PDA

View Full Version : Ressurection of the boots

Penguin
10-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Sky asked for a post (boring or not) so here is a little something you folks might get a chuckle out of.

Way back in '97 when I first graduated from school at went to work at CAT I bought my very first pair of insulated boots. Prior to that I used my work boots as that was all I had and that was all I could afford really. But after spending a couple months catching up on all the various bills that had piled up in college I finally got a paycheck with no one's name on it. On the way home from work that evening I decided to finally buy a pair of really nice insulated hunting boots. Stopped at the local Red Wing dealer and checked things out.

After some measuring and hemming and hawwing the guy running the joint gave me the news: I wear a size 11 1/2 to 12 EEEE. A very rare size even back then (don't even think of trying to find that size now everyone makes EE and that is that). The good news? He happened to have a pair just that size that were old stock. The best Irish Setter boot and made in the US before they left for China. I tired them on was in heaven. Price? $235... in 1997 this was some serious cash especially for boots that had sat in the back of the store for years already.

Fast forward 13 years.

I am on top of a very big mountain after an hour hike in total darkness. I'm scraping off the leaves and getting ready to sit down on opening day of deer season. As my foot makes a final swath across my stand kicking the leaves off, feel a 'click' and then hear a splash in the leaves down the side of the mountain. Long story short the tread had left the building and I was on the slick midsole. Before I got back down the mountain in the very slick leaves I lost the other boot tread. Here's what they looked like after the hike back in:

Pretty bad shape. I ~loved~ these boots. Took excellent care of them. They fit better than any other boot I have owned. I was heartbroken. Tried to get several repair shops to resole them and literally got laughed at. I kept them though hoping that someone, somewhere would be able to get these things back in the game.

Finally heard of a guy named Dave Page in Seattle. Mountain climbers and hikers raved about this guy. I called him. He asked for pics. After seeing them he said no problem and I sent them in. Just got them back a week or two ago and you wouldn't believe what they look like now. He absolutely revived these boots and for under $70.

I am giddy with having my old friends back and will post a pic of them tonight when I get home. There you go, a boring story but the best I can come up with Sky. :)

Will

BarryBobPosthole
10-02-2013, 11:50 AM
I don't think i've ever seen hunting boots without a heel on them. was that built into the tread sole or something?

I know how you feel. I'm the same way about boots. Now, when I find a pair I like, I buy two or three pair of them just for that very reason. Sellers seem to change boots about as often as anything. Right now, my favorite boot is the plain old uninsulated Cabela's guide boot. We don't find the need for insulation here often and I have a pair of higher top insulated boots for those few times I need them.

BKB

actually, the ones I have are called 'outfitter series' not guide boots. completely different animal.

Penguin
10-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Yep, that is exactly right Barry. The heel is in the molded tread. Here's a pic of them:

Man I wish I could go back in time and buy a couple extra pairs of these things. You know how it is though, it takes a while to learn those things. I was so proud of the fact that I had taken such good care of them that they actually lasted through 13 hunting seasons. Course most all of it was in mature timber so it wasn't like I was taking them through scree or shale or the like all the time.

It is funny how when I was young I always wanted the latest and greatest and now I seem to want only stuff I have had for a while. My pop tells me that is a sign that I am getting old. :)

Will

Big Skyz
10-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Will, actually that was a great story and I would be very interested in the contact information for Dave Page. I hate it when I wear out the tread long before the uppers are ready to give up the ghost.

Penguin
10-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Sure thing Troy. Here is his email address: cobbler@davepagecobbler.com

You can google him and get his phone and a look inside his shop. There is a form that you need to fill out when you send in a pair of boots also: http://www.davepagecobbler.com/forms.pdf

One warning, he is a very busy guy and don't chitchat at all. But he sure gets it done and he don't waste time doing it either. Apparently not may shops actually are set up to replace the midsole on boots. They can resole them but only if the midsole isn't harmed. As you can see these things were tore all to hell.

Will

BarryBobPosthole
10-02-2013, 12:08 PM
I may get in touch with him too. I have a pair of felt soled leather wading boots that the felt soles have come off of. I am considering just having them resoled with something else (not sure what yet). the felt sure enough does give you better grip though.

the fly fishing purists all give me the stink eye when I wear them though. They'll stand right by a chicken house and swear its my boots that causes diddymo.

BKB

Big Skyz
10-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Thank you much!

DeputyDog
10-02-2013, 03:52 PM
I wear Danner boots at work and routinely get several years put of them. Usually only get about two to three years on the soles, but I take them to a local shoe repair guy, (cobbler) and get them resoled, and while he has them, he reconditions the leather. They look entirely brand new when I get them back and it only costs in the area of $65-70.

Penguin
10-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Well here are the pics I promised. I think he did a really good job on them and I can't wait to walk into the woods with them this fall.

Bwana
10-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Glad to see the old boots could be made new again as there is nothing like a good fitting boot. I always tell folks getting into the outdoors that if they are going to splurge on a piece of equipment, footwear is the place to do it as it can make or break a hunt, at least it can in this country because if your feet are cold or wet you are done.

BarryBobPosthole
10-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Those boots look like they're broke in good. That's worth a lot right there!

BKB

Penguin
10-03-2013, 09:43 AM
They are that Barry.

You know one thing that I don't understand about new versus old boots: The leather on these boots is not any thicker than that on some of my newer boots but it is one hell of a lot tougher. It is pliable and bendy like you'd expect but it doesn't abrade or cut nearly as easily. Maybe it was tanned better or something. I have a hard time believing that cows are growing less tough leather than they used to.

Will

BarryBobPosthole
10-03-2013, 10:33 AM
My ex bro in law, and still a good friend although his wife prohibits us from socializing much any more, had a pair of elephant skin cowboy boots that he wore on about every outdoor excursion we went on. Those things were tough as nails. I think he had them resoled about five times before they just completely gave out on him. The uppers were still in great shape though. Of course, try to find elephant skin boots these days and they look at you like a brahma bull at a white faced calf.

I use mink oil on my hunting boots. I've heard that mink oil will rot the threads that holds the soles on but I've never had that problem. Adds to the waterproofing and keeps the leather real supple is what I think.

BKB