PDA

View Full Version : What I did on my summer vacation

Buckrub
09-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Some vacation.

Spent 10 days or so at camp for first work week. We bush hogged all the shooting lanes, at least we did........until the wheel on Joe's tractor almost fell off. We had already spent 1/2 day in town getting the bush hog wheel frame welded back together. Too many trees!!! :) But the wheel was over our pay grade.

Then last Saturday and Sunday, the 'young' guys that were supposed to show up, didn't of course. They had football tickets and probably an opera to go to. Something..... I don't know what. So the three oldest guys in the camp cut all this firewood (yes, me included....I did about 40% of this):

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/Hunting%20Album/Wood2013_zpsfb6a2e98.jpeg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/Hunting%20Album/Wood2013_zpsfb6a2e98.jpeg.html)

Couple of guys split it. Liked to have killed me.

Then I climbed up my favorite stand........"The Hilton". OOOPs. Rickety!! Looked it over, the legs were split and cracking, the supports were gone.....I got two other opinions, both of which were "I ain't getting up THAT thing!!!"......and I decided that this great wooden stand, built since 1995, had seen its better days.

So, I went to town while I had a big trailer and got this one:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/Hunting%20Album/Ritz2013_zps596705d5.jpeg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/Hunting%20Album/Ritz2013_zps596705d5.jpeg.html)

We put it up while I had help. 4 X 6 (you're looking at the 4 foot wide side)........ now called "The Ritz Carlton".

No time to do the sides, just barely had time to put in floor and roof. Will level, stabilize, and put up sides when we go back the 27th to plant food plots.

Bwana
09-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Looks like a fine stand and apparently you folks don't have any wind down your way as up here that sucker would blow over in short order if it wasn't anchored down.

Hope you kill a monster from it this fall.

BarryBobPosthole
09-17-2013, 11:36 AM
When does the satellite dish get installed? (and that's one that goes WAAAAAAY back)

BKB

Thumper
09-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Bwana, I'm "sure" he'll anchor that one also ... it's pretty well standard procedure as far as I know. Right Bucky? Bucky? BUCKY???!!!;)

And what's with the title to this post anydamnway? Aren't you on PERMANENT vacation?

BarryBobPosthole
09-17-2013, 11:44 AM
I was thinking the first time he climbed up in it and the legs sunk a foot into the ground that would be anchoring it wouldn't it?

BKB

Buckrub
09-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Already been in it. Legs didn't sink. Bite me.

Headed to a "high school reunion" type lunch. Already been to Lowe's, they don't have a turnbuckle big enough. Headed to TSC to see if they do. Then about 4 lengths of chain, some quickrete, and a bunch of work, and voila. Dang thing isn't even level yet, although it's danged close just by luck.

The old stand was strapped to that little tree back behind. I moved it a bit to take better advantage of existing shooting lanes.

Takes time to build a Ritz Carlton.......

Captain
09-17-2013, 12:25 PM
You hypocrite!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

quercus alba
09-17-2013, 12:40 PM
My lease is 5 minutes from the house. in bed every night with mama, tv, air conditioning, heat. All the comforts of home. Hunt out of a ground blind, iffn' I fall out of my seat it ain't but about 18 inches. Don't chop no fire wood nor smell like smoke.
five more minute drive and my buddy has a camp with a winch and skinning rack, water hose and a place to dump the guts and hide. No need to complicate things.

Life is good

LJ3
09-17-2013, 01:47 PM
What I did on my summer vacation
The first day on my vacation, I woke up
Then I went downtown to look for a job
Then I hung out in front of the drugstore

The second day on my summer vacation, I woke up
Then I hung out in front of the drugstore
The third day on my summer vacation, I woke up

(Now that's fine, young man)
(That's fine, young man)
Then I got a job
(Young man, young man, young man)
Keeping people from hanging out in front of the drugstore
The fourth day on my

Shut up!
Thank you

Big Muddy
09-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Bucknell, just a suggestion for you....I built a couple of stands just like that one of yours, and I didn't use the standard chain and turnbuckle set-up, which is more expensive, and a pain in the azz, and tends to loosen up over time.

I used 8 pieces of 3/4 inch re-bar about 3 1/2 feet long, with a crook on one end....shaped like a shepherd's crook....simply hammer 2 of them into the ground on each corner of your stand, allowing the crook to fit over that horizontal metal brace on the bottom of the stand....you should be able to install all 8 of them in about 15 minutes with a good sledge hammer.

I've never had any of my stands blow over....and, they are not in the woods....they're totally exposed to the wind, over-looking soybean and wheat fields.

DeputyDog
09-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Len....Nice and obscure! :notworthy

Thumper
09-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Yeppers ... reminds me of my "stoner days"! ;)

Now class, I have a surprise for you! I'm going to read you some poems out of this lovely book of poetry. The sun kisses the morning skies. The birds kiss the butterflies. The dew kisses the morning grass.

Class? Class!? Cla-- WAKE UP!!!!! :D

Buckrub
09-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Ed, you're a genius.

If I only hadn't already bought the turnbuckle.....:(

BarryBobPosthole
09-17-2013, 05:18 PM
You know this since you live in that part of the country, but I'd spray that woodpile down good with some insecticide before deer season. Otherwise you'll be fighting yellow jackets and scorpions and spiders and stuff.

BKB

Buckrub
09-17-2013, 07:01 PM
I've lost one stand, I guess, to those big 'orange' red wasps. I sprayed, hundreds upon hundreds came out. I had to jump out. But can't get to them, have to shimmy the tree from the back with a 'bug bomb' in one hand, and those days are OVER.

Woodpile concerns me more with snakes....... But by the time we need wood, most critters are gone......usually up under our house or in the attic!! :)

And QA, I tried a ground blind once, with a crossbow. No more. I can't see out of 'em. Sorta like huntin' out of one of Cappy's Coffins. I gots too much of that Claustrophobia Stuff.

Oh......speaking of........why am I a hypocrite???

BarryBobPosthole
09-17-2013, 07:08 PM
I used to have a crazy mailman. One day I got off early to go to the eye doctor and checked the mail on my way outthe door. My neighbor's mail was in my box so I stopped when I went by and stuck his mail in his box. One or two ofthose big orange waspers stung my three times on my two middle fingers. Talk about hurt all I could think of was how good it was going to feel when it stopped hurtimg. I smoked then so I just made a quick tobacco poultice and went on to the eye doc. She about fainted when she saw my hand. It was avout half again its normal size and I am not allergic to wasps or bees. They just nailed me that hard. I guess the crazy fucking mailman got his wish as I bombed my neighbors box with wasp killer and told him about it. Sure pissed me off though.
Those orange wasps are mean. Like honey badgers with wings.

BKB

Captain
09-17-2013, 08:44 PM
"Oh......speaking of........why am I a hypocrite???"

Well for starters when you hunted my place every day at least once you would tell me you would NEVER hunt a stand with a top on it EVER! You said you would take a chainsaw and cut every stand I had off at window level so you could stand and hunt. You told me you would never sit in a stand you always stood the whole time you hunt. This was not just a one time comment you told me this at least once each day as you hunted. I told you the enclosed stands with a top were nice in bad weather and the top really help keep you dry. You said "I'd quit hunting before I'd build a stand with a top on it." I heard "I'd take a chainsaw and cut the tops off of every stand on this place" dozen times that week at least.
I see a top on your new stand...
There that's for starters. I could go on...

Buckrub
09-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Your memory is as short as............um............well, never mind.

I said I would not hunt a stand with upper sides on it. Every stand I EVER hunted in my entire life, except for ladder stands, have had a top. Keeps rain and mostly sun out.

It's that enclosed coffin feeling that I can't stand. In fact, what I remember saying is "I want to stick my head out the side and see the geese fly over".

So, you are not remembering this one right. Every stand I ever built has had a top. This one, if you look closely, has a double rail. That's so you can put sides up to the 38" mark shooting rail........then above that, put sides up to the top. That'd leave that little 'slot' all the way around to shoot out of, if you don't bang your gun against the side. I'll not be putting any "top sides" on this stand, or any other. I need to see geese. And birds. And hawks. And the sun. And stuff. And air.

But no top? I can't imagine. Never said it, cause I've put tops on my stands since 1972............. even have a picture of the one I built that year on my wall, and it has a top.

LJ3
09-17-2013, 09:20 PM
I'd like to take the stand wherever you were gonna put Bucky :)

Captain
09-17-2013, 09:27 PM
So Bucksnort you deny telling me a million times that week you would take a chainsaw and cut every stand I had off at window level.
I guess you also deny saying you NEVER sit while you hunt you always stand.
And if you deny saying either, you are the one with a fuck-up memory.
Believe me I heard it enough that week where it will never be forgotten. Sorta like where I was when Kennedy was shot and the planes hit the towers....

Captain
09-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Len, rifle season is in at the SC farm if you can take a day off from traffic control at the Drugstore come on down. :D

Buckrub
09-17-2013, 09:59 PM
I said I always stood up when IN A CLIMBER.

I said I would take a chainsaw (if they were mine) and cut the wood off at eye level, at window level. Sides, yes. Top, yes. But nothing between shooting rail and top. I'm way too claustrophobic for that.

Those are the things that I said. I couldn't have said I never sit in a box stand, cause I do. I couldn't have said I don't have tops on my stand, cause I always have had.

That's what I said. I don't know who remembers what. I know I can't remember my name half the time. I can't rely on my memory any more, and I know that. But the above is what I said.

And that's all I know, Harold.

Thumper
09-17-2013, 11:32 PM
Settle down ladies! ;)

Captain
09-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Your remember-er is as bad off,

But hey it's your lie tell it the way you want.
I know what was said.

Buckrub
09-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Didn't mean to offend. Just how I remember it. Can't imagine saying otherwise, but maybe I did. Don't want to get upset over it. My mind is mostly gone, so it's probably me that's wrong........

Put it this way.........the above is what I MEANT to say, and I probably said it all wrong back then. Again, my bad.

Thumper
09-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Ok you two ... don't make me take my belt off! ;)

Arty
09-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Make'm find and cut their own switch. That's always fun.

Buckrub
09-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Geez. I try to apologize and get in trouble for that@!!!! Ugh.

I used to make my middle daughter cut her own switch. And go back again and again till she got one firm enough.

Thumper
09-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Ha! Remember it well. Mom dished out most of the discipline at our house. We had a big ol' "switch bush" right outside the back door. She'd tell us to go get her a switch and it really didn't matter much ... they were ALL about the same. What really sucked is, growing up as a kid in Florida ... the uniform of the day was usually just a pair of thin shorts. OUCH!

I remember mom screwed up one day. I did something (who knows what?) to piss her off and she said, "Go get me something to beat you with!"

'Course I grabbed the newspaper, tore off a strip of paper and handed it to her! Uhhh, let's just say my "smart-assedness" didn't help my case any. DOUBLE OUCH!

Captain
09-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Your momma is to sweet to have ever whooped you!

Thumper
09-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Well, with THAT line of reasoning ... I'm too sweet to have ever NEEDED a whoopin'! :D

Captain
09-18-2013, 01:23 PM
AHhhhhhh, no