PDA

View Full Version : Beacause we don't have a fishing forum..

HideHunter
09-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Fished in The Iowa State Catfish Championship tournament this weekend:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3684/9780240436_db670a45d0_z.jpg

This is a kid I kind of gave a leg-up in competitive catfishing. Now - I'm the student. I tell him, "Don't forget. I fished with your granddad before you were born." :headbang Took 6th place in some tough conditions against some serious talent. Something like 4# separated 2nd and 7th. Almost paid our expenses. ;)

Started harvest today. See you in 6 weeks. ;)

Buckrub
09-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Iowa has catfish?

wow. That's cool. Thought they'd freeze up there.

Seriously, congratulations.........I don't do "competition fishing", cause I don't quit on time usually.......but hey, whatever blows your skirt up!

oh.........and is that a 'grin' or a 'grimace'?? Sorta hard to tell........:)

Bwana
09-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Congrats to you HH!

Question for you regarding harvest, what are you combining at this time, soybeans? It seems a bit early for corn but then again they probably get in the field a bit earlier down there then we do too. Either way, be sure to keep that .223 handy while roaming the field just in case you see a critter that needs shooting.

Captain
09-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Congrats for sure. I bet that was a BALL!

Bwana Soybeans? What? Ours are not even ready to pick yet. Do y'all plant earlier than us on beans. We cut winter wheat and plant bean or corn in the spring. We been cutting corn for several weeks now. Beans are still several weeks out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
09-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Those don't look like noodling clothes to me.

BKB

Captain
09-17-2013, 04:35 PM
No but he has his shades on...

He's been watching the Len Jenkins fishing show too much. :D
Just sayin'

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Bwana
09-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Cappy-soybeans are still a couple of weeks away here too, but then again so is our corn.

Buckrub
09-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Cappy.........uh........the growing season up nawth is WAY faster than ours. Otherwise, they'd starve. :)

DeputyDog
09-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Don't know about where HideHunter is, but the beans aren't ready here yet. At least another 6 weeks until the corn is ready to shell. If it's a dry fall, it's usually the end of October before they start shelling the corn. Lot's of time, the corn is still standing during deer season which starts the middle of November. They are just really starting to chop corn now for silage.

HideHunter
09-18-2013, 09:02 AM
Two days in the bag.. About half our crew had commitments today so I get an unusual day off. We're picking corn on the light ground right now. We had good rain this spring and then nothing, so the corn on the sand matured a little early. We're all over the place on crops here.. some corn is still green as a gourd and some (like we're picking now) needs to come out before it starts to go down. Testing 13 to 15 right out of the field. There have been a few beans combined and bil thinks we may have a couple hundred acres getting close.. Anyway - a couple hundred acres out and a few thousand to go.

I fished the "Pro Series" when it was it's infancy (Cattracker team for any of you who use dip bait). Haven't for a number of years. This kid was winning all the local stuff and wanted in bad. I kind of got him in with a couple sponsors and now he's fishing both Bass Pro and Cabela's tourneys. Been doing a lot of blue cat fishing. Took fourth in a tourney at Santee Cooper a couple weeks ago.