PDA

View Full Version : down graded to tropical storm Hotshot

hotshot
10-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Won first round of sectionals last night. The team we play tonight(if it doesn't rain) is not very good.... I quote their coach, "we are bad this year". So tonight's match should be anti-climactic.
Today is the 15th or 16th duck day. I lost track. I handed it off to our Delta Waterfowl committee. The event has changed, but the good things it does are still taught.
Mason... he will facebook me on occasion- I always start the conversation. He is still distant and won't discuss anything serious. He is continuing his degree but adding Homeland security courses. Currently his goal is to be a border patrol officer.
His mom, who he listens to without question apparently is a pain pill addict. I haven't actually run into her in over a year, even though we live in the same town. That is good, because she usually starts yelling for any odd reason. A co worker saw her last week- said she looks like crap. Huge, but a pale washed out face. Very grouchy. I can't for the life of me figure out why that is appealing to him. We have a calm, well structured and caring family that is very stable, and success oriented. and yep..... I resent that that is what he has chosen.

Luke earned himself a new bow this summer. He now has one that will grow with him for several years. Nice bow- settled on a Diamond after looking at about 20 others. Good bow.
Abby playing volleyball like a beast this fall. Both have basketball on a regular basis. We have jumped off the cliff of travel baseball with Luke for next summer. He has started strength training as of Saturday.
Still too hot to and too busy to get into the woods.... Archery season started. A buddy gave us a few cameras.... addicting hobby. Have 3 nice bucks on film. Now to get an arrow in one of them between now and Jan.

Captain
10-03-2013, 08:18 AM
I always like catching up on your happenings. Pretty cool. You keep some irons in the fire.
Even though I know there is a little Rub' between you and Mason right now I can't help but think that this too shall pass... Or at least I hope it will. I'm prayin' for it anyway.
Keep us posted.
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
10-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Great to hear from you Scott! Keep the faith, brother!

BKB

Thumper
10-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Warning! Thump post ... ;)

As for Mason ... it's impossible to figure these things out sometimes. BUT ... there's NO WAY you should blame yourself or ask, "What did I do wrong?" (in regards to his upbringing)

There are 6 kids in my family. (most of us could be considered entrepreneurs I suppose)

#1 - Myself? I think I've done pretty well for myself. I've never had to ask the family for help and have always held my own. I worked for the man for many years, then started my own business which I had for 20 years and did very well at it. The rest is recent history, I've adjusted my life-style to match my income but still do what I can to bring in extra money ($1500/mo. avg. on eBay) ... but I still have the house, two nice cars, have NEVER missed a payment (except by accident) on anything in my life ... ever.

#2 - My oldest brother has owned his own business most of his working life. He did the usual "work for the man" stuff when young ... but has owned his own successful business for the past 30+ years. He has a large, very nice house in Northern California, as well as a "mountain get-away" house.

#3 - My oldest sister has worked 2 jobs most of her life and raised 2 kids on her own (her bum ex has never paid a penny of child support). She has done very well for herself and is set for retirement with various investments, etc.

#4 - My youngest sister and her hubby met while working together at Kentucky Fried Chicken as H/S kids. They got married young and started a business (which has now been turned over to their kids). They are MULTI-millionaires, own a VERY large house in a ritzy area of Houston, have two condos on the beach (one for them and one in case they invite friends to the beach) as well as many, many investments (mostly real estate).

#5 - My other younger brother (a twin) has always worked for himself on a contract basis. He lives an average lifestyle, wife, a couple of kids, owns his home, has never asked for a penny from family and has always been gainfully employed. Your "average Joe American" I guess.

That brings us to #6, my younger brother (twin to the brother above). He has NEVER held a job, is a total social asshole, has been homeless most of his life (in and out of shelters). EVERYONE in the family has tried to help ... let him move in, given him jobs or "found" him jobs, helped him financially, etc. etc. etc. He burned EVERY single one of us. For the past ... close to 20 years ... he's not been allowed on my property and most of my siblings will not even speak to him (including my mom!). He now lives with some other bum and they share a ratty single-wide trailer in a super scuzzmo trailer park in the crappiest part of town here. I have no idea how they pay the rent and buy groceries ... probably some sort of gov't help (?). He's never "really" worked in his life.

The point of this diatribe is this ... we were all raised in the same household. We all had the same care, good family, nice homes ... the same opportunities. Why he chose to go the route he did is anybody's guess. We (the family) gave up trying to figure him out years ago. My parents blamed themselves for many years, but after much soul-searching, never could figure out what they did wrong. The answer is ... they did NOTHING wrong. Some kids just choose their own paths no matter how senseless it appears to be ... and there's not much you can do about it. The main thing is ... YOU know how YOU raised him ... that's all you can do and DO NOT try blaming yourself. Concentrate on the positives your other kids display ... you've done a fine job with them ... obviously!

hotshot
10-03-2013, 02:44 PM
thanks Jim. Thanks for the prayers.
I let go of blaming myself a couple yrs back. Odd thing he is dating the daughter of one of the police officers that cuffed him in the HS parking lot years back for having all the guns in his truck. I guess the issue was expunged since he is still on track to be a Boarder Patrol officer.