PDA

View Full Version : generator update and sentimental thoughts

LW
09-18-2013, 07:49 PM
I received the champion generator today and it is as advertised. Light and quiet and 199.00 delivered to my door. Seems to be a good buy. So, today after receiving it, I took off from work and went and checked the boy out of school to work on the boat (or "appointment" as I put on the sign out form) and fabricate the sissy bar and light mounts. Anyway, when it came time for me to weld the parts together after Mason cut and fit them together (hey, it is his boat after all), I struck my first arc and QUICKLY noticed that the battery in my Miller hood was dead. Unfortunately, my speedglas hood head gear is broken. Now what? I looked up on the wall and there it was. My granddads old trusty welding hood. I hadnt used it in years. Been so long since I used a hood that wasnt an auto darkener that I wasnt sure that I could use it. Strangely enough, the batteries werent dead since it doesnt have batteries. Anyway, after completing the job, the boy and I set down and admired our work. We also had a priceless conversation about my granddad that was dead before my son was ever even thought about. Neat how after all these years, he still managed to help me out and help his great grandson get on the lake. We are going tonight.

Buckrub
09-18-2013, 08:00 PM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/Funny/Thread_Pix_zpsbf023dc4.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/Funny/Thread_Pix_zpsbf023dc4.jpg.html)

Captain
09-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Man that is great! Be sure to post some pictures. If we had a fishing forum that would be a good place. :D
GOOD LUCK!

I've had the same thing happen with the welding helment too! Of course I was welding before they made the new auto darkening. I still have a tendency to nod my head before I strike an arc and feel awful goofy when I've got a new Helment on doing that.
The youngins ask why do you nod you head like that. :D
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
09-18-2013, 08:30 PM
Funny how stuff sticks with you, Captain. i nod and say 'Cover!'. Don't know how not to.
BKB

Captain
09-18-2013, 08:33 PM
We would nod and say "strike"

Funny how I cannot quit doing that. And I weld a right smart too....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
09-18-2013, 09:58 PM
Its been years since I'e welded enough to stay good at it. I could lay downa good bead still, but would needto practice on anything not level. I can braze pretty good too, but couldn't sweat a copper pipe to savemy life. Soldering is just notmy cup of tea.

BKB

Thumper
09-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Heck, I still have the old style helmet. What's worse, I didn't even know they had the automatic, battery operated jobbies. Obviously I don't weld much anymore. All I have in the garage now-a-days is a little wire feed Miller. I couldn't tell you the last time I struck an arc.

LW
09-18-2013, 10:48 PM
You guys miss the point. It was less about welding and more about granddad. Oh well. And I may have embelished about not being able to weld with a standard hood. I have very few useful skills but I could weld Buckys butt cheeks closed as he climbed the ladder to his new deer hunting penthouse.

LW
09-18-2013, 10:49 PM
And I will try to take some pictures for you Bucky. Btw, killed a few fish on its maiden voyage.

Buckrub
09-18-2013, 10:52 PM
You'd have a long time to do it..................

LJ3
09-18-2013, 11:07 PM
Nice story!