PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas in the tractor business....

Big Muddy
10-04-2013, 12:15 AM
This is the first I've heard of this....looks like the old TMY tractors that has been re-packaged, and carrying the Cabela's decals....smaller models have Mitsibishi engines....larger models have the more reliable Perkins engines.

Just my 2 cents, but doubt they sell many of them.

Captain
10-04-2013, 06:31 AM
Perkins was a good engine. I think it was Massey Ferguson or Massy-Harris that use to use those engines. They were a sewing machine.... Neat looking little tractors. Guess they are trying to hit the food plot people. Wonder if they have a 4 in 1 loader attachment? And you got to think about parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Big Muddy
10-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Parts were my first thought, too, Cap....it sure wouldn't be like walking into the local John Deere dealership for parts....I went thru that nightmare, once, with a Zetor tractor.

My buddies kidded the heck outta me about that tractor, and reminded me that Zetor spelled backwards is "ROT-E-Z". ;)

Captain
10-04-2013, 09:13 AM
LOL. That is funny! I love me some green paint and all our equipment (except the old 8n I restored) is Deere. But Lord have mercy do they LOVE to charge for a part. The other day the little heat sensor that cuts the fan on in the radiator of my Gator went out. Now this little thing is about the size of the end of you little finger cut off at the first joint. I walked in the dealer and 74 dollars later I had one! Damn....
And the new 6 foot cut 997 diesel zero turn Deere mower ain't the best ride in the world. So they have come out with an attachment that goes under the seat and is a shock absorbing thingy. Almost 500.00 bucks at the dealer. I got a buddy to get me the part number from Deere and searched it out since I was not in a hurry for it and found it from the actual maker for about 200.... Deere sure thinks a lot of the box they package it in....
I do need a small cab tractor with a 4 in one bucket for woods and food plot work and if parts were available for the one you posted it could fit the bill.
Take Care, Captain

BarryBobPosthole
10-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Just wondering, but I wonder why more companies don't offer a propane model or a CNG model for those smaller tractors. Seems to me like it'd be a perfect application for them and the engines would last forever.

BKB

Captain
10-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Damn good question! I don't know. Perhaps it would be that filling the tanks is something farmers would baulk at. IDK. Does seem like a good idea. Folklifts last for ever and very quite and dependable. Hummmm......

BarryBobPosthole
10-04-2013, 09:29 AM
I think if I was cabelas and trying to fit in a niche market like little tractors for food plots and such, I'd market it so you could just swap out a small propane cylinder to gas it up as part of the convenience of the things.

BKB

Big Muddy
10-04-2013, 09:46 AM
I used to burn propane(LP) in all my trucks....had an 80 gal. propane tank mounted in the truck bed, right behind the cab....at that time, the conversion kit to switch a truck over to LP, cost about $100 bucks, and LP was about $1.50 per gallon....now, with all the EPA regulations and computerized engines, the kit costs over a thousand bucks, and LP, costs nearly as much as regular gas....and, LP gas mileage is somewhat lower than regular gas, too....the real convenience of LP in a truck was having that big ole 80 gal. tank in the truck bed....you could ride for a LONG time without a refill.

And, in a tight, you could air up tires and blow out the trash in radiators, if you had an accessory hose attached to the tank....dangerous as h3ll, but everybody did it....saw my daddy-in-law get blown outta his old Farmall M tractor seat, once, when he ran over the sharp end of a culvert, and sliced open the rear tire....LP in the tire ignited from the sparks, when the metal rim hit the metal culvert, and blew him clean off that old tractor. ;)

The real downside to LP on a tractor is the reduction in power....it just doesn't have that good lugging-power that a diesel has.