PDA

View Full Version : Where's the common sense?

DeputyDog
10-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Fishing as a Felony
Teen Faces Prison Time for Leaving Fishing Equipment in High School Parking Lot
By Evan Bernick
The “zero tolerance” idiot parade marches on, leaving innocent people in its wake. This time, it’s a teenage fisherman, and he’s facing felony charges.
We’ve written recently [2] about children who’ve been suspended because of their schools’ zero tolerance policies concerning weapons. Yesterday, that idiocy reached new heights as 17-year-old Cody Chitwood, a student at Lassiter High School in Cobb County, Georgia, was charged [3] with a felony for bringing weapons into a school zone.
The weapons? Fishing knives. They were in his truck. In a tackle box.
Georgia law states that any knife “having a blade of two or more inches” is a weapon, and that anyone who carries a weapon onto school property by that very act is guilty of a crime.
This is an example of a “strict liability” crime—one that does not require that an offender have a culpable mental state in order to be found guilty. Laws of this kind, which are distressingly common nowadays, break with the traditional understanding of criminal law as reserved for those who have done something, well, wrong and deserve punishment.
If the district attorney decides to prosecute, Cody could face a minimum of two years in prison and up to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine. Besides the deprivation of freedom he’d suffer, a felony conviction would be more than enough to compromise his academic career and future job prospects. Cody knows it and has said that he is hoping to get the felony charge dropped so that he can still fulfill his dream of serving in the Air Force.
Thankfully, local legislators have identified the problem. “The public expects the same good common sense they use every day of their lives to apply to the laws of our state, and we as legislators seek nothing less,” said state Representative Ed Setzler (R) in a statement. “We’ll inspect the current state of the law, but our school leaders don’t like it, our law enforcement doesn’t like it, and we’re finding out the citizens who understand the current state of the law certainly don’t like it.” Laws that are thus at odds with the common sense of the community and contain such draconian penalties have no place in any statute book in this country.
It’s no consolation to the victims of absurd laws that those who draft them and enforce them mean well. Cody should not be prosecuted, but the very possibility that he could be charged should serve as an occasion for legal reform. Here’s hoping that Setzler and responsible local officials act quickly before another innocent kid finds himself facing hard time.

Thumper
10-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Stupid? Yes! But, one question kinda jumps out at me. He had a "fishing knife" in his truck ... in a tackle box.

Ok, now how did anyone know about it? Who complained? Do all vehicles entering the school parking lot get an extensive search? I get the feeling something is missing here. Was he cleaning his catch on the tailgate of his truck in the parking lot?

Captain
10-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Stuff has gotten too stupid for common sense to fix.. Did you see where the NFL said no off duty officers can carry a concealed weapon to a NFL game? WTF? The NFL don't own the venue... Most are publicly owned and most officers are required under policy to carry off duty.... Dumbass NFL Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

quercus alba
10-09-2013, 01:26 PM
The stupidity goes on and on

Kentucky high schools put an end to postgame handshakes

The Kentucky High School Athletic Association issued a strange, seemingly counter-productive directive Tuesday: No more postgame handshakes.

Citing more than 20 fights and other altercations over the past three years, the KHSAA has banned handshakes after games and meets in baseball, basketball, football, soccer, softball, volleyball and wrestling.

“It is disappointing that this action has become necessary, but enough incidents have occurred both in our state and in others that the necessity has arrived,” the KHSAA said in a statement.

There is a bit of a loophole, though it requires everyone acting appropriately after games. If teams decide to shake hands and there are no altercations, no action will be taken.

If there is an altercation, however, the schools' athletic departments will be penalized.

Beyond that, any officials involved in "postgame activities" will be penalized.

So there you have it, kids: Play hard, play fair, and don't dignify your opponents with respect after competing.

According to the Louisville (Ky.) Courier-Journal, Several schools are meeting Thursday to try to find a resolution that would both honor the mandate and allow for postgame handshakes.

“People are going to think we're being bad sports if we don't shake hands,” a Louisville high school's athletic director told the paper. “Hopefully we can come up with something.”

LW
10-09-2013, 04:17 PM
This reminds me of a discussion I had with a friend of mine that is in the marshal service. He said he won't go to an event at the BOK Center because they won't allow him to carry his firearm in the building. I understand the theory of off duty officers carrying their firearm but in a building where everybody goes through security screening, I feel safe without my handgun. I tried assuring him that I have been there many times and never needed a firearm but he won't budge. I tend to think it might be ego than anything for the most part. I admit, I had to swallow my pride when they told me that I couldn't carry my fire axe in there with me.

Captain
10-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Fine let the NFL build their own fu@kin' Stadiums and they can put their rules in effect. As long as they are built with tax payers dollars they are publicly owned.
Taxpayers ain't got no business supporting ball games anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
10-09-2013, 04:28 PM
They'd like to keep me from bringing my hands and feet in there too, all four of them registered weapons, but they're willing to compromise in my case. I just have to promise to be good.

BKB

DeputyDog
10-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Apparently he had some firecrackers in his car too, and a dog searching the parking lot hit on the gunpowder. That's why they searched his car.

Thumper
10-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Glad they weren't sniffing around Barry's truck. He has dynamite in his tackle box! ;)

DeputyDog
10-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Barry, I don't believe you one bit one that. Everyone knows that there is no such thing as compromise in this country.

BarryBobPosthole
10-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Troof!