PDA

View Full Version : Well, we can now hunt pythons here ... why not monkeys?

Thumper
09-16-2013, 10:13 AM
http://www.takepart.com/sites/default/files/170119980.jpg

Herpes-Infected Monkeys Invade Florida

Originally brought to the state as a tourist attraction, the wild Rhesus monkey may now pose a health hazard.

September 15, 2013
Andri Antoniades

If any state in the union best represents the dangers of invasive species, it's Florida. The Sunshine State is home to what's been a raging Burmese python invasion for some decades. And its Cuban tree frog problem isn't doing the ecosystem any favors either.

But the state has a new issue: invasive monkeys—with herpes.

There are about 1,000 feral Rhesus monkeys living in Florida right now. Among those scooped up by wildlife officials over the years, most were found to be carriers of the Herpes B virus, and this week, the colony was declared a public health hazard.

It's believed a small handful of the wild animals originally landed in the state in the 1930s, courtesy of "Colonel" Tooey, a tour operator who wanted to give visitors a Tarzan-inspired experience of Florida's Silver River State Park.

Tooey reportedly kept the monkeys sequestered on an island, but they learned to swim to the shore, easily reaching the mainland, and moving out, putting down roots as far as Jacksonville, over a hundred miles away.

Herpes B doesn't cause serious symptoms in these particular animals, but in humans, it can lead to neurological impairment or fatal encephalomyelitis, an inflammation of the brain and spinal cord leading to death.

Florida's Rhesus monkeys are known to act aggressively towards people, and the state's Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, concerned the animals could spread their disease to humans or otherwise injure them, are warning tourists and natives to be aware and keep their distance.

BarryBobPosthole
09-16-2013, 10:26 AM
When I visited Silver Springs back in the 70's, the story was that the monkeys on that island were used in the filming of the Tarzan movies and had escaped. They also filmed the old Sea Hunt underwater scenes there.

BKB

Thumper
09-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Yep, been there a zillion times in my lifetime. Years ago, I heard the same story about the Tarzan connection. Actually, everyone used to say the Tarzan movies were all filmed down here, but 99.9% of the filming was done in California around good ol' Hollywood. I think they filmed a few underwater scenes for one movie at Silver Springs and some more for another film at another site in the panhandle ... but I think that was it.

I don't think they really needed monkeys for those underwater scenes ... but it made a good story for the tourists. :D

Sea Hunt was one of my all-time favorite shows as a kid. I think it came on every Sunday night and I watched it religiously. One night I refused to eat the serving of mixed vegetables on my plate at supper (those things gagged me!) and my mom told me if I didn't eat them, I couldn't watch Sea Hunt. I sat at that table for about 2 hours refusing to eat that crap. I missed Sea Hunt, so I packed a bag and told my mom I was "running away". It was POURING rain outside, so I never made it past the front porch ... but sat waiting for mom to come beg me to "come back home". I waited ... and waited ... and waited. FINALLY, the front door opened and my mom stepped out onto the porch. I KNEW she'd come out to beg my forgiveness ... but all she did was hand me a pair of socks and told me I dropped them in the living room on my way out. Then she turned, walked back in the house and closed the door behind her! I gave up on the running away idea and went back to my room and pouted until I fell asleep. (one of those stupid memories that is forever etched into my haid!)

BarryBobPosthole
09-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Maureen O'Sullivan is still my favorite Jane. Bo Derek made an awesome Jane but Maureen was still in my fantasies more than Bo Derek ever could be. Plus she was a helluva swimmer and got along with Cheeta better.

BKB

Thumper
09-16-2013, 11:21 AM
I had that ol' Bo Derek poster from the movie "10" ... yep, I think she was in my fantasies as well! ;)

You're right ... there was only "one" Jane IMHO.

Thumper
09-16-2013, 11:26 AM
I had to dig it up for old times sake. I wonder whatever happened to my old poster?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/07/30/article-2381264-1B104B0C000005DC-77_306x557.jpg

Big Muddy
09-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Two words....camel toe. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Sophia is still my all time favorite though. Prettiest woman on the planet in her day.
BKB

From 'Boy on a Dolphin'

Thumper
09-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Yep, that was a good one. As for movie posters ... I used to cream my jeans over Raquel in 1 Million Years BC!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/de10533f44aa284a3d308b28900dbd27/tumblr_mfnvw70PYD1rmt3sfo1_400.jpg

BarryBobPosthole
09-16-2013, 12:32 PM
And just to keep things on topic, I'd be on her like a python on a monkey.

BKB

Thumper
09-16-2013, 12:33 PM
And if I dropped my drawers .... she'd think she was LOOKING at a python! :D

LJ3
09-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Annnnddddd, thread death.

BarryBobPosthole
09-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Yep, its been Thumpeckered.

BKB

Thumper