PDA

View Full Version : Any good reads out there?

Chicken Dinner
09-04-2013, 08:05 AM
I've got some long flights coming up next week and am looking for something good to download to my Kindle app and need some recommendations.

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Haven't read anything new in a while. What are you looking for? Historical fiction? Non fiction? ROMANCE?

BKB

LJ3
09-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Revenge of the Tiger by a Russian Author, Heetor Titzoff.

Chicken Dinner
09-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Prolly fiction (or, at least historical fiction) as I'm still recovering from a long nonfiction binge.

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Hank, have you read the 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' trilogy? Good stuff.

In the historical fiction line, 'Peter Simple' by Frederick Marryat is a pretty good read, for something written a couple centuries ago.

And if you just wanna read a good old fashioned crime novel, anything in the Virgil Flowers Series by John Sandford would be at the top fo my list.

BKB

Buckrub
09-04-2013, 09:52 AM
I like to read. But I seldom read until deer season, and then I try to find a few books to take down there when the idiots watch "Dancing with the Stars" or some such on TV.

However, lately every fiction novel I can find is of the same identical genre.........."Harold Steele was determined to find his sister's killer. Little did he know where this trail would lead".

I'm tired of that drivel.

Where are the novels? Where's Sci Fi anymore? I want to read something.......and I don't want to read Editorial Political B/S, either.

Pick sumpin' for me.

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2013, 09:58 AM
I reread 'Ender's Game' recently. Good book. Its been a while, but I never get tired of reading the Frank Herbert Pandora series. Or at least that's what I call them. 'The Jesus Incident', 'The Lazarus Affair' and so on.

BKB

Buckrub
09-04-2013, 10:01 AM
I don't "re" read. Or "re" watch movies, etc.

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Ah. I forgot.
BKB

Egghead
09-04-2013, 10:45 AM
I'll throw it out there for ya Bucky, maybe you and I like similar reading. I like books that would equate to Bond movies or other action-adventure. I keep coming back to Louis L'Amour (the way he describes country I develop a solid mental picture, at least I think I am :)) and Clive Cussler (action adventure)...

Buckrub
09-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Careful, Egg. First time anyone ever said they were 'like me' in anything!!! :smile-new:

but I'll give 'em a look. I spend hours in Barnes and Nobles or whatever, and never can find what I want..........or rarely can.

Chicken Dinner
09-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Just saw a trailer for "Ender's Game". Evidently, the movie will be in theater's soon. Most of the fantasy or Sci Fi I read is stuff the kids are into so I can keep up.

quercus alba
09-04-2013, 01:05 PM
James Pattersons "2nd honeymoon", Preston and Childs "Relic" and anything by Robert B Parker

johnboy
09-04-2013, 01:30 PM
I've read a lot of books by SM Stirling and very much enjoyed them. If you like 'hard' SF with a touch of the mystical it might be worth giving it a try. The "Change Series" is a good start to his stuff.

http://smstirling.com/books/

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Johnboy have you read any of Neil Gaiman's stuff? You might like it. Some of it is too far out there but American Gods is a pretty good read.

BKB

Niner
09-04-2013, 02:51 PM
I never had to read it in school, so I recently checked out Orwell's "1984" from the local library. Believe it or not, I actually had to wait for a copy to be returned as there was a waiting list!

Funny thing now that I think about it. Most of the stuff I read lately are periodicals (magazines). I subscribe to several, and read most from cover to cover....American Rifleman, Handloader, Rifle, Georgia Outdoor News, Family Handyman, and QST.

Way back when I was in the service I read a LOT. Mostly paperbacks. I read the entire "GOR" series.... Mostly while waiting in the chow line! Wasn't uncommon to wait in line for an hour!!

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Tarnsman of Gor. Wow Niner. Its been a long time since I had daydreams of slave girls.

BKB

Niner
09-04-2013, 03:08 PM
"Tarnsmen" was one of the best!!
I remember there was a GOR movie that came out some years ago that sucked big time.

Read a bunch of the Conan books back then too, can't remember if I read them all, there was a lot of those.

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2013, 03:16 PM
The John Carter Barsoom Series is a great set of sci fi novels from back in the day too.

BKB

johnboy
09-04-2013, 04:14 PM
You know, I'm pretty sure I did read that but it was quite a while ago. I'm going to try to find it for a re-read and yes, I re-read a lot of books but only the good ones.

Buckrub
09-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Is there any point in my getting into this century, and finding books online??? Never did it, but not opposed, especially if I can get the Note III big screen soon.

BarryBobPosthole
09-05-2013, 10:19 AM
CD, here's a late off the wall suggestion for a good read on a long plane ride. 'Big Trouble' by Dave Barry.

BKB

Buckrub
09-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Dave has one of my favorite quotes about "organized protest marches".............

Chicken Dinner
09-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll hop over onto Kindle and see what I can find.