PDA

View Full Version : Buying US made stuff.....

Big Muddy
09-18-2013, 01:17 PM
I try to purchase US made products, when I can....didn't know this about bar codes.

It may not even be true, since I got it in a email.

Remember if the first 3 digits are:

890......MADE IN INDIA
690, 691, 692 ... then it is MADE IN CHINA
00 - 09 ... USA and CANADA
30 - 37 ... FRANCE
40 - 44 ... GERMANY
471 ........ Taiwan
45 or 49 ........JAPAN
489...........HONG KONG
50 .......... UK
57 .........DENMARK
64..........FINLAND
76.........SWITZERLAND and LIENCHTENSTIEN
471......... is Made in TAIWAN (see sample)
628.........SAUDI ARABIA
629.........UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
740..........745 - CENTRAL AMERICA
All 480 Codes are Made in the PHILIPPINES.

Thumper
09-18-2013, 01:22 PM
It may not even be true, since I got it in a email.

Well, THAT part of your post is true! It's 99.9% b/s ... even moreso in the U.S.

Ummm, question ... wouldn't it be easier to look for the "Made in ....." label? Just sayin'. ;)

Captain
09-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Because it might be the label that's made in the USA not the goods... ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
09-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Well, here ya' go ... decided to look it up ...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/barcodes.asp

Oh yeah ... go back to your stand Cappy! ;)

Buckrub
09-18-2013, 01:31 PM
We have a conundrum.

You have apparently somehow gotten a piece of valid information in an email. Clearly, this is impossible, but it occurred, so maybe we need Occam's Razor, or Swearingen's Cat, or something to figure this out. Not sure. My mind spins.........

http://www.food-info.net/uk/qa/qa-fp121.htm

Captain
09-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Oh yeah ... go back to your stand Cappy! ;)

In not hunting today or tomorrow. I'm busy shit-disturbin' for a couple of days. Ill be hunting Friday and Saturday and will post play by play at that time.

Thumper
09-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Well Buckster ... evidently you didn't follow the link I posted above.

As far as I can tell, the link YOU posted is a European website. Two different animals. The Snopes article explains that. Sheeesh, you can lead a horse to water, but .... ;)

Buckrub
09-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Oh sorry. I didn't realize that if it originated in Europe, it wasn't true.

OK, let me make sure.

If it comes in an email, it's false. Check.
If it did not originate in the USA, it's false. Check.
If Snopes says it's wrong, then by gosh it's wrong. Check.

OK, I'm square now.

Buckrub
09-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Guess you didn't read my link either.

Here's an excerpt for you.

Currently, the United States and Canada use UPC bar codes as their standard for retail labelling, whereas the rest of the world uses EAN. Since January 1, 2005 all retail scanning systems in the USA must be able to accept the EAN-13 symbol as well as the standard UPC-A. This change will eliminate the need for manufacturers who export goods to the US and Canada to double-label their products.

Thumper
09-18-2013, 02:05 PM
The first 3 numbers are the country/region where the barcode is ASSIGNED. If a load of bananas comes out of Possumtrot, Columbia and are sent to a packing house in Laredo, Texas to be crated and distributed ... the barcode will refer to Texas. READ the package and it will say "Product of Columbia".

Captain
09-18-2013, 02:08 PM
OK girls, play nice... :D

Buckrub
09-18-2013, 02:16 PM
OK, I'm prolly wrong.

BarryBobPosthole
09-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Everybody just calm the fuck down.

That said, we live in a global economy. I try to make purchases based on quality and value not necessarily in that order. I do try to buy most of my stuff in my hometown so at least the taxes I pay goes to the schools and whatnot in the place I live. But on just about any purchase over say, a hundred bucks, I'd still drive into town (Tulsa) if there was a better value there. About the only thing I turn my nose up at that's made overseas is when some AMERICAN company puts its name on a product made overseas and tries to impart value from their name only. That pisses me off and I've gotten caught in that trap more than once and it was all my damned fault for not looking closer at it.

That's why I drive a Chebby!

BKB

LJ3
09-18-2013, 02:18 PM
I've turned to google to solve this debate once and for all.

Click here (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=where+can+I+find+smarter+friends%3F) (it's safe, I Promise)

BarryBobPosthole
09-18-2013, 02:19 PM
That link is nekkid.

BKB

Thumper
09-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Ha ha! Touche' Cappy ... and bite me Lenster! ;)

What the heck does "Made in America" mean these days anydamnway? Heck, the "MOST" made in America automobile these days (2013) is the Ford Expedition. What "made in America" means is "assembled in America using American or Canadian made parts". The Expedition comes in at 80% American made. BUT ... so does the Toyota Avalon which is what Lynn drives (80%) ... slide a bit down the list and you have the good old "American" Ford F-150 (75%) ... but you also have the Toyota Camry (75%), Toyota Sienna (75%), Honda Crosstour (75%) and the Honda Odyssey (75%). Just food for thought. ;)

LJ3
09-18-2013, 02:27 PM
That link is nekkid.

BKB
Click the words that say "click here" oy....

DeputyDog
09-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Barry, My Chevy was made in Mexico.

Buckrub
09-18-2013, 02:28 PM
I don't care where it's made.

I care where the profit goes.

BarryBobPosthole
09-18-2013, 02:31 PM
It don't mean doodley squat for a lot of stuff. Prolly for most stuff. I'm all for supporting a guy that's trying to start a business and make it the right way and if I know about it and am in need of whatever he's selling, I'll go out of my way to support him by buying his product. That's not a political statement, that's a 'rewarding hard work' statement. But hard work can be done the right way anywhere, not just here. It is dismaying to think that American companies are competing with foreign companies that are wired for success by their governments. We do the same thing to at least a degree, but not nearly as much as some countries do. Look at the history of the sugar industry if you want some eye openers on free market economic policy. and that's just a drop in the bucket.
I really don't agree much with the 'buy American' movement.

BKB

LJ3
09-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Barry, My Chevy was made in Mexico.

That explains the fascination with Chebby's

BarryBobPosthole
09-18-2013, 02:33 PM
DD not sure what model you have but my 2000 Z71 was likely made in the US or Canada. Not sure if that's changed much since I bought it or not, but believe it or not, I asked.

BKB

Thumper
09-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Bucky,

I don't care where it's made.

I care where the profit goes.

Profit? What's that? Who knows where it goes? I thought the U.S. automakers were bailed out a few years back with MY money! Heck, maybe it goes to the union bosses. (?)

I'm out'ta here ... have to go see my doctor so she can tell me I'm fat. :(

LJ3
09-18-2013, 02:40 PM
You're fat. See how much gas money I just saved you?

Captain
09-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Man I figured this "buy American" would have smoked Sunny out... But Jim leaves to go see his doctor that is gonna tell him he is fat and the door closes on this place!
What-up wid dat?

Thumper
09-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Go get your stool Ticboy! You know the procedure .... ;)

Sheeesh, I come home and find everyone quit arguing. WTF is happening to this joint?

Guess what? My doc said I'm fat! Imagine that. Then she asked how my blood sugar readings were looking. Oooops ... I kinda quit checking about 5 months ago ... I guess deep down, I didn't want to know. Man-o-man did I get a major ass-chewing! Guess I need to stick my finger tonight. I ain't lookin' forward to the results. :(

Captain
09-18-2013, 06:09 PM
You can prick your finger..... But don't finger your prick! :D

Niner
09-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Jim, they gots meds to take care of that high sugar stuff.
I THINK they're made in the US.

Arty
09-18-2013, 06:42 PM
You can prick your finger..... But don't finger your prick! :D

Damn. Beat me to it.

Buckrub
09-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Two smart assed answers.......and Jimbo is silent.

I love it.

HideHunter
09-18-2013, 08:08 PM
I've turned to google to solve this debate once and for all.

Click here (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=where+can+I+find+smarter+friends%3F) (it's safe, I Promise)

lol.. absolutely *love* it! Good un.

Did I ever tell you guys (Thump Story).. I was guiding a retired FBI agent as part of my group at the Governor's Pheasant Hunt. He wanted the hat I was wearing and asked if I would trade. Looked at his FBI hat when I got home... "Made In Sri Lanka".

DeputyDog
09-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Barry, I have a 2003 Suburban.

Thumper
09-18-2013, 10:24 PM
Two smart assed answers.......and Jimbo is silent.

I love it.

Hey! I DO have a life you know! I had better things to do after I got home than hang out with youse degenerates.