PDA

View Full Version : So close

Bwana
09-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Looking outside my hotel window, this is what I see

Though not a fan of the big cities, would love to be able to take my wife to each of these, especially New York which has been a dream of hers for a LONG time.

Big Muddy
09-12-2013, 08:46 AM
I went to NY, once....nobody spoke English, so that was enough for me. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-12-2013, 08:46 AM
You must be in Hartford.

Go see Mark Twain's home. Right next door to Harriet Beecher Stowe's house.

Oops! Just remember you were asking about Providence a while back.
BKB

BarryBobPosthole
09-12-2013, 08:50 AM
I don't know of any songs about Rhode Island or I'd sing ya one. Only thing I now about RI is there's a red chicken named after it.

BKB

Bwana
09-12-2013, 09:07 AM
BBP - yep in Providence though currently in route to the Alden Hydraulics Laboratory in Holden, Mass. It is has been on operation since 1894.

BarryBobPosthole
09-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Wow. Coming from the west where everything is relatively newer, its really something to see all that stuff that is so old.

BKB

Thumper
09-12-2013, 09:28 AM
I lived just outside of Boston for 6-7 months and spent many of my weekends in the city. I also had a buddy from Brooklyn and spent quite a few weekends running around the Big Apple with him. Saw all the sites, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Empire State Building ... you name it, we went there. I have a pic of the World Trade Center (taken from the top of the Empire State Building) while it was still under construction. I think the North Tower was complete (?), but they were still working on the South Tower. Dang, it's been a lot of years. I did have a lot of fun ... not sure I'd want to live there.

If I was not in Boston or NYC, I was running around New England or Quebec. Man, you can drive for an hour up there and go through 6-7 states! Spent a lot of time on Cape Cod or Hampton Beach.

BarryBobPosthole
09-12-2013, 09:31 AM
They talk funny up there. I had a buddy in the Air Force that was from Rhode Island and I think my contribution to most of our conversations were 'HUH?'. That guy married a gal from England so she could stay in the US, was a totally platonic deal. They fell in love and ended up living together, just like in the movies.
BKB

Thumper
09-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Ha! Yeah, the accents took some getting used to. Also some of the lingo. I'd want to buy a sub for lunch and nobody knew what the hell I was talking about. It was always a Hoagie or a Grinder. (before the days of Subway) I finally learned "pok da' kah" meant "park the car".

Funny story .. the buddy I mentioned above, had lived in Brooklyn all his life and to top it off, was Italian (Phil Cappola). This ol' 19 year old Florida boy had a heck of a time understanding him most of the time. One night, a group of us were headed out to chase wimmins and do a bit of drinking. I hollered at Phil to come with us and he replied, "Mafunsalo". I thought it was some Italian word I didn't understand and prodded him to get off his ass and go with us. He again said, "Mafusalo ... mafunsalo"!! I FINALLY figured out he was telling me he was broke and couldn't afford to go with us! (Mafunsalo = My funds are low!) :D