PDA

View Full Version : TeeDub - sad news

johnboy
09-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Just spoke to Marg and The Dubber passed away 10 Sept., at home as he wanted. I was expecting this but I'm still in shock. He was one of the best friends I've ever had in my life. I don't know what else to say.

BarryBobPosthole
09-13-2013, 01:41 PM
John, I'm so sorry. I am so glad I got a chance to know him and spend some time with him. He is the kind of friend anyone would be lucky to have. I'm really glad he got to be at home with his family like he wanted to.

I wonder if some flowers or something from the people at Goodhunting would be appropriate at his service?

BKB

Captain
09-13-2013, 01:49 PM
So sorry to hear this johnboy, even when It's expected it's hard to handle.
I only spoke to the old Dubber a couple of times by phone but he was sure a joy to speak with.
He will surely be missed here.
Take care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

johnboy
09-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Barry, they are having a small service today so we probably missed that. I also feel like I should be doing something but I just don't know what. Think I'll have a pitcher or two of Rickard's Red (our favourite when we hit the bar) in memory of the old gaffer.

Big Muddy
09-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Never met T Dub, except here at GH, but he sounded like a heckuva nice guy.

My condolences and prayers go out to his family and friends.

BarryBobPosthole
09-13-2013, 01:59 PM
Barry, they are having a small service today so we probably missed that. I also feel like I should be doing something but I just don't know what. Think I'll have a pitcher or two of Rickard's Red (our favourite when we hit the bar) in memory of the old gaffer.

then I will do the same if I can find it at the liquor store his afternoon. If not, I'll hoist something!

BKB

HideHunter
09-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Condolences.. Sure enjoyed bantering with the old boy.. Godspeed old friend. You have a nice rest. I'll raise a glass.

Trav
09-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Prayers and condolences to all his friends and family.

jb
09-13-2013, 02:35 PM
Sad new for sure, he was a valued member here, we'll miss him.

Arty
09-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Rest in peace dubber

Thumper
09-13-2013, 02:54 PM
He called me on the 6th and we had a long talk. He passed away 4 days later. After I spoke to him, I e-mailed Barry and told him I had the feeling Terry called to say good-bye. I can't describe how much I liked that guy and he's been on my mind every minute of every day since I heard he was fighting that cancer.

Johnboy ... how is Marg holding up? I'm not really sure I want to call her right now. I'm sure she has enough on her plate.

This is so sad .... :(

Thumper
09-13-2013, 03:05 PM
I think maybe you've already been lifting a few P-hole ... looks like you double-clutched.

BarryBobPosthole
09-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Fixed it.

If anyone has Bucky's cell phone number, I'm sure he'd want to know. I don't think I have it.
BKB

Thumper
09-13-2013, 03:11 PM
I was just starting to text him.

Edit: Text sent...

Edit again ... just got a response from Bucky ... he got the message.

Bwana
09-13-2013, 03:38 PM
Sad news for sure & though I never met him in person I could tell by the twinkle in his eye, which was evident in nearly every picture he posted, that he had a great sense of humor.

Prayers to his family & friends.

Fido
09-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Man this hurts!!! Love ya "DUBBER"

Big Skyz
09-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Sad news and sorry to hear this. I'm sure he is in a lot less pain now and that does give me some comfort anyway.

LW
09-13-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm glad his battle is over and he is at peace now. Condolences to those of you that had the pleasure of knowing him personally. I will raise a glass tonight.

LJ3
09-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Damn, that's some sad news my friends. I'll miss him but know he's not gone, just in a better place.

Niner
09-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Man, this really hurts. I'm so sorry to see him go. My condolences and prayers go out to his family, and friends.

Hard to wrap my head around it, but one thing is for sure....Cancer SUCKS.

Rest in peace, Terry. We'll see you again on the other side.

DeputyDog
09-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Very sad news. My prayers and sympathy to his family and those of you here who were close to him.

Herb2
09-13-2013, 10:52 PM
This is so sad. Good bye, Terry; you may gone but not forgotten.

TXBert
09-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Tough news. Godspeed my friend.

Thumper
09-14-2013, 12:13 AM
Sunny, I don't know if you remember this or not, but in the "old days" ol' Dubber and I were here playing around late one night. Some new gal named Cheri dropped in for the first time and it was "game on"! We played around with you, did a lot of "flirting" and general fun-type messing around and it was just the three of us here fooling around until the wee hours of the morning (well, for this East coaster anyway). That was a LONG time ago ...

Thumper
09-14-2013, 12:44 AM
Yeah, those were the days when "imposters" were always messin' with us. Helen was a "left coaster" and always on late, so that's why we thought she was foolin' around with us. I forgot about Wild Thang ... I remember the moniker ... just don't remember who she was.

Thumper
09-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Oh yeah! THAT Wild Thang! Ummmm, yeah, she was wild alright! (and that's all I'll say about that!) ;)

(guess I forgot she dropped in here)

Chicken Dinner
09-14-2013, 08:21 AM
Godspeed Whiskey Jack.

Buckrub
09-15-2013, 06:38 PM
I just got in from camp. It's been a hard week, but just physically. Got Jim and Larke's texts and calls, and haven't stopped crying since.

I have met a ton of you guys. Some of you don't realize it, but you are my best friends. I know, that is crazy, cause I know it's not reciprocal, but you are. Larke has done me more favors than a man should do. Jim is there when I need someone. Barry was the first guy I called (not even my wife) when I got fired in 1997.

But Terry was...........just a great guy, a NICE GUY, and a friend. I talked to him and tried to get him to let me drive 4,800 frigging miles to see him, when I found out about this. He'd have none of it. No way he wanted to make a big deal of it. But I was ready to go. I've gone through this multiple times with family members. It's not easy. The ONLY DANG good thing about cancer is that it lets you sort of prepare. But you can't really.

I spent a week (or whatever it was) in Terry's house. Complete unknown, loudmouth Southern idiot, and he let me in. Took me fishing. Smiled at my foibles, and bragged on my fish. Did it again the next year.

I left him at the Edmonton Airport on September 10, 2011........Jim and Barry flew through Tulsa on one plane, Bob to Iowa, and me on another. Jim and Barry had a 'raghead happening' (sorry for the comment, deal with it). I remember getting to Little Rock at 10:25 p.m. on 09/10/11, and it was still 100 degrees. I didn't get to sleep till 1:00 a.m. Next day, all heck broke loose. Terry is indelibly etched in my memory for many reasons, but that was one.

I remember leaving Little Rock and it was 111 F. Then sitting on his deck in Stony Plains and at dark (about midnight or some danged weird time!!!!!) and the wind blowing through that big cedar tree and it was about 63 or so. I almost bought property there at that time. He was so good to us. Fishing with him in his boat, digging worms out of his crazy wormbed next to his house (newspaper, is that what he used??), injecting air into them with a syringe, of all things...

I remember looking on the wall of his garage as we were getting the boat out (the cars didn't fit, the boat did!!!), and asking "Terry what are those?".....and he said "Those are my retirement indicators. When I retire, I'm going to strap those on the top of my Jeep, and drive south. When I stop for gas and someone asks "What the **&& are those????", then I'm going to retire there".

They were snowshoes.

I know he didn't share my political philosophy. But he never argued with me. He never said an unkind word to me. Not once. He hinted a few times, in a jovial manner, the way only he could do. But he never got mad at me, like most folks do. Not once. Not even once.

And he still has my needle nose pliers. The ones I couldn't bring home because of the "new" airport rules that night. We emailed a few times about those, and he joked I'd have to come get them.

I hope you get to use them forever, Terry. I hope you're taking the hooks out of 30 lb. walleyes, wherever you are.

I will miss you terribly.

LJ3
09-15-2013, 09:44 PM
That was a nice post, Bill. I've been thinking about the Dubber quite a bit since he left. The more I think about him, the more things I remember about him. How nice he was for no other reason than just to be nice and caring. He sent me all kinds of emails when I had been thru some rough spots in life. He was a true friend. I hope his service was packed full of people who knew how kind he was.

Thumper
09-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Yep Bucky ... I got home in the wee hours of 9/11 and had the day off to recuperate. I woke up to the Twin Towers coverage and was glued to the tv the rest of the day. I remember ALL transportation was shut down and getting ANYWHERE was next to impossible ... I think even the borders were closed. I kept thinking if we'd all stayed one extra day, ol' Terry and Marg would have had a house full of "Yanks" for quite some time.

You left your needle-nosed pliers on his boat ... I left my favorite fishing hat. It was a running joke with us ... he REFUSED to send me my hat and always told me the only way I'd get it back was to come back up and go fishing with him again, then he'd let me have it.

Eight years and two months later I was in the hospital and came out of a coma ... that hat was sitting on my bed when I awoke. Lynn said Terry had sent it along with a small package of other odds and ends. There was a note for her to make sure I got that hat! Now it's sitting right here on a shelf next to my desk. I'd like to wear it if I ever go fishing again, but I'm a bit torn ... I'd hate to risk losing it.:(

LJ3
09-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Pretty sure TW would tell you to stop being a wuss and go fish with the hat!

BarryBobPosthole
09-16-2013, 12:42 PM
One of my favorite memories is when we were ice fishing. the ice shack was pretty much full of Kaspers, and The Supreme Dufus has a clamshell that was big enough for about one person. So Tee Dub and I drilled holes by the passenger and driver's side doors of the Blazer we'd rented, rolled the windows down a few inches and fished out the windows. We'd start the engine and heat it up when it got cold. Was actually pretty comfortable until Terry started farting. That was a damn fun trip.

BKB

Thumper
09-16-2013, 01:52 PM
El Supremo fell off the face of the earth didn't he? I met him in Minneapolis and we went up to Terry's together on my first trip. Someplace around here, I have a bunch of pictures of us fishing together. Whatever happened to that butthead?

Thumper
09-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Well dang! We've been talking about that trip and even throwing the date around, but it just now hit me. Dubber passed away exactly 12 years to the day that we all left his place on that last trip. Odd.

RIP Terry ...

Buckrub
09-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Wow.

um....

wow.

Captain
09-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Thumper I don't know if I ever told you this but when you were in the coma I talked several times to T-Dub. One call he mentioned your hat and said he would like to send it to you. So I gave him your address. Sure glad you "woke" up to see it
Our last conversation was maybe a year ago. It was about the Charlotte race in October. I told him I'd hook him up proper if he would come out this year to the race. I could tell he really wanted to! Around the first of the year i asked a friend to earmark me 4 tickets and pit passes, parking etc in case it could happen. I felt like I needed to have them ready if he got where he could travel....
I gave them to Hammerhead this past weekend...
Sure would have like to bad the chance to shown him around and introduced him to some folks down this way.
We are all gonna miss him and those of you that actually got to fish with him I'm sure will miss him the most.
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Gunther
09-20-2013, 07:04 PM
never met him face to face but had many conversations with the Ol' Canuck at Goodhunting and at Mauserman's site. Probably had more in common with him than you southern boys for sure. He was great when we'd get in the lymeric mood. I remember one night when we were talking about having to "flush" the outhouse and for a prank you'd turn the stick upside down after you were done. I instantly knew that's where the saying came from. He thought yellow perch were better than trout, but hey, pobody's nerfect.

Godspeed Terry. See ya later.

Fido
10-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Your one great Canuck Dubber, will remember you in prayers always!