PDA

View Full Version : Jambayla--crawfish pie--file' gumbo....🎶🎼🎶

Big Muddy
10-11-2013, 11:44 PM
With the onset of cooler weather, Ive been wanting some gumbo, so I picked up the fixings at the Kroger store, on my way to the lake house.
Oysters, shrimp, and sausage in mine.
Only chicken and sausage for wifey.
Couldn't find any oysters on the half shell, so I had to settle for these at Kroger.
They are the biggest freshest tasiest oysters that Ive eaten, with the exception of those right off the boat.
If you like oysters, and can find these in your store, give 'em a try.
Farm-raised in Washington state.

LW
10-12-2013, 01:07 AM
That looks delicious. Feel like sharing the recipe buddy ol pal?

Arty
10-12-2013, 05:12 AM
Man does that look good! Wowsers!

Arty
10-12-2013, 06:27 AM
I've looked at this picture 3 times this morning.
Dang you Eddie!

Captain
10-12-2013, 06:47 AM
We had us a helping of smoked baby oysters and sharp cheddar on ritz crackers last night, some dove poppers, and pig dip, steak, salad, baked taters tea and liquid corn to wash it all down.... I sure like the looks of the Gumbo there Eddie. Is it something the cooking impaired like myself can do?

Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
10-12-2013, 07:22 AM
Anybody who'd suck down a slimy oyster would suck the snot straight from a pig's nose.

That said, Lynn love's 'em ... they make me gag 'til I almost barf up my toenails! :disgust:

Arty
10-12-2013, 07:32 AM
Pigeon poppers!
Man them is good eats!

quercus alba
10-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Cap'ns gonna have to turn in his mancard talking about cooking after ragging on on all of us who prepare haute cuisine on a regular basis.

Captain
10-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Ah that would be Thumper that gives y'all hell ABOUT cooking. I just said I'm cooking impaired and thus don't do it. There are certain things I CAN cook, but they have to be easy. Like the dove poppers, pig dip, Rice Krispies marshmallow treats etc. I can make sweet tea! That's something.
I still say and will always believe that wimmins invented the back yard grill and promote it as being manly to cook outside just to negate their work in the Kitchen.
Basically I'm a call me when it's done kinda guy. But I can tell you that Conine knows what happening when it comes to cooking some pulled BBQ!
Take Care, Captain

Niner
10-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Nah.....He's just learning a man can't live on Dinty Moore and Jack Links forever. :)

Buckrub
10-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Hypocrite.

:)

quercus alba
10-12-2013, 09:39 AM
I'm smack dab in the middle of cooking a big old venison stew. Carrots, parsnips, celery, sweet taters, red taters, lots of onions and a couple lbs of stew meat. Might have to make a pan of biscuits to go with it.

should be ready by the time the Hogs kick off

Buckrub
10-12-2013, 09:46 AM
I'm gonna go fix breakfast. I love breakfast.

Big Muddy
10-12-2013, 10:26 AM
I wish I could say its an old family recipe. But it aint. ;)
I watched an old coonass cook a duck gumbo several years ago, and took a few mental notes.
You can add any type of meat or seafood you desire; not only duck.

Make a dark roux with bacon drippings and flour.

Bring 6 cups of chicken stock to a boil.

Then, add the following, according to your taste:

Sea salt - red and black pepper - paprika - minced onion and garlic - red and green bell pepper - diced celery - gumbo file' - half cup basmati or jasmine rice - bay leaf

Add meats at start of simmer---add seafood at last of simmer.

Simmer on low heat and stir frequently for an hour.

Remove from heat and cover and let sit for an other hour.

Okra is optional. Sometimes I add it and sometimes I don't.

Wish I could be more specific on the quantity of each ingredient, but I just add them until it tastes good.

It's really hard to screw up a gumbo. ;)

Captain
10-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Yea see, No, That's above my pay grade. That will be one I'll just have to eat not cook... Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Big Muddy
10-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Aww, come on Cap....give it a try....like I said, it's really hard to screw up a gumbo. ;)

P.S. Thump, I got a few of those big ole snotty oysters left over. Gonna make me an oyster and cheese omelet for breakfast.

Buckrub
10-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Bravest man in the history of this planet was the first guy to eat an oyster.

Captain
10-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Bravest man in the history of this planet was the first guy to eat an oyster.

Nope it was the first guy to eat an egg... Imagine a buncha' cavemen sitting around and one looks at the other and say, I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes out that Chickens ass!

Big Muddy
10-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Both of ya be wrong....first guy to eat a chittlin'....hahaha, he was prolly kin to me!!! ;)

Arty
10-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Me thinks cappy may be holding his cards close to the vest on this cooking thing.
He knows his way around some bacon and dove breasts. Oh and sausage and rotel

LW
10-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Ok, the gumbo is on. I went with chicken, sausage, shrimp and CANNED oysters (I do live in rural Oklahoma).

Big Muddy
10-12-2013, 12:43 PM
You coulda used some "mountain oysters".
Okla. oughta have plenty of those. ;)