PDA

View Full Version : THE OBAMACARE LAWS ----------------------->

Niner
10-11-2013, 11:38 AM
So, I got to thinking.....the only things that I "know" about the ACA laws are what I've read, viewed, and heard in the media......and political bloviation.

So I decided to do a little research, and found a government website that is open, and has the laws posted there for viewing and/or downloading.

https://www.healthcare.gov/where-can-i-read-the-affordable-care-act/

Official certified full-text of the laws in PDF form:

Certified full-text version: Affordable Care Act (PDF – 2.41 MB)
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-111publ148/pdf/PLAW-111publ148.pdf

Certified full-text version: Reconciliation Act (PDF – 257 KB)
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-111publ152/pdf/PLAW-111publ152.pdf

Full Text of the Affordable Care Act and Reconciliation Act (PDF – 2.6 MB)
This is not the official version, they provided it for convenience.
http://docs.house.gov/energycommerce/ppacacon.pdf

One thing that I noticed right off the bat is the combined page tally of the two documents is less than 1,000 pages. What happened to the thousands of pages that I keep hearing EVERYONE, left and right, in the media talking about? Did I not find the correct document(s)?

While I doubt I will read the whole thing.......at least having it on my computer in PDF format, I can search it for stuff.

It's looking more and more like this "law of the land's" implementation is inevitable, so forewarned is forearmed and all that. Of course, Prohibition was once the "law of the land" too.....I think I'll need a stiff drink whilst perusing these files!
:banghead :smash :pissed

Buckrub
10-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Excellent Icons!!

BarryBobPosthole
10-11-2013, 11:46 AM
No doubt it needs to be fixed. I wish they'd commit to some sort of review process for the major elements of the law and update the thing annually. I work in process, and its my living. to create a new process and not have governance so that the process is measured, reviewed, and updated on some sort of recurring basis is just insanity. Yet our government does that exact thing with almost every thing that is made law.

And another thing, we've got to move the conversation from what happens to the 'outliers' to what is happening to the mainstream. No law is going to provide improvement for every single insured or uninsured person. But it it does it for 80% then maybe we ought to consider that a success and try to address the rest in later versions of the thing.

Anyway, its smart to have the law itself to refer to, Niner. Although I swore I was going to take a break from this at least for the weekend. What a sucker I am!

BKB

Buckrub
10-11-2013, 11:51 AM
I have a personal, first hand example. Just one little item, but it's one that many people misunderstand.

My brother is on food stamps. Arkansas (no idea how many other states voted this in, but we did) voted to make Health Insurance available to 250,000 low-income residents (close to 10% of our population) by giving them Medicaid. Medicaid is normally only available to disabled folks, or people over 65 that can't get Medicare. It's not available to people solely because they are poor. But Arkansas Legislature voted to pay for, and offer to, this group.

My brother got a letter from DHS that said, almost verbatim "You get SNAP benefits. Thus, you are eligible for Free Health Insurance. Sign this form and return it by September 25 if you want Free Health Insurance". Which he did.

So that's a part of Obamacare that would never have happened without it.

And of course he would never buy it on his own. No job, no income, nothing. The IRS could NOT fine him because he hasn't filed taxes in many years. So they'd have to issue warrants for such people in order to fine them.

Also, my 20 year old grandson was covered by his Mother (my daughter) although he was not in school. She loved that part of it. I'm sure someone somewhere paid for that, but she loved it. He is now employed and not an issue any more, but that was another aspect of it.

Those are the only two first hand comments I have.

Second hand, my friend who runs a Resort and is naturally Self Employed got a notice from his Insurer saying "You are no longer covered. We are going out of business". So he and his family and only 2 employees (his daughter and son in law), are now without insurance come Jan 1. They are legally bound to go find some, but they haven't found any yet. This is second hand, from him......and I know nothing of the details.

From an opinion standpoint, this law works in the same way Social Security works. It only works IF the young, healthy, currently uninsured, go out and pay into the system. For Social Security, they are required to so that old folks can draw out. No choice if they work. Now this will work just like that. Trouble is, these are normally folks who don't buy it, cause they don't need it. So now they're mad.

Niner
10-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Barry, I'm "still on break". Listened to the "Classic Rock" station yesterday, and only turned on the TV long enough to watch the Big Bang comedy show. Got the classic jams on even now as a matter of fact...........HEALLLLING music!!

I just had a thought that I'd see if the stuff was online and downloadable. I AIN'T gonna look at it this weekend for sure....BUT I have it on my confuser so I can refer to it when I hear someone "quoting" it. What's that old Reagan expression..."Trust, but verify"!!

BarryBobPosthole
10-11-2013, 12:05 PM
I thought it was "Why yes, Mommy!"

BKB

Captain
10-11-2013, 05:30 PM
I thought it was "Why yes, Mommy!" BKB

No you are thinking of Klinton....
Oh yes, yes, yes, YES! YES!!!!! Mon-i-ca.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Arty
10-11-2013, 05:51 PM
I did not have sexual relations with that woman.