PDA

View Full Version : Sure wish we had a fishing forum here .... (attn: Bucksnort)

Thumper
09-20-2013, 10:59 AM
... then I could ask this question over there. ;)

I struck gold at an estate sale this morning. I walked into the bathroom and BAM! Right in front of me was a whole shoebox full of old razors and packages of blades! I'm in heaven digging through this stuff. Heck, one is an old Schick Personal Touch with a pack of 5 blades. Got it for a quarter and it'll bring an easy-peasy $50-$60 in a heartbeat. I can prolly get a couple hunnert bucks for the total of a $6.00 investment.

Anyway, I dug through some old fishing stuff in the garage ... nothing really grabbed my eye except this old cricket box. I know it's not worth anything to speak of, but although I remember them, I can't for the life of me remember when they were common. Can any o'youse date this thing? There are no markings on it, but I remember my grandfather had one that looked persactly like it so I would guess 40's - 50's maybe? I remember it was the same color as a Coleman stove. This one's all there including the belt clip and they didn't charge extra for the cricket poop. Not worth much I don't think, but I like thinking of the history behind it and it reminds me of "Pop Kribbs". Everything's plastic these days.

Buckrub
09-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Looks invisible to me.

Thumper
09-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Ha! Yeah ... I forgot the attachments and it took a few minutes to do the edit.

Thumper
09-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Well, I found one just like it on e-Bay (other than the name "Old Pal" on the top). Sheeesh, he wants $54.00 for it! Doubt he'll get it, but I hope he does ... I'll list mine as soon as his sells! Anyway, according to his listing, it's from the 40's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-Old-Pal-CRICKET-LIVE-BAIT-CAN-Metal-Strap-vtg-40s-container-box-/330894010881

Arty
09-20-2013, 11:21 AM
That'd look great In my office.

Buckrub
09-20-2013, 11:24 AM
I haven't seen one like that. I can't imagine how it'd work for crickets. No way to open the lid without them all getting out. I have two homemade wooden cricket boxes, but I hate using them. My uncle made them probably in the 50's.

Thumper
09-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Who knows? I never really fished with crickets as a kid .. just worms or cut-bait.

Here's a set of three I found on another site ... marked down from $99 to $89 ... what a bargain! ;)

http://www.relique.com/set-of-three-vintage-old-pal-metal-crescent-bait-boxes/

Maybe they're worth more than I thought.

Arty, if you're serious ... I'll pop it in the mail to ya'. I'm still trying to figure out what it's worth. I just got home and have only spent a few minutes looking. Personally, I think those prices above are probably high ... but people go crazy for the "old" stuff. Heck, take me for example ... I have to fight the wimmins off on a daily basis! :D

Arty
09-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Yeah I'd like to have it. Send it on. Let me know how much

Niner
09-20-2013, 11:51 AM
I remember Dad had one kinda sorta like that, except it was aluminum with no paint.
Prolly still gots it round here somewheres.

Thumper
09-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Sorry Arty ... got busy here and had to step away. Gonna be tied up for a while, but I'll get this in the mail either today or tomorrow (have some errands to run now). How's $15 sound? (I'll even pick up the postage) I haven't had much time to look around other than the links I posted above, but I think they're high. That's what they're asking ... what they get is another story.

Thumper
09-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Oh yeah, they didn't charge me for the cricket poop, so I'll pass the "savings" on to you! :D

Arty
09-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Works for me

Captain
09-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Just DAMN! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

yellowk9
09-20-2013, 02:16 PM
I like this one. It's a more "modern" design with durable old metal and cork construction :wiggle1718

BarryBobPosthole
09-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Pump head, that's a sportsman's bedpan not a cricket cage you ninny. If you've ever camped with girls you'd know.
BKB

HideHunter
09-20-2013, 09:11 PM
I had a "Bob Bett Bait Box" when I was a kid. I wonder if that thing is still around here anywhere? It would be a neat "prop".