PDA

View Full Version : You're Killin' Me, Smalls...

LJ3
09-26-2013, 09:41 AM
So I get what I thought was "The Call" yesterday while I was grilling dinner. They asked if they could check my references, I say absolutely. They ask if I can go to lunch tomorrow to meet one last person, Senior Technical guy that would be reporting to me so they can "continue to move their process forward", I say no problem. What I wnated to say was "WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?!?!?!" But I didn't :)

I'm assuming this is all good news and hopefully I'll have some great news to report here very soon!

Thumper
09-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Have 'em call me ... I'll give 'em a reference! :booty

Good luck dufe ... we're pullin' for ya'.

BarryBobPosthole
09-26-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm available for a reference too! I promise I won't tell them about all the cats. and the ghosts. None of that.

BKB

Penguin
09-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Well good luck to you Len. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope this turns out to be a winner for you.

Will

HideHunter
09-26-2013, 10:48 AM
or that you fish for flathead bait and *make movies* about it.. ;)

Captain
09-26-2013, 11:27 AM
You gonna supervise someone at the drug store? What's his title Junior traffic controller? :D
Good luck man, Hell tell them you know me that should put you over the top! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Big Muddy
09-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Good luck, Len!!!

Being self-employed all my life, I've never had to be interviewed for a job....just wondering, why are you being interviewed by someone who will be reporting/answering to you???....what if he's pizzed because he didn't get the position that you are interviewing for???.

Just seems that you oughta be interviewed by someone who is gonna be your boss, and not someone who might have an axe to grind.

I'm sure I'm wrong about the interview process, nowadays.

Seriously, Good luck, Len!!!

BarryBobPosthole
09-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Interviewing processes vary pretty widely, at least in my experience they do. I once interviewed with a company that had me speak to a lot of different people like the one Len is currently going through. After I was hired, I figured out that they were less interested in having these people review my technical skills and experience, but were more interested in finding out how I interacted with people of different backgrounds. There's pluses and minuses to that, but the one thing it tells me is they aren't just hiring a person for a 'job', they're looking to fill a career position. That's pretty rare these days, IMO and a good thing.
One of the people I interviewed with there by the way was their top engineering guy. He asked me about three or four inane and typical interview questions and then hit me with his closer question: "Who does your automobile repairs?". I told him I did almost all of the ones I could handle. He later told me it was his make or break question and would never hire a person in ops or engineering job that didn't do their own auto repairs. So yeah, some folks are very strange about their ideas of how you should interview people.

BKB

Thumper
09-26-2013, 01:03 PM
I was being interviewed for a Service Manager position at a Cadillac Dealer in L.A. The GM was doing the interview in his office, but the owner wanted to sit in and observe. We went through all the usual interview b/s and then the GM asked me what my goal would be within the company if hired. I smiled and said, "Your desk!" The owner jumped up, slammed his hand on the corner of the desk and said, "HIRE THAT MAN" ... then walked out of the office. (I got the job) ;)

LJ3
09-26-2013, 03:35 PM
BBP hit the nail on the head. This will be my technical lead. We live or die together :) And as a general rule, network engineers are largely void of any discernible personality so I need to see how much explaining I'll have to do on his behalf. Kinda like Bucky :)

I've told them all along that I'm not a "job jumper" which is very common around this area. Their company culture is a very good fit for me in that they maintain the look and feel of a small company while being over 3000+ people. I've been interviewing them as carefully as they've been looking at me. They seem protective of their culture and I'm glad they are.

Chicken Dinner
09-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Hell, you've got enough personality for the both of you.

LJ3
09-26-2013, 03:55 PM
And maybe a few in reserve :)

jb
09-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Hell at your age you'd better take what you can get. :>)

Buckrub
09-26-2013, 04:12 PM
I always remember that almost every one of the folks that hired me, ended up firing me.

Good Luck, Lenster. You deserve some good luck.

Arty
09-27-2013, 06:47 AM
Good luck!