PDA

View Full Version : Well what's it gonna be today?

Captain
10-09-2013, 06:25 AM
Sites up and running and the democrats still got the government shut down.
So what we gonna fuss about today?

BarryBobPosthole
10-09-2013, 07:22 AM
You're still wrong headed in who shut the government down. Ted Cruz stood up in the senate and announced his plan to shut the government down unless he and his party got their way. then when the government shut down, you want to blame it on somebody else. that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Well, no. The dumbest is the people who believe it.

BKB

Captain
10-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Wrong Posthole. You memory is shorter than your pecker. The house sent a budget that FUNDED THE ENTIRE GOVERNMENT except for bummer' care. The Senate democraps.... Rejected it and shut the government down.
Republicans and the house funded every aspect of government.... So there is no egg on their face.
All finance bills originate in the House, check the constitution. They have the right to fund or not fund anything by the constitution. It was the Democraps in the Senate that said they would not pass the budget if the house failed to fund Stupidcare'. So they are the one that tried to ride rough shod over the house. Glad the house did not buckle. And hope thy hold the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
10-09-2013, 07:56 AM
I loved O'Bummer's speech yesterday. He was comparing what's going on within the government and trying to compare it to things that would NEVER happen in "real" life. He said he can't understand how Congress thinks they can get away with it in their jobs. In one comparison, he said in "civilian life" employees would NEVER ... EVER make demands of a company and shut the company down if they didn't get their way.

Isn't O'Bummer pro-union? Doesn't a strike basically shut a company down because the union member's demands were not met? What planet does he live on?

BarryBobPosthole
10-09-2013, 08:27 AM
The Republicans may well have a point about Obama refusing to negotiate ACA with the minority members in Congress. But it wasn't Obama who shut the government down. It was Boehner and about 50 congressmen who shut the government down. Now whether that was the right thing or the wrong thing to do is debatable. But there's no question who forced this to happen. And I'll apologize in advance for saying this Larke, but to say otherwise is just the same bullshit that FoxNews and the Tea Party would like all to believe.

BKB

Captain
10-09-2013, 08:39 AM
You are just wrong there Barry,

Who Shut Down the Government? by Thomas Sowell

Who Shut Down the Government?
Thomas Sowell | Oct 04, 2013
There is really nothing complicated about the facts. The Republican-controlled House of Representatives voted all the money required to keep all government activities going -- except for ObamaCare.
This is not a matter of opinion. You can check the Congressional Record.
As for the House of Representatives' right to grant or withhold money, that is not a matter of opinion either. You can check the Constitution of the United States. All spending bills must originate in the House of Representatives, which means that Congressmen there have a right to decide whether or not they want to spend money on a particular government activity.
Whether ObamaCare is good, bad or indifferent is a matter of opinion. But it is a matter of fact that members of the House of Representatives have a right to make spending decisions based on their opinion.
ObamaCare is indeed "the law of the land," as its supporters keep saying, and the Supreme Court has upheld its Constitutionality.
But the whole point of having a division of powers within the federal government is that each branch can decide independently what it wants to do or not do, regardless of what the other branches do, when exercising the powers specifically granted to that branch by the Constitution.
The hundreds of thousands of government workers who have been laid off are not idle because the House of Representatives did not vote enough money to pay their salaries or the other expenses of their agencies -- unless they are in an agency that would administer ObamaCare.
Since we cannot read minds, we cannot say who -- if anybody -- "wants to shut down the government." But we do know who had the option to keep the government running and chose not to. The money voted by the House of Representatives covered everything that the government does, except for ObamaCare.
The Senate chose not to vote to authorize that money to be spent, because it did not include money for ObamaCare. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says that he wants a "clean" bill from the House of Representatives, and some in the media keep repeating the word "clean" like a mantra. But what is unclean about not giving Harry Reid everything he wants?
If Senator Reid and President Obama refuse to accept the money required to run the government, because it leaves out the money they want to run ObamaCare, that is their right. But that is also their responsibility.
You cannot blame other people for not giving you everything you want. And it is a fraud to blame them when you refuse to use the money they did vote, even when it is ample to pay for everything else in the government.
When Barack Obama keeps claiming that it is some new outrage for those who control the money to try to change government policy by granting or withholding money, that is simply a bald-faced lie. You can check the history of other examples of "legislation by appropriation" as it used to be called.
Whether legislation by appropriation is a good idea or a bad idea is a matter of opinion. But whether it is both legal and not unprecedented is a matter of fact.

BarryBobPosthole
10-09-2013, 08:42 AM
Not much need for coffee this morning!

That article by Bucky's hack, Sowell by the way is horseshit.

BKB

Captain
10-09-2013, 08:44 AM
So any truth you don't like is horseshit.
What part is wrong?

BarryBobPosthole
10-09-2013, 08:50 AM
The part where somebody does something based on some kind of principles and then won't even own up to doing it. and to make matters worse, then blame ALL of the consequences on the other side. Sowell's article is just twisted logic and it is NO way to run a government.

You cannot blame other people for not giving you everything you want.

BKB

Thumper
10-09-2013, 08:59 AM
SOMEONE didn't listen to O'Bummer's speech yesterday. Talk about "blaming ALL of the consequences on the other side!"

LJ3
10-09-2013, 09:01 AM
hehehehe... "Bucky's hack"

Captain
10-09-2013, 09:03 AM
The part where somebody does something based on some kind of principles and then won't even own up to doing it. and to make matters worse, then blame ALL of the consequences on the other side. Sowell's article is just twisted logic and it is NO way to run a government. You cannot blame other people for not giving you everything you want. BKB

That is EXACTLY what the democraps are doing. Thank you for agreeing.

They failed to accept the total funding the house passed to keep the government going and now they are blaming the house for that. The "fault" is in their laps.

Thumper
10-09-2013, 09:05 AM
You know ... I have to admit ... I hate politics and very seldom get into serious political discussions. BUT .. I DO follow what's going on to a degree ... I just seldom discuss my thoughts.

That said, I watched every second of the President's news conference yesterday. I will tell you right now, I have never "liked" him, but I roll with the punches when it comes to politics and things I don't agree with. After yesterday's news conference, I can honestly say I learned to hate that worthless pos mother-fucker and honestly, DEEP DOWN, believe he is the worst thing to EVER happen to this country. I travel a LOT (well, I used to) and never thought I'd see the day when I'd walk around another country feeling embarrassed to be an American. That's how I feel these days. :pissed

Awww crap! Now NSA is gonna shut us down again ... I think I hear the black helicopters approaching. I may have to dip into the GH bank account for bail money. ;)

Niner
10-09-2013, 09:11 AM
I guess it depends on the color of your "filter". In my view that article is spot-on.

What the POTUS and Senate are doing is akin to the petulant spoiled brat that is pissed off because Mommy and Daddy (that control the money) "only" bought them a brand new Chevy instead of the BMW that they wanted.

Oh, they are totally willing to "negotiate" as long as the House caves and gives them everything they want. The democrat's idea of negotiating is like two coyotes and a sheep talking about what's gonna be for dinner.

Chicken Dinner
10-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Sweet Jesus, but you people are delusional.

Chicken Dinner
10-09-2013, 09:27 AM
I'm with Posthole. Let's really shut down the whole damn government (ie, the military including VA benefits, social security, everything) and see how folks feel about no government.

Niner
10-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Even welfare, the IRS, and those "non essential" joy rides on Air Foce One?

The figure I've been hearing is that "only" 17% is shut down anyway.

Chicken Dinner
10-09-2013, 09:48 AM
False. But, I agree. Everything.

Chicken Dinner
10-09-2013, 09:49 AM
No meat inspectors. No Medicare. No Border Patrols or DHS. No anything. I'm thinking anarchy could be fun.

Chicken Dinner
10-09-2013, 09:52 AM
It'll be Bucky's dream world. I sure hope all you old folks are stocked up on your Meds.

Thumper
10-09-2013, 09:55 AM
I'm with Posthole. Let's really shut down the whole damn government (ie, the military including VA benefits, social security, everything) and see how folks feel about no government.

Now wait a danged minute. Are you willing to sacrifice YOUR paycheck as well? You mention "military including VA benefits, social security ...". Those aren't "entitlements" ... they are "paychecks" of sorts. Military? The last I checked, they're still working. They shouldn't be paid? I joined the military and agreed to work for $98.00/month partly in exchange for those VA benefits you say to stop. I "donated" a portion of every paycheck I ever had for 45 years in order to have Social Security when I needed it.

So, to do what you suggest ... I think it would only be fair to end ALL paychecks nationwide, government related or not. Ya' think? ;)

LJ3
10-09-2013, 10:02 AM
What the fuck does FAIR have to do with any of this? :)

Thumper
10-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Good point! :beer

Penguin
10-09-2013, 10:18 AM
What the fuck does FAIR have to do with any of this? :)

Quote of the day. Right there. :)

I'm wondering this trifling bunch really understands the differences between a government shutdown and a default. I honestly am beginning to think that they may test the waters just a tad on the debt ceiling. An echo chamber is an amazing device. You can talk yourself into about anything.

Will

BarryBobPosthole
10-09-2013, 10:48 AM
I know many of y'all hate this president. I gotta admit I don't like him or much of anything that he has done. ACA is the product of a very flawed idea and an obstinate opposition that refused to have anything to do with producing a positive solution. So it is what it is. and until the Republicans have a majority in the House and Senate where they can either meaningfully change or repeal the thing via the way our democracy is supposed to work, then it is the law of the land. and on this the president is right: governing by allowing a minority bloc to hold the country under a threat of shutdown and debt default is the most dangerous thing we could ever allow to happen. It will set a precedent for every succeeding government and we'll be in this boat arguing as it's sinking whether we have Abe Lincoln or Nikita Kruschev as president.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Sorry, I don't work for the government. You don't get to stop my paycheck. The rest of you folks on the government dole would be screwed just like hundreds of thousands of current government workers and contractors.

BarryBobPosthole
10-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Man, aren't you the threadkiller.

BKB

Big Muddy
10-09-2013, 12:17 PM
NOTICE:

I-65 will be closed tomorrow across Tennessee and Kentucky.

They are hauling a 200 ton lump of coal to Mount Rushmore in South Dakota so they

can add Barack Hussein Obama to the Mount Rushmore monument.

B. H. Obama has stated on national TV that he believes himself to be the fourth greatest

U.S. President, behind Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln but greater than Theodore Roosevelt.

They had to settle for coal, because they couldn't find a 200 ton piece of shit.

Disclaimer: I don't make this shit up....I just pass 'em on. ;)

Captain
10-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Sorry, I don't work for the government. You don't get to stop my paycheck. The rest of you folks on the government dole would be screwed just like hundreds of thousands of current government workers and contractors.
Well if they are screwed they have done it to themselves. Government is WAY to big.... And I do feel for the folks in government that are out of work, but no more then the folks that are out of work because of Obama failed policies, HIS economy, and his job killing health care plan that is and will continue to cost Americans jobs!
Oh except for 16,000 new IRS agents and the zillions new jobs created to run it....

Chicken Dinner
10-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Just for the record, the IRS is the only government agency with a proven ROI. They actually make money on every dollar spent.

In addition to shutting them down, we're going to shut down all the Ag programs and price supports too. Better stock up on milk before it goes up to $10/gallon.

BarryBobPosthole
10-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Is that why they keep insisting its really a 'slimdown'?

BKB

Captain
10-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Yea we don't what the IRS not to have enough money to make their Star track videos and have all those workshops....

I got cows, and don't drink milk
Bet the cows don't know the government is shut down.

Buckrub
10-10-2013, 05:40 PM
THIS IS THE FUNNIEST THREAD EVER ON THIS SITE, AND I WAS NOT HERE TO PARTICIPATE AT ALL.

A) The government is NOT SHUT DOWN.

B) The part of the government that is "shut down" (only using THEIR words) is not worth having. They said it was "NON ESSENTIAL", didn't they? DUH!

C) Why would ANYONE want the government to NOT be shut down? What IQ does a person have to love government?

D) THEY CLOSED THE DADGUM BOAT RAMPS AND I HAVE A WEEK TO FISH BEFORE MUZZLELOADING SEASON STARTS. NOW I AM MAD. I ALREADY PAID FOR THEM. THEY ARE NOT 'MANNED' OR REQUIRE ANYTHING. THIS IS POLITICS AT IT'S BEST.

BarryBobPosthole
10-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Yeah we wore ourselves out arguing about it. Sorry for you to have missed it. You'll have to wait until the dumbass republican 'leadership' make another classic Polish strategy move. That probably won't be long though. For someone who claims to have the majority of Americans behind the and claims to have the moral upper hand they sure are making some pretty desperate moves.

BKB

Captain
10-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Yeah we wore ourselves out arguing about it. Sorry for you to have missed it. You'll have to wait until the dumbass republican 'leadership' make another classic Polish strategy move. That probably won't be long though. For someone who claims to have the majority of Americans behind the and claims to have the moral upper hand they sure are making some pretty desperate moves. BKB

Only from your prospective.

Buckrub
10-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Could you list one or two of these desperate moves they're making so I could comment profusely???? Just as a 'makeup' sort of thing, maybe????

BarryBobPosthole
10-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Well, shutting down the government is pretty desperate, as is standing and talking about total bullshit for thirty hours on the Senate floor, not to mention forcing the country into defaulting. Those aren't exactly your run of the mill actions made by sane people is it? If you know of a successful business ran this way, I'm all ears.
BKB

Captain
10-10-2013, 06:26 PM
AGAIN..... The Senate shut the government down. The House passed a budget that totally funded everything except Bummer care... The Senate Democraps CHOOSE to shut her down. The shut down is their baby. The House did just as it is authorized by the constitution of this country. All finance bills START in the House, they have the RIGHT and the RESPONSIBILITY to fund or not fund any program. The SENATE democraps acting like spoiled kids shut it down. And Democraps have fillibusted too. In fact Democrat Strom Thurman hold the record. Same, same

Arty
10-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Not sure thats the best correlation....If America was a business it woulda been bankrupt Years ago. Eons ago.

Buckrub
10-10-2013, 06:30 PM
A Republican did that, not "The Republicans". That's not fair.

And I've missed most of it, but here's what I found out......seems Obama says "I'll negotiate anything" but what he means is "Give me a Blank Check or else", and he won't change anything. That's not negotiation.

Here's what I found out in just the last half hour:

Continuing House Resolution 59 has been passed repeatedly, each time "negotiating and compromising" things into and out of it, for days and days, and days, back to September 30, and the Senate rejects it and Potus keeps saying he'd veto it.

H.R. 3210 became law, and Potus signed it, to pay our Military, although the few commercials I've seen on TV while watching ball games, and the one time I inadvertently left ABC Nat'l "News" on too long, they said it was 'Shameful' (a great 'news' word, it seems) that Congress won't fund the military, funerals, etc. Craziness.

H.J.R 71 on 10/02 was to provide funding for Washington D.C. and again, Senate rejected, and Obama said he'd veto if passed.

H.R 73 Provided funding for N.I.H., and Senate blocked it. Obama said he'd veto it.

There's a whole bunch more.

So, I don't know who you think is playing "pure partisan politics" but you haven't mentioned the Democrats as having any guilt, not once, and man..........sure seems like it's the Republicans who are trying to negotiate, and the Democrats just simply sit and reject every proposal, while coming up with none of their own save "Give us a blank check or we'll hold our noses till the government defaults and then we'll blame you". You think that's negotiating?

Oh, and I STILL don't see how the government is "shut down". I see some bogus, b/s stuff shut down, and a few things that might be useful.........but the sun came up, the army is protecting us, and 'non essential' bloaters have sat down on vacation, with the PROMISE OF BACK PAY WHEN THIS IS SETTLED!!! That's not a shutdown. That's a paid vacation.

P.S.
NO successful business would EVER dream up the Ponzi Scheme of Social Security. Geez.

P.S.S.
Do you REALLY want me to list all the bogus stuff that Democrats have filibustered over, in past years? Seriously???? You want to cherry pick your political discussions, seems to me, Redhead.

Buckrub
10-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Oh, and by the way........I consider Thomas Sowell to be the smartest man in America, and absolutely, hands-down, the most perceptive. Stanford Professor, credentialed out the wazoo, educated, and insightful. I wrote him in for POTUS once. I would vote for him for Benevolent Dictator if we had one.

So, for you to call him "My Hack" is............is.............is a compliment so high, so wonderful, so magnanimous, that I have been in tears for hours.

Thank you, sir.

Buckrub
10-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Oh, and one MORE thing (SORRY I didn't get a chance before, ok? Sheesh)........

I said a year ago that there is no 'fixing' this country. No amount of tweaks and changes and 'compromises' is going to work, or last. It is going to take utter, total chaos, because nothing else will lead to the absolutely required mulligan that we need to start completely over. This system is a goner, and it needs replaced, not fixed. It won't ever be replaced if we keep feeding the fishes little bites of b/s.

So maybe, just maybe, this will do it. I doubt it. Such an action would bankrupt me, for sure. But it is needed for my grandkids.

And yours.

HideHunter
10-10-2013, 10:35 PM
The thing I haven't seen discussed - and quite possibly I missed it - and hell, correct me if I'm wrong. . We (okay, the Republicans) had ObamaCare shoved down our/their throats.. little to no discussion or debate - the Democrats had the votes and passed it.. POTUS signed it - done deal..

Well, now the Republicans (or at least the Tea Party) is/are swinging a bit of that lumber and they want things to go the other way.. and, suddenly, *they* are the assholes.?. One of my favorite sayings... "It all depends on whose ox is being gored."

Captain
10-11-2013, 06:17 AM
You hit the nail on the head HH. Seems like some people have selective memories when it come to what happened. If you remember when OBummer care first started growing roots there was Senator from Mass named Kennedy that died... And shock of all shock a REPUBLICAN got that seat! So they (the Dems) knew if they allowed debate or compromise on the bill time would run on and this new senator Brown would take office and the swing vote would be to shut it down.
So that's way Republicans were not given a chance to like or dislike any part of it. Remember Pee-losi said "we need to pass it so we can find out what's in it"..

From that point on it is, has been, and always will be a tainted law/Bill.

Who knows IF the Republicans had been given a chance to read it and understand it perhaps there would have been compromise THEN and we would not be here now...

So every bit of this is the results of the short sided, narrow vision, got to have our way, underhanded, back door, shit the Democraps stirred up and shoved down Americas throats...

This is the Screwing we get for the screwing we got....

Take Care, Captain