someone that knows what they are talking about...

Captain
08-26-2013, 07:56 AM
Oh yea. Bring it along and we will have a look at it.

Gunther
08-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Let's see here. How many feed ramps and such have I needed to polish on various Rugers, Winchesters, Mausers, Springfields, Kimbers, CZs, Savages, and the like?

Ahhhhhh, ZERO. Guess that proves remmytombs are made gooder than anything else!:poke

Thumper
08-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Let's see here. How many feed ramps and such have I needed to polish on various Rugers, Winchesters, Mausers, Springfields, Kimbers, CZs, Savages, and the like?

Ahhhhhh, ZERO. Guess that proves remmytombs are made gooder than anything else!:poke

.... and you drive a WHAT??? :poke :poke :poke :lmao

Arty
08-27-2013, 08:57 PM
BAM!

Arty
08-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Oh by the way.. It was the magazine. Very worn. A new one came in the mail Monday and its flawless!

Gunther
08-29-2013, 02:08 PM
.... and you drive a WHAT??? :poke :poke :poke :lmao

An ambulance. Got a problem with that?

Buckrub
08-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Man, I do. Man, do I ever. Yes sir. I do. Very much.