PDA

View Full Version : Don't blame 'em.

Buckrub
08-27-2013, 07:03 PM
And I bet she never, ever, not even once, eats it either.........

I know I wouldn't.

http://news.yahoo.com/kentucky-students-first-lady-michelle-obama-food-tastes-131827085.html

Thumper
08-27-2013, 07:34 PM
I still remember the head of the lunchroom (no clue what her title was) when I was in elementary school. Her name was Mrs. Bradshaw. Dang, her lunches were as good as anything you'd ever find at a decent restaurant in town. I'm sure they were full of fat because they TASTED good. BUT .... at "recess" we played ball ... dodge ball, softball, flag football, volleyball, basketball ... something where we actually had to MOVE and run ... we used to call it exercise!

And guess what? We also walked or rode our bikes to school ... AND back home again! Then when we got home, we couldn't wait to run in the house, change out of our school clothes and go outside to ride our bikes, or skateboards, play ball or just run around or climb trees.

Nowadays, kids simply sit their fat asses on the couch and play video games inside in the air-conditioning. It ain't the school lunches makin' 'em fat!

Buckrub
08-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Same here man. I can still see and taste those big homemade rolls those "obese" lunchroom ladies made. Real butter. Real food. Real good.

Arty
08-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Not that I'm one to talk.... But parents aren't doing much in the way of educating kids to eat smart.
Me included some of the time.

HideHunter
08-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Me too.. All our "lunch ladies" were someone's Grandma.. and they cooked like it. But it should have been good... cost 35 cents. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-28-2013, 09:15 AM
2 cents for a carton of cold milk too. amazing. My favorite was always the turkey and dressing with the green gravy. I still don't know how they made that gravy or why it was green, but it was sure good. Turkey ala king I think it was called. I always got seconds.

I think the cafeterias of our days was a bit different than the ones our kids ate in though. I think most of my kids grew up eating a slice of pizza every day for lunch. I hardly ever remember us having french fries at school. Hell, they had a burger bar at my kid's school.

And guess what? They still complained about it. Some things never change.

BKB

Thumper
08-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I saw that on the news this morning ... they were talking about the "old" lunches and showed a slice of pizza and French fries (is the word "French" capitalized in French fries?). I never remember that as a kid ... but our lunches were good. Same as P-hole said ... I think all the "lunch ladies" were someone's mom or grandma. 'Course, I suppose that goes for today's "lunch ladies" too, but it just seems different somehow.

My favorite was Sheppard's Pie. Baked casserole of ground beef/onions, covered with a layer of smashed 'taters and melted cheese on top. Man-o-man that was good! In fact, when I was going for my cooking merit badge in scouts, I had to cook a meal for the whole troop. I went to Mrs. Bradshaw, told her how many guys I had to cook for and she hand wrote a recipe for me. I have no clue how I did it with a frigging campfire, but it turned out great and I got the merit badge!

Oh yeah, I remember our school lunches were a quarter which included a small cardboard cup of ice cream and a little wooden spoon!

BarryBobPosthole
08-28-2013, 11:08 AM
I used to make that for my kids when we'd have the right leftovers in the fridge. Only we called it 'hobo pizza'.

BKB

Big Muddy
08-28-2013, 01:36 PM
My lunchroom lady lived up the gravel road from us....don't know how she did all that she did....lunchroom lady, school bus driver, professional seamstress, cared for a huge garden, helped milk her husband's dairy cows---twice a day, and raised four of the best and funniest boys you ever wanna meet....and, she practically, raised me, too, because I stayed at their house 95% of the time.

Stories for another day about me and those boys back in the '50s/'60s: burned down their dad's haybarn----sewed up a bone-deep gash in the thigh, without parents ever knowing----found out what a high pressure washer will do to a teenage boy's butt....not mine, I was an innocent bystander----I could go on and on. ;)