PDA

View Full Version : Good news for Yankees

Captain
10-12-2013, 06:57 AM
Not so good news for Copperheads! Seems there is some kinda fungus that is killing snakes. There was one found in Spartanburg County SC last month.

Take Care, Captain

A copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix) that was found in Spartanburg County has tested positive for Snake Fungal Disease (Ophidiomyces ophiodiicola). This is the first verified case of Snake Fungal Disease in South Carolina. Scientists from the Copperhead Institute retrieved a Copperhead from Spartanburg County that exhibited symptoms of fungal infection. The snake subsequently died and was submitted to the United States Geological Survey’s (USGS) National Wildlife Health Center, where a necropsy was performed. Results indicate the presence of Snake Fungal Disease and dehydration as the cause of death. "The emergence of Snake Fungal Disease is of great concern. It is being detected more and more frequently in wild populations," said S.C. Department of Natural Resources herpetologist Will Dillman. "Those populations may not be well equipped to deal with a novel pathogen. Its association with significant population declines in some species is troubling." Snake Fungal Disease has been identified as a potential threat to wild snakes and has been associated with significant population declines in some species in the Northeast. Some species of snakes seem to be more susceptible to the pathogen. The USGS reports that increased numbers of snakes from the eastern and mid-western United States are showing signs of fungal dermatitis and are being submitted to the National Wildlife Health Center.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
10-12-2013, 07:32 AM
Scientists from the Copperhead Institute retrieved a Copperhead from Spartanburg County that exhibited symptoms of fungal infection.

So let me try to wrap my head around this. Some dufe finds a dead snake, calls the "Copperhead Institute" and they send a crew over to pick it up and take it back to the lab for an examination? Then they in-turn take it to the United States Geological Survey’s (USGS) National Wildlife Health Center? Now, is THAT a "necessary" government entity not affected by the "shut-down?" ;)

Captain
10-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Good Lord man that is funny, cause I thought the SAME thing when I read the article.
Take Care, Captain

Buckrub
10-12-2013, 09:07 AM
I can't fathom life anymore. This is not real, is it?

There IS a Copperhead Institute? Is there a Water Moccasin Institute? Rattlesnake? Are they ALL still open??? Boat ramps locked up, but we can investigate sick snakes.

Who runs this show?

Captain
10-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Nope sad to say but it's real...
Here the link to the government website with the information.

http://dnr.sc.gov/news/yr2013/oct10/oct10_snake.html

DeputyDog
10-12-2013, 09:27 AM
You hit it on the head there Cappy. That is definitely some good news as far as I'm concerned. I guess I'm a typical Yankee, because I can't stand snakes. Do my best to avoid them and take a wide circle if I see one. Even the little ones that we have around NE Indiana, although we do have a few Massasauga rattlers in this area.

Big Muddy
10-12-2013, 11:02 AM
GOOD !!!.... couldnt have happened to a nastier sneakier little bastage.
Only snake I really fear.
Totally camoflauged and will let you literally step on him with no warning.