PDA

View Full Version : Sighting In The Old Smokepole...

Niner
10-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Our muzzle loader season opened ....ummmmm...yesterday.
We were working down at The Farm trying to get some of the weeds cut. A lot of them hadn't been cut since I got sick (two years). Anyway...one of the things on my list was to make sure the rifles are sighted in and ready for opening day if rifle season....next Saturday.

Got my new Winny fine tuned, and the Mrs' 7mm-08. Then I got out my Smokepole to see if I could hit the broad side of a barn. It's an Old School T/C Hawken in 45 cal. Last year I flat out missed what SHOULD have been a darned easy shot at a doe 30 yards away.

Decided to try something different this year, and wanted to shoot before I "hunt" with it.

Loading an "old school" T/C 240gr Maxi Ball with 80gr of FFFg Goex Black Powder.

The first two shots were at 50 yards, then moved target up to 30 yards. 45 yards is prolly the farthest I'd shoot where I'm hunting anyway. Not too bad for old eyes and peep sights.

Niner
10-13-2013, 01:26 PM
BLAST! Wish I could figger out this picture orientation stuff.

Captain
10-13-2013, 01:50 PM
That some might fine sideways shooting there Crow-9.
Glad you got started reclaiming the wildlife retreat!
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
10-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Niner at target practice! :D

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uUEDA-Lz6rI/UGxccvgmBkI/AAAAAAAAA6o/45F5lxYAfpg/s400/Thug%2Bwith%2BSide%2BGrip%2Bon%2BPistol.jpg

Buckrub
10-13-2013, 02:49 PM
iPhone issue. Google it. But I can see it well enough to see it's good shootin'!!!

GO WHACK ONE.

Booger
10-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Thump, you know why them gangbangers holds dey guns dat way? Cause that's how dey came out da box!

Niner
10-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Well, IF I get a chance at one of those BYD's this week....and miss ... I got no excuses now!

One thing I noticed, and Mrs noted it too. This FFFg load produced a LOT LESS smoke than the old FFg I've been burning for years. I need to do some research and see if I can find out why dat is. I am guessing better ignition due to finer grains, but that's just a SWAG.