PDA

View Full Version : Guru question....

Big Muddy
08-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Most of you know Google bought out my Dishnet email service, so I had to change my email addy over to Gmail....so, I need to change my default email server on my pc.

How do I change it over to make Gmail my new default email???

Explain it to me REAL slow....I don't read real fast. ;)

Niner
08-29-2013, 10:20 AM
#1: Do you have Outlook?
#2: If the answer to #1 is "no", then do you have Outlook Express?

Need to know before proceeding with answers.

Big Muddy
08-29-2013, 10:28 AM
No and no....

Niner
08-29-2013, 01:33 PM
You should have Outlook Express......I believe it is part of Windows.

If not.......what, if any, email software are you using?

BarryBobPosthole
08-29-2013, 01:42 PM

Big Muddy
08-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Prior to switching to gmail, I was using the old Netscape for years.

Buckrub
08-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Netscape is a browser. Gmail is an account.

What software do you click on to open when you want to read your inbox??? What program do you open to read email??? It doesn't matter which one you use (Dang, man, I HOPE it ain't one of those awful Outlook ones, but hey, they work for some people)..........you can use anything. I use Thunderbird.

Whichever program you use (Thunderbird, Outlook, Outlook Express, etc), you simply open it, go to the ACCOUNTS option/section and tell it where your email is coming from and going to..........in your case Gmail.

Big Muddy
08-29-2013, 02:58 PM
It may be a browser, too, and it may be called something else, now, but I had Netscape email....at least, my pc guy downloaded it on my pc, as such....used it for many years....whatever.

Anyway, to read email, I click on my google gmail acct....also, I can easily send an email from there, too....no problem with that.

My problem is, when I am browsing, and want to copy/paste something from a site to be emailed, it directs me to my old Netscape(or whatever)email account....it does not open or direct me to my gmail acct.

Buckrub
08-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Ah. So here is what you did.........before:

You used "internet mail". You went THROUGH a browser to connect to the inbox of your email account. I can do that too when traveling (but there's no reason to).

Here's what I suggest. You can ask a GURU here if you want. I know, I'm an idiot.

Go download Mozilla Thunderbird. Do not attempt to ever use any Microsoft product if it can be avoided. Trouble lies in that direction. Open Thunderbird and go to ACCOUNTS and put in the required information about your GMAIL account. Make it your default Email account. Then open Thunderbird and read email, and write email, and live happily.

Big Muddy
08-29-2013, 06:08 PM
I guess I don't understand "why" I've got to download anything else....why can't I just, somehow, make gmail my default email server???.

I was thinking there was a setting somewhere on my pc to do that without having to download anything else.

Niner
08-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Thunderbird is not all bad. I used it for a spell, and in the long run just did not care for it. It is well worth the price of the download, and better than nothing at all.

Niner
08-29-2013, 06:32 PM
Ed, that is because Gmail lives on the Internet and is "webmail".

LJ3
08-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Eddie, you may need to change the way you access your email but it won't be a huge departure from what you do now.

Start your browser, whichever one you use to come to goodhunting (IE, Firefox or Chrome)
copy and past this link in to your browser mail.google.com
That will take you to the gmail login page.
Sign in
Once you're signed in, set a bookmark and that's all you ever have to do to get to your email.

Big Muddy
08-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Len, that's exactly what I do, now....I have no problem at all "getting" or "sending" my mail, as long as I'm on my gmail screen.
That's not my problem.

My problem is this:

Let's say I'm surfing the web, and find an article I want to email to a friend....when I highlight the article, and click on "send by email", the old Dishmail screen sheeit, which is no longer in existence, comes up on my screen, instead of my gmail screen.
I just want to be directed to my gmail screen.

LJ3
08-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Here you go. You need to install the gmail notifier.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/10966?hl=en (http://support.google.com/mail/answer/10966?hl=en)

Big Muddy
08-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Okay, Len, the notifier works pretty good.....I'll have to play with it and get used to it.

However, when I want to send a pic, the Outlook email screen pops up....I have no problem with that, but where the h3ll is the "send" button!!!

Big Muddy
08-30-2013, 03:50 PM
BTW, have you ever seen a message like this pop up on your screen???

"""The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display.
Please change your input timing to 1920 x 1080 @60 hz or any other monitor listing,
as per the monitor specifications."""

Niner
08-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Hey!!! YOU SAID YOU DID NOT HAVE OUTLOOK!!!

:thwak

Big Muddy
08-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Hey!!! YOU SAID YOU DID NOT HAVE OUTLOOK!!!

:thwak

well, the day'um Outlook screen popped up outta nowhere, after I downloaded the gmail notifier.....it pops up only when I wanna email a pic.

I got some weird sheeit going on my pc, today!!!

Niner, after closer look, this is a Microsoft Outlook screen, NOT Outlook Express....are they the same thing???

Big Muddy
08-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Your Internet server is getting even with you eddie!!! Lol

Naw, I got their azz fixed....this is just a minor email hiccup....nothing I can't deal with. ;)

Big Muddy
08-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Hey, you got your own problems....old-guy lurkers, peeking up your dress!!! ;)

Big Muddy
08-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Niner, after closer look, this is a Microsoft Outlook screen, that's popping up, NOT Outlook Express....anyway, it is a screen for emailing stuff....are they the same thing???

Sorta lost with this.

Big Muddy
08-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Na I extended a "Hi"! If they don't want to return the curtsy, there's nothing more I can do. :(

Hey, if ya got it, flaunt it!!! ;)