PDA

View Full Version : The most fun part of traveling ... (mini-trip report)

Thumper
09-01-2013, 04:08 PM
This little road trip is a "wing-it" affair. We have no schedule or deadlines. We did hit the lost luggage place in Scottsboro, AL, but other than that, we're just driving the back roads of Alabama. We have no clue where we're going or where we'll end up. The fun part is stumbling upon little hole-in-the-wall places to eat. Today was no different. We were traveling down some narrow two-lane road and came upon a TINY place called Mary's BBQ. I swear every "local" in the area was there carrying out bags of food. Ok, if it's good enough for the locals ... it should be good enough for us! Lynn wanted ribs ... I'm a sammich eater. We pulled into the small gravel lot and parked under a big ol' shade tree next to a small spring coming down off the hill. They had picnic tables there by the stream and we decided to eat there.

Ok, we walk inside and to a little window to order. Lynn asks for spare ribs and they said they'd sold out already! Huh? They opened at 10:00 and we were there at 11:15. We were then told they'd sold 300 lbs. of spare ribs already and all they had left was "country style" ribs and pulled pork. WTF??? No prob. ... I was after the pulled pork anydamnway, but Lynn likes her spare ribs. She got the country style ribs and they were ... what do youse dufes say? Larrupin!? Here's the joint ....

Ok, I was curious. I wondered if this place even existed on the web, so I googled it. I ran across a blog by some "food writer" and he explains the place a little better than I could:

Mary's Pit Bar-B-Que

Gurley, Alabama

The building has two doors in the front. Back in 1958, when they opened Mary’s Pit Bar-B-Que in what was then the hamlet of Maysville, you would enter through the right door if the complexion of your skin was pale, and through the left door if it was not so pale. Since then, the left door has been blocked, so everybody uses the right door now, independently of their tan lines, but not much more seems to have changed there in over fifty years.

The actual “restaurant”, and I use this term rather loosely again, is a teeny room with a window in the back where you order and receive your meal, a small narrow counter next to it with six round, worn down bar-stools on metal poles (one of the seats is missing, though), the menu on a pin-board at the opposite wall, a white board with the daily specials on the small wall of the room, a pink trash can in one corner and a very low ceiling with lots of scribblings, cartoons and what I would call “country-graffiti”, on it.

Most of the folks who get their food here do it as take-out fare. And everybody seems to know each other, judging from the conversations I overheard when I was there – it seemed to me as if this place is the “original facebook”, where people from the neighborhood come together and just chat a little with each other face to face, while waiting for their pork sandwiches.

All in all it is a very homey atmosphere, but certainly you would not find “outsiders” like me and my wife there too often. They don’t have a web site, there is no sign on the nearest Highway, US 72, which is about four miles to the west, there is only word of mouth and the locals just simply know that Mary’s is there. So if you don’t have a friend from that area who tells you were to go, you certainly would just drive by the right exit on the Highway ignorantly on your way to or from Huntsville. This would be a real shame, because apart from the genuine and cozy atmosphere, you would miss out on great food.

The blog went on to describe the food they ate, so I'll skip that part. The whole time we were there, people were coming in and taking a bag of food home. I guess 99% of their business is "called in" and picked up as a "to-go" order. I guess that's how all the spare ribs sold out so early. We chatted with Mary (?) for a bit and I commented on the short hours she's open (according to the sign, 11:00 - 7:00 Thur - Sat ... and 11:00 - 4:00 on Sunday). She said the hours are simply "estimates" and that they normally close once they run out of food! Ha! Anyway, it's places like this that make traveling fun.

Here's Lynn washing her hands (after we ate) in the little stream that runs beside the place. When I told her to "smile", she pretended to be "drinking" instead of washing ... but it was refreshing. After we washed the BBQ sauce off our hands, we continued on down the road for a little more exploration. We're still not sure when we'll be heading home.

Captain
09-01-2013, 04:27 PM
You have a nose for eatin' joints...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
09-01-2013, 04:53 PM
How many pints of sides did you get Thumper? The usual Family Pack?
BKB

Thumper
09-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Hey!! Was that a veiled nose joke Cappy? ;)

Ha ha Postie! I just got a sammich and Lynn got a "dinner". A sammich is enough for me because I usually eat half of hers anydamnway. She NEVER finishes a full order. It works out pretty well for both of us that way.

I HATE chain restaurants and love to find little mom & pop joints like this. Sometimes we score a hit ... sometimes not, but it's fun to try different places like this. Judging by the bazillion cars and pick-ups piled into the little parking lot, we figured the place had "something" going for it. It was a steady stream of cars coming and going the whole time we were there. We didn't see ONE person eat there (besides us) ... it was totally carry-out while we were there.

We plan on finding a little catfish joint for supper tonight.

Captain
09-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Joke? ME? Never :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Niner
09-02-2013, 07:10 AM
Jim, I am REALLY GLAD to see that your healing has progressed enough to where y'all can get in the car and "hit the open road"!!!! It does my heart good and has me grinning from ear to ear.

I know what ya mean on the hole-in-the-wall places.
There are two that I love that come to mind that I frequent.
Both of them are in the little town of Franklin, GA.

One is a bBQ "shack" (almost literally).
100% takeout, as there is no inside except for the "kitchen".
ALL they sell is sammiches, Brunswick stew, chips, and tea. And it is all super good.

The other place is a Chinese take-out joint, ran by an Oriental couple. Really good food, and a lot of it. Killer hot wings too!

The surprising thing is that Franklin is literally a one-stoplight town AND the county seat.

Thumper
09-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Odd you should mention that Niner. Now that I think about it, Gurley didn't have a light ... just a 4-way stop in the center of town. We may have to check out Franklin our next trip through your area.

Buckrub
09-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Looks like a neat place.

Two writers for the state newspaper, about 2 years ago, did a long article on a 3 week trip they made throughout the state to eat at every one of the places in this state that looked exactly like that one, and write about its history. Very neat.

Thumper
09-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Today's stop ... heaps o'fried catfish, all the hushpuppies you can eat, all the fixin's. A local favorite way out in the middle of nowhere ... nothing but cow pastures and corn fields around there. Found it just past the railroad tracks right where the locals said we'd find it. Place has been there a bazillion years ... and looks it ... but great food! Madison, Alabama ....

Fancy interior ....

http://a4.urbancdn.com/w/s/7U/pJx1GI5iCWQ5pa-640m.jpg