PDA

View Full Version : generator question

LW
09-14-2013, 09:17 PM
I just bought my kid a gigging boat and motor but it needs a generator. I don't want to drop the money on a honda like mine because I don't care if it is light or quiet for him and his buddies. I have been reading about this Champion brand that Cabelas and walmart carries. The reviews are good everywhere I read and the price is right. Anybody have any experience with them?

Thumper
09-15-2013, 07:44 AM
To answer your question ... nope.

Sure wish you were local though .... they're a dime a dozen down here. The Yankees move down from up north and have it in their mind they'll be dealing with hurricanes/power failures every other week. 90% of the estate sales I attend have a brand new generator sitting in the garage ... many times still crated up. I've thought of buying one a bazillion times, but in the 24+ years I've been in this house, I'd have needed one ONCE (for 1 1/2 days). I think, in my case, it'd be cheaper to rent one.

Hope somebody here has some input. All I can add is my personal experience (with small engines) that may help ... or not. You say you don't want to spring for a Honda, BUT ... when I started my business back in '89 ... I had 5 pumps working on a daily basis. I went through every motor available ... I had Briggs, Tecumseh, Clinton, Robbins ... you name it, I used it. I ran some pretty heavy hours and would normally have to rebuild (or replace) the engines on a yearly basis. I noticed the ONLY one that never broke down (or wore out) was a Honda (I ran nothing but 10 - 13 hp). Around '92 (I think), I switched to 100% Honda in my "fleet" of six pumps, five "workers" and a "floater" (to use when one was down for service/maintenance). I never ONCE ... EVER ... wore one out or blew one up ... after a bazillion hours (I had contracts that required work availability 24/7) on a machine, I'd usually trade them only because they'd start "looking" kind'a raggedy and I wanted to keep a professional appearance for the customer (new trucks/equipment).

On another note, years ago, the Chinese came out with a Honda knock-off. (I see them EVERYWHERE now) It looks like an exact duplicate of the Honda, right down to the color. It simply has no Honda decals on it. (note: I've read there are now "fake" Chinese generators floating around with Honda decals) The guy who custom built my pumps for me decided to try one out for his lower cost line of pumps. His distributor gave him one to test. He cranked it up, added a VERY light load and left it running. It was so long ago, I honestly don't remember how long it ran, but it was a relatively short period (a day ... day and a half maybe?). He nixed the idea and gave the basket case back to his distributor. He used Briggs on his low-end pumps.

As for generators themselves ... I have zero experience ... only the motors. For light, occasional use ... I suppose the non-Hondas are all about the same. Kinda like comparing Fords/Chevies/Dodges to Toyotas! (sorry, I can't help myself sometimes!) :D

That said ... I may still be living in the Dark Ages as I've had no recent experience and I believe the Chinese "crap" has improved a lot in the past few years. Heck, I remember many years ago, anything that said "Made in Japan" was considered a "cheap pos". I do remember reading somewhere that many of the Chinese models either went down the tubes or stepped up their quality due to the new emissions standards for small engines the EPA came out with a while back. Like you, I've heard nothing negative about the Champion generators. I researched them a bit fairly recently as I helped my uncle replace his Onan with one just before he sold his motorhome. (the Onan was totally FUBAR) In my research, they sounded like a decent unit. (It's an American owned company, but the product is made in China)

Niner
09-15-2013, 07:51 AM
I have NO experience with the Champion brand. I would suspect they are a lot better than the ones that Harbor Freight carries. :wink-new:

That said, what KW (power) size are you looking at?
Here's an online calculator. Plug in the voltage you need (probably 120), and what current level you'll need it to produce (20Amps?....30Amps?). It'll tell you how "big" of a generator you'll need to get.
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-ohm.htm

Of course, you might already know that. Just trying to be helpful. :wavey

LW
09-15-2013, 11:53 AM
I am looking for about a 1200-1500 size. Just enough to run 2 floodlights and an electric filet knife.

BarryBobPosthole
09-15-2013, 12:46 PM
I have a little Coleman 1000 W portables that'd be good for a boat. Its had a lot of hours put on it by various folks back during the ice storm. I won't say they are the best generator out there, but at around a hunnerd bucks, I think they're a pretty good value. You could spend twice that for a good one and it'll still get knocked around in the boat and likely perform about like the Coleman.

BKB