PDA

View Full Version : Pretty sure he is gonna get a good scolding....

Big Muddy
10-04-2013, 10:36 AM
If you missed the post-game interview with Paul Rhodes, last night after the Iowa State-Texas game, you missed one pissed-off coach....and, rightfully so....they got screwed, and old yeller-teeth won the game. ;)

http://www.cyclones.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=3076185

BarryBobPosthole
10-04-2013, 10:51 AM
I didn't see it but I read about it today. I guess there were some bad calls? I did read where Mack was proud of beating Iowa State and got a big smile from that one. The day any true Texas fan is proud of beating a cellar dweller by one point in a comefrombehind win is a sad day indeed.

RIP Texas Longhorns.

BKB

Penguin
10-04-2013, 11:40 AM
It is kind of sad in a way. I mean watching a proud and storied program flail around like they have recently, well it is strange.

I have discussed this with other CFB crazies like myself and I have voiced the opinion that Texas will become Texas again when they give up on this pass happy spread bullshit and start playing football. They are weak at the point of attack on both sides of the LOS and until they fix that i don't think any long term success is headed their way. Mack Brown should have been fired on general principles years ago (along with Bob Stoops).

Any head coach of a true blue blood elite program like Texas who chooses voluntarily to run this type of offense should be fired and replaced with someone who knows how to run play action/power football.

BarryBobPosthole
10-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Now you're just talking nonsense. Just because Mack Brown doesn't know how to develop talent doesn't mean that spread offense has anything to do with it. Oklahoma has done well with its spread thank you very much. About as well as anyone in the country over the past 13 years under Stoops. And this year, if you'll check the numbers you'll find that OU is almost dead evenly balanced between rushing and passing. Granted, it is time to evolve from the spread. But even the vaunted SEC defenses can't handle the spread offenses that are in their league today. so its must be a pretty good scheme given you have a pro style quarterback, which is something else that's new to the SEC this past couple of years (thanks to Ryan Tannehill and Johnny Football).

Gosh, Willy, next thing you know you'll be bitching about the forward pass.

BKB

Penguin
10-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Allow me to retort. :)

To my count there have been two, and only two, BCS titles won by a team that ran the spread. I see 7 power/play action teams, 4 spread option teams, and two true spread teams: Tennessee (1998) and Oklahoma (2003). The reason? If you have the talent to fill any type of offense the power/play action is the best.

My contention isn't just that the play action offense is the best though, it is more than that. It is the most physical. And the problem with Mack Brown, Bob Stoops, and the rest of these spread attacks is that they are soft. And against a true top level defense they almost always resort to being even more one dimensional than normal which is saying a lot.

And don't even try to defend Stoops with this years bunch. He isn't passing because he can't. His QBs are pretty bad. Over the last 5 years he has only one year where he failed to pass for at least twice as many yards as for running and that year it was still close. He is a pass happy coach who really doesn't know how to establish a physical run game. He doesn't have the patience.

The worst part is that WVU has one just like him. Holgersen and his offense are already wearing thin with me.

Will