PDA

View Full Version : an unexpected kind act

LW
09-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Today a good friend of mine called me and told me to go look in my shop next to the John Deere. I went out there and found a beautiful walnut handled gig which are very rare around here and very sought after. I called my buddy back and he said that he was telling his dad who is quiet the local gigging legend around here about my son getting his first boat and his dad told him he wanted to get him started right. He doesnt even know my kid other than watching him play baseball (he played college baseball back in the day at Connors State). So apparently he asked my buddy where I lived and he delivered this gig today. Peoples generosity and sense of tradition amaze me.

Thumper
09-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Now THAT'S cool! Who knows? Someday your boy may pass it down to his own kid ... or someone else's kid.

Buckrub
09-26-2013, 07:40 PM
That's just cool. Thanks for sharing.

My cousin's boy played bb there......he's about 37 now, I think.

LJ3
09-26-2013, 09:29 PM
Things like that will restore some faith in humanity :)

Captain
09-26-2013, 10:07 PM
That is awesome! I'm sure it will be a treasure gift over the years. Very cool of them
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

HideHunter
09-27-2013, 08:56 AM
Okay - since Sunny hasn't shown - and I'll know she'll ask.. "gig"? - what do you guys gig?.. and what's the significance of a walnut handle?

Thanks for asking Sunny. :D

Big Skyz
09-27-2013, 09:23 AM
That is a great surprise and a generous act.

BarryBobPosthole
09-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Its a Cherokee tradition, Gene.

BKB

HideHunter
09-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Well - I'll be danged.. I googled it and so it seems.. Very cool!

Penguin
09-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Its a Cherokee tradition, Gene.

BKB

Really? How the hell did you know that? The cool things you learn on the internet. :)

Will

BarryBobPosthole
09-27-2013, 04:07 PM
I met a guy years ago on Eucha Lake who had an aluminum boat with sissy bars, big lights, and was rigged up like LW was talking about his son's boat. (It's not far from where LW lives) He was telling me about 'gigging suckers' up on the flats at night there as I was quizzing him about where to find some redear on the lake. Anyway, he had a real nice wooden handled gig and gave me the lowdown on it. His was gift from someone too. Another buddy of mine who live down around Tahlequah (Cherokee capitol)was buddies with somebody there who helped him make his own bow and also made a few gig handles.

Anyways, its a cool tradition and I imagine LW's boy will hold onto his and pass it on to his own sons some day. Lots of them never get used I imagine.

BKB

LW
09-27-2013, 05:59 PM
HH-we gig basically any nongame fish. Suckers, redhorse, hog mollies, flathead, white bass. Its a little early but we have started going. The lights draw alot of bugs right now. We usually cook them on the creek bank with fried potatoes and fried biscuits. The walnut gig handle is just sought out because it stays very straight and handles water well and stays really smooth. Very few things as fun as gigging. And if you have never eaten a properly prepared fried sucker then you havent lived.

Captain
09-27-2013, 06:29 PM
The lights draw alot of bugs right now. We usually cook them on the creek bank with fried potatoes and fried biscuits.

Them must be some mighty big bugs! :D

Sound like a hoot! I've done a right smart of Flounder Gigin' and a LOT of frog gigin' and would like to try what y'all are up too!
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

HideHunter
09-27-2013, 06:42 PM
LW.. We gig through the ice here. I haven't done much since I started bowfishing but a mess of carp of buffalo goes pretty good about January! Used to love to go with my dad when I was a kid. So I guess I need to ask - (Probably one of those things I should know) are you Cherokee?

BarryBobPosthole
09-27-2013, 06:59 PM
What LW isn't telling you is the guy in the front leans over those sissy bars and the guy in the back has that 70 horse johnson jet drive pretty much wide ass open and puts the boat wherever the guy in front points that gig. I've never done it but from whT I've heard about it its fun action. And this is in two foot of water when its blacker than the inside of a cow out.

LW, the guy I talked to at Eucha talked about a big fish fry and gathering of giggers in April so I thought it was an early spring deal.

BKB

Thumper
09-27-2013, 07:27 PM
Ha! Ya' beat me to it Cappy! I guess there are at LEAST two smart-asses here. :D

Captain
09-27-2013, 07:32 PM
I have to keep up my title of SD of the site... :D
:booty

LW
09-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Posthole, you would be referring to the annual green country gigging tournament. Its a 2 night ordeal. All the boats line up on the bank with their lights on and wait for the flair to go up in the air and then all hell breaks loose. It is a race up the creek usually 4 boats wide and that creek is only 3 boats wide in some places. At the end of the night, after the weigh-in, they fry it all up and feed everybody. Its a big deal.

Niner
09-28-2013, 05:40 AM
Wow! Fish gigging. I never would have guessed it. Sounds like a hoot!

I thought y'all was rigging up the frog-gigging boat from Hell. Either that or night-time bowfishing...which some folks do a bit of down here.