PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again

Captain
09-11-2013, 06:58 AM
Mrs. Lucky is back this morning for breakfast....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Captain
09-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Now this is cool....

Usually there are 6 to 10 squirrels hanging around the feeder. I noticed they all split really fast and all but one hauled ass. This one squirrel is down in a hole around a stump where the hog have rooted out corn and dug it out. He was sorta "trapped" the reason for the sudden scamper was a hawk swooped in on them. A minute later a second hawk joined him.
They cannot fly in and get the squirrel out of the "hole" because they would hit the stump and if the squirrel make a run in any direction they will nail his ass...
Here's a picture of one of the hawks standing guard on top of the feeder waiting on him try his luck. The other hawk is about 10 yards away in a tree about 15 feet off the ground.
I'm gonna sit here and watch this work out!
Sure wish I had a good movin' picture camera with me.
Take Care, Captain

Thumper
09-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Run Rocky, RUN! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-11-2013, 09:28 AM
I'm betting the squirrel lasts about five minutes before he decides to move. Unless he's smarter than the average squirrel, like Yogi is smarter than the average bear.

BKB

Captain
09-11-2013, 09:33 AM
That didn't take long. Had a Hen turkey coming in when the hawk in he tree flew down at the squirrel landing just beside the hole. The squirrel took off and when he did the hawk on the feeder nailed his ass just as he reached a tree. You would have thought the hawk knocked hisself out at the sound it made as he hit the squirrel and tree at the same time. Then The noise really started. The Hen started RAISIN' hell and the squirrel started squealing(but not long) and all the noise from them fighting on the ground was LOUD! Probably nothing will come this way the rest of the day!
Sure wish I had a video of that event.
Very neat.
Take Care, Captain

Niner
09-11-2013, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't fret none Cap'n. Deers hear that kindof stuff a lot more than you might think. I'll bet those hawks have learned there's an easy meal at that feeder.

Sure is neat to sit and watch nature at work, ain't it?

Big Skyz
09-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Very cool. I agree with Niner it won't scramble up there deer much. I can't tell you how often I've been calling coyotes with some gosh-awful sound and the deer don't even look up from eating...well not until a coyote shows up anyway. ;)

Thumper
09-11-2013, 01:34 PM
I used to hunt the woods of Ohio and there were oil wells scattered everywhere! They were on timers and I couldn't tell you how many times I'd be watching deer as those wells would suddenly crank up and start pumping. It wouldn't even faze those deer and there'd be no reaction whatsoever.

BarryBobPosthole
09-11-2013, 01:45 PM
When I first moved up to NE Oklahoma and had to hunt around all these damned pump jacks (I know....the sound of freedom), spending an entire day listening to those things is like chinese water torture. And its only since the price of il shot through the roof that they got electricity ran to them. Most were one cylinder natural gas engines that were obnoxious as hell.

BKB

Thumper
09-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Ha ha! Yep P-hole ... I had a stand close to one of those those things ... I swear it would sound like a shotgun going off ... then whir, whir, whir, whir ... then another shotgun blast ... whir, whir, whir ... etc. etc. The fact we had to hunt with shotguns up there made it kinda nice. If you shot at a deer and missed, they wouldn't budge. They were so accustomed to the sound you could line up for another shot!

Most were electric though and they'd piss me off when they'd crank up. I'd usually come out of my stand, flip the breaker off, get back in my stand and I'd turn the thing back on when I left in the evening. I hated being in the "quiet" deer woods and all of a sudden it'd sound like you were hunting beside a freeway!