PDA

View Full Version : Did I Mention?

BarryBobPosthole
10-03-2013, 10:17 AM
That I made some absolutely awesome chicken fried steak and mashed taters and gravy for supper last night?

And guess what I'm having for breakfast?

BKB

LJ3
10-03-2013, 10:24 AM
I just drooled

Big Muddy
10-03-2013, 10:25 AM
That I made some absolutely awesome chicken fried steak and mashed taters and gravy for supper last night?

And guess what I'm having for breakfast?

BKB

Sorry, Phole, but you're only getting koolaid and cornbread for breakfact!!!....Ovomit just issued an executive order to give all chicken fried steak to these folks.

BarryBobPosthole
10-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Now that ain't fair. Now all a y'all are just ganging up on me.

BKB

Thumper
10-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Chicken fried steak is one of my all-time favorites and is usually what I order when we go out. I gots a question though. Leave it to Yankees to screw up a good thing. When I go "up nawth" ... I notice it's called "country fried steak" instead of "chicken fried steak". I figured, "no problem" ... same thing ... different name. BUT ... the MF'ers serve it with BROWN FRIGGING GRAVY! Yuck. Sorry, but "chicken fried steak" is served with MILK (pepper) gravy! (and I smother that in Tobasco sauce I might add). ;)

Sheeesh, brown gravy on Chicken Fried Steak? That's as bad as those dang Canucks bringing me my order of French Fries smothered in that crap! ;)

BUT ... it seems the whole issue is actually a bit confusing. I just call it what my mom called it. (Lynn makes a KILLER Chicken Fried Steak BTW)

Here's what's on the net ... (I'm still confused)

To many Americans, the terms "chicken fried steak" and "country fried steak" are used interchangeably to describe steak that's been pounded, coated and fried, and served with gravy. But there is a regional distinction, Edge maintains: Country-fried steak is a "pan-Southern" dish — a dish that sort of embodies the cuisine of the collective South — and is usually simmered in gravy. Chicken fried steak is a Texas variation that's fried and served alongside creamy gravy.

Other authorities contend that chicken fried steak, a favorite in Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma, is deep-fried in the manner of fried chicken, as opposed to country fried steak — popular in Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, and the Carolinas — which is dredged and then pan-fried in gravy. And although the gravy in country fried steak may be brown or white, chicken fried steak is served with a white pepper gravy.

Big Muddy
10-03-2013, 10:52 AM
I ordered a chicken fried pork steak, the other day at a little roadside café, and that's dang good, too....served with niblet corn, rice/gravy, yeast rolls, salad, sweet tea, and a small slice of cherry cheescake for $6.65.

BarryBobPosthole
10-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Those easterners can call it what they want, but it ain't chicken fried steak unless its fried like chicken and smothered in cream gravy.

Eddie, a lot of places around here have chicken fried chicken too. Just a chicken breast pounded out flat like a chicken fried steak and fried the same way. Never tried the pork. Might have to some time.

BKB

Thumper
10-03-2013, 10:58 AM
it ain't chicken fried steak unless its fried like chicken and smothered in cream gravy

Someone please help me ... I'm on the same page with a flaming Liberal! :D

LJ3
10-03-2013, 10:59 AM
I ordered a chicken fried pork steak, the other day at a little roadside café, and that's dang good, too....served with niblet corn, rice/gravy, yeast rolls, salad, sweet tea, and a small slice of cherry cheescake for $6.65.

Pretty sure that's called a friggin pork chop :)

Niner
10-03-2013, 11:02 AM
I was just about to post about the Chiken Fried Chicken. That's some good eating right there!!

Thumper
10-03-2013, 11:07 AM
So, no matter what it is ... if you pound it, batter it and fry it ... it's "chicken fried"? I'm with the Lenster.

Goofy semantics IMHO.

BarryBobPosthole
10-03-2013, 11:11 AM
When I was in high school, after every away game one the way home the football bus would stop at some greasy spoon restaurant somewhere and we'd have a chicken fried steak. Our coach in fact called all of us second stringers 'chicken fries' (among other things) because he said the only reason we played was to get chicken fried steaks. Ya know, he was probably right! Good memories. I think of that every time I eat one.

BKB

Big Muddy
10-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Pretty sure that's called a friggin pork chop :)

Nope, Len....poke chops have a boner....mine didn't have a boner!!! ;)

Thumper
10-03-2013, 11:28 AM
That's a "pounded" pork loin/"pounded" center-cut pork chop! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
10-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Thumper knows all about pounding his pork!

BKB

Thumper
10-03-2013, 12:30 PM
So? ;)