PDA

View Full Version : Government Shutdown....

Niner
10-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Does this mean that Air Force One is grounded?

BarryBobPosthole
10-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Haven't seen that one mentioned. Just almost a million people effectively laid off until its back in operation.

BKB

Niner
10-01-2013, 09:31 AM
....just like the non-civil servants.

Not to be flippant, but if a certain political party had passed a budget sometime in the last five or so years we wouldn't be at this point.

And, we have lived through this before. I remember the last time....my favorite boat ramp was closed for a week or so.

And I'm not just talkin about the obamacare. We spend WAY to danged much money on crap we don't need. Like a gold-digger with sugar daddy's credit card.

LJ3
10-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Sorry Folks...
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CwVpSBKzQYo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LJ3
10-01-2013, 10:44 AM
I'm EXTREMELY grateful I got my job offer when I did. I'm thinking the local job market here is going to be overwhelmed with Government employees looking for a change.

I'll reserve comment of what I think of 95% of all government employees I've personally encountered in my 50 years in this area.

Thumper
10-01-2013, 03:15 PM
We were at a National State Park.

HUH??? :confused:

(blondes!) ;)

Big Muddy
10-01-2013, 04:52 PM
HUH??? :confused:

(blondes!) ;)

I saw that, too, Thump, but gave her the benefit of the doubt, since she's been "incapacitated"....I REALLY had to restraint myself, however. ;)

LJ3
10-01-2013, 09:18 PM
And... FYI. There are THREE identical versions of AirForce1. All are fueled, power up and running 24x7, in different hangars around Andrews AFB. Same for Marine1, the choppers.

Chicken Dinner
10-01-2013, 09:28 PM
I know I had a number of folks running around burning up up a bunch if energy dealing with this issue today. Talk about a load of crap.

BarryBobPosthole
10-02-2013, 08:15 AM
FoxNews calls it a 'slimdown', as if 800,000 people being out of work with no pay is just America on a diet. That's about the most crass thing I've ever heard of.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Back in '95 after a three week shut down they ended up paying everybody for the time off anydamnway. While it was the right thing to do, don't let the anyone think we're going to save any money with this idiocy.

BarryBobPosthole
10-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Hopefully they'll do the same thing here. and it may be three months or longer before this thing is sorted out. I think it mainly depends on who's constituents screams the loudest at their reps and that's anybody's call. Also, the whole thing was designed to push back enrollment in exchanges. As that moves forward and data becomes available about what the true cost of insurance is for those folks who sign up, reality will have to eventually settle in, one way or the other. And anyone who says they know now is a lyin' motherfucker.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-02-2013, 08:48 AM
If it goes long (and I think it might), it will be folks who work on government contracts or grants that will get screwed. Trying to figure out who is still authorized to keep working on these is a nightmare. Their employers may keep paying them for a while even if they're on the beach, but eventually they'd have to lay them off and the government isn't going to go back and pay them for the time lost even if they do pay their own employees.

Niner
10-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Again, not to be flippant... Just a realist I guess....
What about all of the folks who've had there hours cut, or gotten laid off in this economy?

And then adding on the folks who've had their hours cut basically in half, or let go due to the Obummercare laws kicking in?

Those federal employees are a drop in the proverbial bucket.

A few years back, during the hight of the recession, my company laid off a lot of folks, cut everyone's pay by 10%, and cut hourly workers to 32 hours per week. This lasted about six or eight months for the hours ... And the pay didn't get fixed for about a year.

Chicken Dinner
10-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Just because one working man is hurting, is it okay to hurt another just to prove a point? You can dislike the ACA all you like (and there's plenty of reason for it), but the bottom line is that the Congress passed it, the President signed it into Law and the Supreme Court held it was constitutional. Then, we had an election and all these people got elected again. For the Congress now to hold the Federal budget hostage in an attempt to undo all that is wrong and the only people who are going to suffer are regular working people.

BarryBobPosthole
10-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Over the past several years, I have personally looked several hundred people in the eyes and told them they no longer have a job. None of them were for reasons of the health care law. A great many of them were due to actions directly taken by members of congress and the current and former presidents that blew up our economty. Nobody in congress or the administration gave a shit about those people then and there's no way you will ever convince me that they are doing what they are doing now because of them either. This is about mid term elections and is about the fact that many chickens will be coming home to roost regarding statements made about ACA by both sides that are simply not true and were manufactured to stake out a political position.
Somebody needs to give a real shit about people's jobs. Obviously all we get from all branches of our government is lip service.

BKB

Captain
10-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Look all that have said is that congress will have to receive the same health care as the rest if us and the budget can go through. What the fuck is unfair about that? So the senate Dems don't want the same health care so THEY are shuting the government down. O'Bummer is a lier and I hope they hold out till hell freezes over. The law was passed and now he is making exceptions for congress, unions and others and HE don't not have the authority to change it! Those adjustment HAVE to go back to congress. Ovomit said he would not allow congress to pass any law before it was posted on the internet and all Americans had a chance to read it. LIE! He, Reid and Pelosi said AHC had to be passed and THEN we could read it and see what it said... Ovomit said if he could not turn the economy around in his first term he would not run for a second term... LIE Ovomit said if you like your health care you can keep it LIE Ovomit said if you like your doctor you can keep them LIE The House HAS passed a budget to keep the country running the SENATE is the one that has shut it down. This shut down rest solely in the laps of the Dems in the Senate. I hope the hold out goes till hell freezes over. I'm tired of it all. I feel for the folks that are laid off that are government employees, and those laid off and had hours cut because of this piece of shit health care crap. But I think the Republicans are spot on with this issue and hope they stay the course. One thing that is clear in all this is we now have the worse president ever by a clear margin. Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
10-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Well, part of what you've said is true and part of it is bullshit. Obama didn't exempt congress from the ACA, congress did that. And putting congress on the ACA was only a part of what they proposed in one of their 'conmpromises'. If you don't like ACA, then change it through the channels that are there to change it. If its the will of the people to change it then it'll happen. and whether or not the Republicans are spot on or not is not the issue. If they were spot on, they wouldn't need to pull these shenanigans to do it. You know as well as I do this is going to cost the conservative cause big time in the coming election. And all thanks to a few idiots like Ted Cruz and his tea party brethren.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Fighting it this way is a huge loser for Republicans in the next election. They're just the only ones who don't see it. Sort of like the idjits who think we got our asses handed to us in the last elections because we weren't conservative enough. Wake freaking up, people. The Emperor has no clothes.

quercus alba
10-02-2013, 01:21 PM
I hate all politicians equally

BarryBobPosthole
10-02-2013, 01:23 PM
I hate all politicians equally

best post yet

BKB

Captain
10-02-2013, 01:32 PM
So if the Dems won't compromise that's not the problem. And if the Republicans won't compromise that IS the problem.
I get it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
10-02-2013, 01:37 PM
You don't put a gun to someone's head and call it compromise do you? This isn't a request for compromise, this is a demand to either do as I say or suffer the consequences. the Democrats have chosen the consequences. Now the republicans, or most of the ones I know, are whining that the dems won't compromise, which is utter and complete nonsense.

BKB

Captain
10-02-2013, 01:47 PM
There's no gun to anyone's head.
House passed a budget, senate didn't like it. So they sent one back the house didn't like
So it's OK for the Senate not to like the one sent but not OK fir the house to reject?
The House offered a total package to keep the government funded. The Senate is the one not coming to the table.

BarryBobPosthole
10-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Ah, I see. So its the senate's fault the House put something in there that the senate would never pass and told them they'd never pass.

Sounds like the proverbial Mexican standoff. But of course, its all the democrat's fault.

Go tell that to someone who isn't gonna get paid for a while and see how far that flies.

BKB

Niner
10-02-2013, 01:54 PM
You don't put a gun to someone's head and call it compromise do you?

BKB

No, I don't. And that's just what Harry Reid is doing!!! If you don't see that, remove the blinders and smell the coffee.

As to the furlowed Fed Workers, I do feel for them. However, WHY is the media making such a big deal out of it and the .... What is it now...15% out of work ....hardly get a mention???

Niner
10-02-2013, 01:59 PM
And I still say, if they'd have passed a budget instead of relying on these stop-gap CR's they wouldn't be in this fix.

AND THEY ALL SPEND MONEY LIKE DRUNKEN SAILORS. AND MONEY THEY AIN'T GOT TO SPEND ANYDAMNWAY.

BarryBobPosthole
10-02-2013, 01:59 PM
there's no 15% unemployment statistic I'm aware of. And what do they have to do with this particular deal? Other than most of of them are out of work because our beloved congress allowed the banking system of our country to rip us all off to the tune of trillions of dollars.

And no that isn't what Harry Reid is doing. He is saying that he will not accept a bill that rolls back something that doesn't even pertain to the matter they are voting on. Something thats already been voted on, litigated by all branches of government, and now presented as a poison pill in a completely different manner. Harry Reid is simply doing what's right.

BarryBobPosthole
10-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Here is the us unemployment rate trend by the way.
BKB

Captain
10-02-2013, 02:12 PM
"Harry Reid is simply doing what's right."
That has to be the saddest statement I've ever read on this site.

The unemployment rate looks that way not because people are going back to work, it looks like that because people have given up on finding employment and have maxed out on their benefits.
More folks out of work today, with less jobs than anytime in history.
Jobs are NOT being created and people are NOT going back to work. People are just disappearing off the unemployment rolls because they are no longer looking.

BarryBobPosthole
10-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Keep drinking that koolaide, Captain!

BKB

Captain
10-02-2013, 03:50 PM
It's good cause it's right. Keep them CNN blinders on.

Niner
10-02-2013, 10:23 PM
That damned George Bush!