PDA

View Full Version : I double-dog dare ya' ....

Thumper
10-13-2013, 06:01 PM
... to watch this video all the way through without laughing your ass off! (for youse REALLY OLD guys!)

Lynn and I were driving back from the store earlier and she said "something" about a bird. Some obscure little statement and something just clicked in my brain. All of a sudden I started singing "Surfin' Bird" (by The Trashmen). It just popped into my head out'ta nowhere. Of course, as I sang away totally enjoying myself, she was looking at me like I'd lost my mind and was ready to call the "men in the white coats" to come pick me up and have me committed. Anyway, it took me back to about the 6th grade and for a few minutes I felt like a kid again. As soon as I got home, I just HAD to see if there was a YouTube video. I think the last time I heard this song was in the movie "Full Metal Jacket".

If you want to embarrass yourself in front of your kids, show 'em this video and let them know this made the top of the record charts back when you were a teen. (Remember, I dare you to watch the whole thing and keep a straight face as this verifies that white boys can't dance!) :D

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TnaN80DCMoQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Captain
10-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Thumper you are old as dirt!
:D

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

quercus alba
10-13-2013, 09:01 PM
I wasn't aware they had crack back then

Thumper
10-13-2013, 11:39 PM
Hey! That was a HIT back in the day! :headbang

I just Googled it ... looks like it hit #4 on the charts.

Dennis
10-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Hey Jim I sing that one every once in a while and it's done solo that no one can hear ha. but you comment about men in white coats reminded me of this one do you remember it?

Remember when you ran away
And I got on my knees
And begged you not to leave
Because I'd go beserk

Well you left me anyhow
And then the days got worse and worse
And now you see I've gone
Completely out of my mind

And they're coming to take me away ha-haaa
They're coming to take me away ho ho hee hee ha haaa
To the funny farm
Where life is beautiful all the time
And I'll be happy to see those nice young men
In their clean white coats
And they're coming to take me away ha haaa

jb
10-14-2013, 07:57 AM
We did have some great music back then, didn't we.:adoration:

Thumper
10-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Ha ha! Dennis, great to see you posting! Yeah, I remember it well. Did you know it charted better than the above mentioned song? Yeah, believe it or not, it hit number 3 on the charts! The "FULL" version is almost 10 mins. long ... don't EVEN attempt to listen to the whole thing or the "men in the white coats" really will have to come and get you! :D

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0WmbbFD_XhQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thumper
10-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Ha ha! This could get crazy. I keep thinking of songs from when I was a kid. I remember one summer I went to YMCA Day Camp. We were bussed out to a lake on the edge of town to go swimming ("out in the country" in those days) and the "instructors" gathered all us kids together as a group. They told us not to wander off into the woods because the "One-Eyed, One-Horned, Flyin' Purple People Eater" lived in those woods and he'd "get us!" Needless to say, we didn't wander off into the woods! This was (believe it or not), number 1 on the charts when it came out in 1958!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Rx47qrH1GRs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Niner
10-14-2013, 10:23 AM
They may not have had crack back then, but there was lots of other stuff.

All manner of amphetamines, barbiturates, psychotropic drugs, stuff from the "far east", and so on. Don't y'all watch Dragnet re-runs on TV Land

quercus alba
10-14-2013, 11:21 AM
many years ago, a new radio station started up and for 24 hrs a day, 7 straight days they played one tune...."they're coming to take me away". Talk about a not so subliminal message.

Amazing how many people would listen to it for hours at a time