PDA

View Full Version : If there is.....

Captain
10-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Better people than the folks at this website I don't know em'
Just spent a week with Conine and he is a inspiration to be around. His wife is a angel from above and their love for each other envious. I'll let him tell the events of the week if he chooses too. We pretty much hung a gone fishing sign out on the hunting trip for several reasons. But just having such wonderful company around the farm was like a vacation for me!
Thanks Niner and come on back when you can!
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Big Skyz
10-05-2013, 06:02 PM
I met Bill once. My only regret is that I didn't spend more time around him. I'm really hoping he will point hisself West and come visit me one day soon.

BarryBobPosthole
10-05-2013, 10:45 PM
I think he'll do in a pinch, don't you? I plan to fish with him someday. Its on my bucket list.

BKB

Captain
10-05-2013, 10:46 PM
If y'all get together to fish, then you BOTH will be in fine company! I hope you get to do it sooner than later...
Take Care, Captain

Niner
10-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Hmmmmm....lemme see if I can piece together a shortish trip report. I posted a fragment over in the Fishing Room.

Eating:
Before I went, I smoked an 8# Boston Butt on my BGE and shredded it up and put it into a couple of gallon zip lock bags.
(Larke made out like he liked it, and managed to eat a few sammiches.)
Larke's bride made up a huge batch of delicious Wild Turkey Salad that made some fabulous sammiches.
Round that out with a trip to the grocery for chips and such and we we eating HIGH on the hog for the week!!
We also went to a little lunch buffet place one afternoon in town......YUMMMMY home-style coookin'!!!

Huntin:
I thought this was supposed to be South Carolina, not South TEXAS! :D
Hotter than a popcorn fart.
I did see A deer for about 15 seconds right after daylight that did not offer a good shot.
Just tooooo darned hot for the deer to be moving.
However, one does not have to kill something in order to have a GOOD TIME!

Fishin:
I took a couple of rods along as an afterthought......glad I did.
Took my little bitty UL rig, and one of my bass poles.
Caught a bunch of very healthy, chunky bream.
Caught several NICE bass, and a couple of HUGH catfish on mostly topwater baits.
Highly recommend both the "Bream Pond" and the "Secret Topwater Pond" for great fishin' action.

Farmin:
Cap'n was nice enough to let me tag along and "help" with some of the farm work that has to be done.
We worked on a few of his deer condos.
We counted NEWBORN calves every morning (lots of fun).
Checked on and fed other members of his herd in the pastures.
Worked on and fixed a few feeders.
Fixed a couple of leaky water tanks.
I got to watch as he herded a few wayward cattle barefooted.
Got to watch him do the Watusi when he accidentally touched the electric fence. (Cap's quite a good dancer.) :bj
And just generally knocked around during the mid day hours until "the bite" would start in the late afternoon.

I'll have to hand it to Cap'n. He is a very hospitable and gracious host. We....or at least I had a fantastic time.
He was very patient with me, as I have to move and do things a lot slower now than I used to. Riding around was one of them. He had to run a great deal slower than he normally does in order not to jar and hurt my back. We had to carry a dove-stool along fishing because I cannot stand in one place for more than a few mins. And, it takes me a bit longer to "get ready" to go than it used to. BUT I am still "in the game", and "endeavoring to preserver". This trip is (was) a milestone in my recovery. It shows that I indeed AM getting better and better every day, which is my mantra. AND, I think this trip helped me in building my stamina up, as we were out of doors almost all day "doing stuff" and I forced myself to keep on going and going. When my wife picked me up yesterday, she said she could tell I was walking better than I was last week!:headbang

THANKS buddy, for a great week that I will not soon be forgetting!!!!!!!!!!!!:beer

Thumper
10-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Well, I met bof'o youse dufes many years ago and have shared time with each of you on many different occasions since. Being the smart-ass that I am, I have to admit, to say anything negative, I'd have to make it up.

No wait ... I've also met both of your wives ... I will have to say, they both have to be saints to put up with either one o'youse buttheads!

Ahhhh, I feel better now ... kind'a like a back-handed slam there. (see how a professional butthead can slip those in?) :D

Cappy, we're looking forward to seeing you and Cheryl the end of this month. Did ya' freeze any'o that pulled pork for me? ;)

Captain
10-06-2013, 02:05 PM
"Did ya' freeze any'o that pulled pork for me?"
Ah no.... There might be a half to 3/4 pounds left but it will be GONE when I go back tomorrow or Tuesday to check baby calfs... :D

Thumper
10-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Hog! :(

Big Skyz
10-06-2013, 02:56 PM
I can't believe you guys can calve in the fall. That would be suicide out here!

Captain
10-06-2013, 03:34 PM
I can't believe you guys can calve in the fall. That would be suicide out here!
That's when we like to calve out here. The weather is (usually) cooler than the summer and they just seem to have a lot better time in the cooler weather. Our winters are not bad cold and they just seem to have a all round easier time.